C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside temp not displaying

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 PM
vetteandv
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Outside temp not displaying

Anyone have the outside temp not show up on your screen? Since the day I took delivery of the car my infotainment screen never displayed the outside temp. All I have are two dash marks and a degree symbol. Anyway to reset it? 2017 Grand Sport
Old 03-11-2017, 10:07 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor. It's located in the passenger side of the front grill.
The following users liked this post:
Evan Sanza (06-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2017, 01:17 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I just changed my battery and when I installed the new one, the outside temp. was blank..
After a few starts it came back.

If checking connections on sensor does not work, you might try disconnecting battery to reset everything.

Since yours was never there, you may just have a defective temp sensor.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 03-13-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by vetteandv
Anyone have the outside temp not show up on your screen? Since the day I took delivery of the car my infotainment screen never displayed the outside temp. All I have are two dash marks and a degree symbol. Anyway to reset it? 2017 Grand Sport
mine did this for several weeks after purchase. I went in for the airbag reprogram and told the dealer about it, but after the airbag programming was done the temp was showing up.

I did do something about a month later that made me unhook the battery, and it went back to not displaying for a day, but then it came back again on it's own.

How long has yours been in this state?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:46 PM
cambrown47
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Temp. display on center screen is stuck on 79 degrees. Could the problem be related to the driver's airbag that was recently disengaged/engaged to change A8 paddles (because I just had to have red ones, you know!). 2017 GS, 2LT.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:44 PM
phatpipez
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the exact same problem since I picked up our new C7 last month. The external temperature was always just two dashes. Finally got a chance to take in to the dealer today. They contacted some Infotainment engineers at GM. Apparently this is a known problem if the car's battery goes dead at some time (probably when the car was in the showroom).
The technician had to reset the Infotainment center and the temperature was back.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 AM
anderdea
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by phatpipez
I had the exact same problem since I picked up our new C7 last month. The external temperature was always just two dashes. Finally got a chance to take in to the dealer today. They contacted some Infotainment engineers at GM. Apparently this is a known problem if the car's battery goes dead at some time (probably when the car was in the showroom).
The technician had to reset the Infotainment center and the temperature was back.
I purchased a used 2014 and the only thing I can see wrong with it (only has 18000 miles) is the outside temp indicator also just has the two dashes on the infotainment screen. Being new to the C7, I’m not totally up to speed on the infotainment center functionality. If I disconnect the battery to try to reset the outside temp sensor, (and where’s the best place to disconnect the battery since it’s hidden) do I loose all my settings in the infotainment center? Also it says here that the tech reset the infotainment center. Is that something I can do? Does anyone know if the outside temperature interacts with the heating and AC system? Before my Chevy dealer soaks me for a fix, I’d like to see if there’s other options,
Old 04-23-2019, 01:21 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

The battery is in the right rear floor of the trunk / hatch. Be careful not to tear the carpet. Disconnect the negative terminal for about 30 min.

Lower the windows before you disconnect the battery. You will need to reindex the windows. All other settings will be maintained.

Jerry u's writeup gives you all the info you could possibly need:

http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

Ron

Last edited by RonC7; 04-23-2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-23-2019, 04:50 PM
anderdea
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RonC7
The battery is in the right rear floor of the trunk / hatch. Be careful not to tear the carpet. Disconnect the negative terminal for about 30 min.

Lower the windows before you disconnect the battery. You will need to reindex the windows. All other settings will be maintained.

Jerry u's writeup gives you all the info you could possibly need:

http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

Ron
Thanks for the reply. Reindex the windows? Not sure what that intales . I have a convertible and I know there is a window process that does something when the top is put down. Wouldn’t want to screw that up.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

This used to be called reindexing the windows. If the windows are not programmed (reindexed) and the convertible trunk divider is not in position, the convertible top won't work. Looks like the recent manual changed the wording from reindex to program:

Window Indexing

When fully closed, indexing automatically lowers the window a small amount when the door is opened. When the door is closed, the window will raise to its previous position. If either window does not index properly, it could be due to loss of power. Before seeing your dealer for service, program the power windows.

Programming the Power Windows:

Programming may be necessary if the vehicle's battery has been disconnected or discharged. If the window is unable to express-up,follow these steps to program the window:To program the window:

1. Close all doors.
2. Place the ignition in ACC/ACCESSORY or ON/RUN.
3. Partially open the window to be programmed, then close it and continue to pull the switch briefly after the window has fully closed.
4. Press the power window switch until the window is fully open and briefly hold.

Manuals and other good info are in the Sticky Threads section above. Take some time to browse and you'll find all kinds of good stuff.

Ron
The following users liked this post:
anderdea (04-23-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Outside temp not displaying

Quick Reply: Outside temp not displaying