C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NLS - anyone have anything break using this feature?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Kaged
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default NLS - anyone have anything break using this feature?

Finally go to use the NLS (no lift shift) this past weekend on the race course and it worked great. Only used it on the straights when passing other cars, and the car definitely had less speed loss between shifts.
One of my instructors commented on how much his head was moving as a result of these shifts. And you can definitely feel more of a driveline "impact" compared to my normal shifts.

Went through the threads and saw where Tadge stated the car was designed to handle the NLS. Having broken various driveline items over the years when speed shifting, I am still somewhat hesitant to use this feature.
Just curious if anyone that routinely uses NLS on the track has had any drivetrain issues.
TIA,
Bill
Old 01-20-2017, 04:55 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I noticed a few places where doing it triggered the PTM, even in race mode, because as you described it is a bit abrupt so I generally do not use the NLS. If I use it at all, it will the 3-4 shift and only on a straight.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

The only practical place to use it is on a drag strip. Car has to be going 100 % straight, and where tenths of a second count. Can not see any benefit on a road course, not shifting on straights to much. With so little use, there shouldn't be any harm and as Tadge says, the car is validated for its use.
I have used it testing 1-2 shifts on the street and a couple of passes down the 1/4 mile track, no issues at all.

Last edited by BJ67; 01-20-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I use for 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 shifts in the straights. That works out to 7 times a lap at VIR and I do believe it substantially reduced my lap times. No issues with breaking anything but I find that sometimes the PTM will kick in and cause the car to momentarily slow. That is the only thing that has me reconsidering using it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
cvp33 (01-21-2017), Kaged (01-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To NLS - anyone have anything break using this feature?

Quick Reply: NLS - anyone have anything break using this feature?