C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM
tweaker91
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS question

I'm hoping someone can help me out here as I have searched the web and forum for a clear answer on this. I autocross my 2017 C7 once a month. The problem I'm trying to get an answer to is, can you run a second set of tires, with no TPMS sensors, and not have the computer interfere with the normal operation of the car?

I have a set of RE71Rs that I can mount to an old set of rims, but I don't want to mount them if I absolutely have to get sensors. I only would use those rims/tires on race days, so I would not need the car to tell me what the pressures were.

I was told, by a friend with a newer Camaro, that I would get a warning light on the dash, but it could be dismissed and still drive in Track/Competition mode with no issues. Any insight into the inner workings would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

There is no issues other than the light in the dash.
It will blink for about 30 seconds and then glow steady.
Everything will work as normal.
I have my drag radials mounted without the sensors and have no problems.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM
tweaker91
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I will get out tomorrow and have them mounted.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Not wanting to cause trouble but my experience with the C6 was that not only would it have AH/TC problems but it would also lose power. But it didn't happen immediately. It would take something like 20 miles before it happened.

If this his turns out to be true for the C7 also, somebody came up with a brilliant solution: put 4 TPMS's in a pvc tube that is sealed on both ends with a Schraeder valve threaded into one cap. Pressurize it with air and keep it in the glove box.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
....If this his turns out to be true for the C7....
Fortunately it's not true for the C7!!

You might have problems if you run, say, two wheels with sensors and two without. In that case, if the TPMS computer is getting data from a couple of sensors, it may think that the other couple sensors are bad, and it might give you some problems. Mike Jesse said in his post that he does that with a set of DR's with no problem, but I think for a longer period of time running a 20+ minute HPDE session, you might have some problems.

However, it's well established that if you run a set of 4 wheels/tires without any sensors, you won't have any problem other than a light. There are quite a few track hounds here on the forum that run roadcourse track events with no sensors at all, and they have no problems.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 AM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Not wanting to cause trouble but my experience with the C6 was that not only would it have AH/TC problems but it would also lose power. But it didn't happen immediately. It would take something like 20 miles before it happened.

If this his turns out to be true for the C7 also, somebody came up with a brilliant solution: put 4 TPMS's in a pvc tube that is sealed on both ends with a Schraeder valve threaded into one cap. Pressurize it with air and keep it in the glove box.
Doesn't work. The C7 has sensors that detect tire rotation for each wheel.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Why not buy a set of take off TPMS sensors (avail for $80-100) and be done with it.

Let me know if interested.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:24 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The system will work just fine if you don't have any sensors in your wheels. Unlike the C6 it will tell you there is a problem by lighting the yellow tire light and force the DIC to show you there is a problem (which has to be dismissed so you can read the instruments).

If you do put sensors in another set of wheels that will work as well. The car will reprogram to accept them. Usually that occurs within a few minutes but the last time I took my car to the track it took a day before the sensors were accepted.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS question

Quick Reply: TPMS question