C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:49 PM
bobs-z51
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Launch control?

Is there launch control on a m7?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Yes. It's in the OM and there are YouTube videos on it.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:49 AM
FlatPlaneCrankDreams
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs-z51
Is there launch control on a m7?
It's pretty much useless. You are better off launching it yourself
Old 04-22-2017, 10:25 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by mesparza
It's pretty much useless. You are better off launching it yourself
Well, that's just stupid. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have never used it. Having the computer doing all the work sorta takes the fun out of the launch. I have noticed that shifting to second or third can cause the rear tires to lose traction and start the rear end to drift off line, got to be careful.

Last edited by Larry/car; 04-23-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:26 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I have never used it. Having the computer doing all the work sorta takes the fun out of the launch. I have noticed that shifting to second or third can cause the rear tires to lose traction and start the rear end to drift off line, got to be careful.
shifting to 2nd or 3rd can cause rear tires to lose traction and might drift off line like spin out?!?!?! that sounds very dangerous. did you have traction on or stability control on?

so to activate the launch control you floor it right? and rpm will stop at 3 to 4k? and when you clutch in I guess computer won't let it go to redline (since you got gas pedal all the way down) and will manage it and go up gradually? while you have gas fully depressed?

just wondering, mayve some situation you can use launch control and take it easy, some situation you want to do it manually for best result

also dumping the clutch is it totally fine on the RWD with stock tires, how about drag radial.

Last edited by okaythen; 05-06-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 AM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts

I will answer this question as I USE launch control every time. 33 runs at the drag strip to be specific so I am no expert but have done my fair share with this system. I have a 2015 Z06 M7 -shark gray; running Mickey Thompson ET SS Drag radials on the rear and nitto invos on the front. I run consistent 10.7's. Maybe I could do better but with my setup and my driving style, I like the fact that out of 33 runs, I have won every single race (by a distance) and I feel comfortable doing this. This includes other vettes, srt's, pro charged mustangs, hellcats, etc. so before anyone gets toooo critical of my amateur skills, I have raced descent cars. I have the Gopro for all races as well. I am not trying to toot my horn, just stating that often people comment on hear-say and no actual experience. I am currently deployed but I have a couple of videos on youtube that you can look up. My system out here will not let me send you the link but if you go to Google, type Jeffrey Beasley Z06...a few links down, you will see Jeffrey Beasley Z06 vs Zl1 Camaro. This will show you the race, wheel spin, and how the car acts utilizing launch control.
Your questions and what I do:
-Turn Dial to Race then scroll over to sport 1. Do not press the button once you get to sport 1. I do this after my burnout prior to staging at the lights. It will disappear off the screen but you are ready
-pull to prestage and wait for competitor
-pull to stage light. Let off brake immediately while in 1st gear
-WOT and the car will level out at around 3500 rpm. HOLD WOT until the last launch light and DUMP CLUTCH. Do not feather or work clutch or throttle until you shift to second.
*2nd, 3rd, and 4th is all you. Remember you are hauling tale until the first shift. I usually do not get squirrelly between any shift.
*my learning curves - 1)pressing brakes DEACTIVATES the launch control 2) do NOT feather clutch. The launch control nannies only work with WOT and dumping the clutch. I forgot to dump the clutch completely once and smelled my clutch for hours (I call it a learning curve but burnt the crap out of it).
Just my 2 cents. The hardest part is all this happens fast. Water box burnout, turning dial then to sport, etc...I practiced at the end of the street with just staging and WOT. No launches in the neighborhood but to the point just prior.
The following users liked this post:
sbd4de3 (04-20-2020)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:16 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

omg vs the camaro at 2nd gear he is just GONE lol good bye.

So when you feather and work the clutch, and not dump the clutch the LC doesn't work?!?!?!?!

10.7 that's awesome for M7 and in general! congrats. It's also possible you can get even faster without LC, from what I have read it slows you down some.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:51 AM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts

I feathered the clutch once on launch control and it made a horrible stretching sound and I smelled my clutch for hours. Just an amateur move I guess but enough for me to never do it again. Remember Launch control only works in first gear so all other shifts are normal and feathering 2, 3, and 4th may be required depending on track prep and your tires.

People often tell me that my times could probably increase without launch control. When I return home from deployment, I plan on playing around with my launches w/o launch control but still like the fact I am consistent.
sbd4de3 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:21 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jabeasley1
I feathered the clutch once on launch control and it made a horrible stretching sound and I smelled my clutch for hours. Just an amateur move I guess but enough for me to never do it again. Remember Launch control only works in first gear so all other shifts are normal and feathering 2, 3, and 4th may be required depending on track prep and your tires.

People often tell me that my times could probably increase without launch control. When I return home from deployment, I plan on playing around with my launches w/o launch control but still like the fact I am consistent.
Thank you for serving!
clusterone (06-08-2022)
Old 04-20-2020, 12:31 AM
C6goon
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I try to launch around 3500-4k with a sidestep, after that just no lift shift it for the win. Usually in track mode. It works well so far. Play with it
Old 04-21-2020, 01:21 AM
Gary Davidson
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Launch Control for a Base Stingray M7?

Thank you all for the info thus far? But does the Base Stingray M7 have launch control?
Old 06-09-2022, 03:46 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Gary Davidson
...does the Base Stingray M7 have launch control?
Does your owners manual give the answer?

Old 06-09-2022, 11:48 AM
Jeremie Fischer
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Does your owners manual give the answer?

I sure hope he was able to find an answer, TWO YEARS would be a long time to still be looking.......
okaythen (06-09-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Launch control?

Quick Reply: Launch control?