C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 engine build, help me make a monster

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 PM
sbishop818
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LT1 engine build, help me make a monster

Here's the rub, the Fiancee becomes my wife in August. I have brought her to some recent car shows and she agrees we need to do some work.
We own a 2014 Stingray A6, non z51. I would like to build a forged motor and run the UPP twin turbo setup. Is the crankshaft already forged? I do know we would need forged connecting rods and pistons. The cylinder heads already flow very nicely, is an upgrade to KaTech heads worth the money? I do plan on buying new parts for the heads. Being that this will be street driven, pretty much if the sun is out the car will be out, what sort of cam should I run?
With the stock internals I was told anything near 700horsepower and you risk your engine. With the built engine I am hoping to run 700HP everyday and a separate tune for the track, somewhere around 900HP. I don't have a heavy foot, but like to open her up on the highway or backroads from time to time.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:44 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Turbo is high cost but a very nice set up. Front mount blower is very good to cost per rwhp. Plus you will need a good spec cam for a turbo motor. I really don't see putting $$ out on head work other than springs to go with what cam you go with.

If I was going to push 900 rwhp yes then go with a good set of rods, piston, and crank. K1 makes a good set for the money that will work great for you. Give sales@edgvette a MESSAGE VENDOR in here will get you the best price on all your parts..

He has never let me down on stuff... Robert
Old 04-26-2017, 02:40 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I did American Racing Headers 1+7/8.Added A&A supercharger.700 flywheel HP.subtract 17%
At the wheel and you can estimate 590-620 whp.If you want to do more add A cam and methanol.75-100 more HP.Then you can take on the challenger demon.

Last edited by thrilled; 04-26-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:55 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I would rethink the twin turbo kit for a daily driver....you are asking for nothing but problems with that setup.. The heat, the potential for melted everything etc..

If you are are only wanting 700 rwhp, you can easily do that with a mild blower combo and be a lot more reliable. You really don't even need to build the engine for that. The LT1 pistons are the weak link and they will break ring lands if you rattle them.(detonation).. So good tuning and lots of meth is the key to keep them alive. JE makes some LT1 drop in pistons that you can install without rebuilding/balancing the whole engine.
http://vengeanceracing.net/vengeance...1-pistons.html

I think with some drop in pistons and head studs, you'd be plenty reliable at 800 rwhp+.

However, if you do decide to build the motor, keep the stock crank, throw some forged H beam rods and pistons in it, some good head bolts/studs and call it good. Head porting is never a bad idea, but really not needed for 700 rwhp with boost. If you do decide to port the heads, I'd definitely look at all the options. I'm sure Katech does some killer work, but for $3300 for stock casting heads, you can have your heads ported for for less then half of that.

Sounds like you need to do a lot of research for your project, you are going to dive into something that WILL be way more then you anticipate....and possibly creating a car with driveability issues you won't be happy with.

For me, if I wanted a reliable 700 rwhp daily driver, I'd throw an ECS or A&A blower kit on it, a mild blower cam, headers/x, meth kit and a good conservative tune. Thats enough to get you in the 9s and still be reliable.

Last edited by ajrothm; 04-27-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:08 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

^^^ Well put my friend. agree 100% on all of it.. Robert

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-28-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sbishop818
Here's the rub, the Fiancee becomes my wife in August. I have brought her to some recent car shows and she agrees we need to do some work.
We own a 2014 Stingray A6, non z51. I would like to build a forged motor and run the UPP twin turbo setup. Is the crankshaft already forged? I do know we would need forged connecting rods and pistons. The cylinder heads already flow very nicely, is an upgrade to KaTech heads worth the money? I do plan on buying new parts for the heads. Being that this will be street driven, pretty much if the sun is out the car will be out, what sort of cam should I run?
With the stock internals I was told anything near 700horsepower and you risk your engine. With the built engine I am hoping to run 700HP everyday and a separate tune for the track, somewhere around 900HP. I don't have a heavy foot, but like to open her up on the highway or backroads from time to time.
Exciting!

First off, why turbo? Best bang for the buck with supercharging. Nothing against turbo but on these cars an SC offers many more options.

The stock crank is forged already. The rods are forged powder metal, and I don't know that I have read anyone that has bent rods yet. The pistons are hypereutectic aluminum and are the weak point. Either go with a prebuilt shortblock from a well respected vendor or consider upgrading your existing internals. If you do that latter, you'll want to look into forged pistons at a minimum. Thats what im in the middle of doing. I'll be keeping the stock block, crank, and rods, and using Vengeance Racing forged LT1 drop in pistons which retain 11-5:1 compression ratio. Im planning to be over 800rwhp with my build.

The C7 heads actually do NOT flow very good. LS3 heads flowed better than the LT1. Katech offers a good price for ported heads which flow 332CFM at .700 lift, however there are other vendors out there that port them a good portion more. The upside is the Katech heads are priced VERY inexpensively and don't require sending in cores. I chose to send my heads off to Texas Speed Performance so they can port my existing heads. They port them out to 364CFM at .700 lift which is quite a bit more flow than the stock 295CFM flow. They also do a 5 angle valve job as well.

For cam, i would not go bigger than stage 2. Stage 2 is aggressive but not aggressive enough for the car to die sitting at a light. I went with Vengeance Racing and did a full stage 2 cam kit from them.

Yes, 700-750 is where the stock bottom ends give out.

Most important advice of all, get a WELL KNOWN TUNER! the E92 ECM in these cars is WAAAAY different that anything Corvettes have ever had. Do NOT take the car to anyone who has not done a bunch of these at this point.

Good luck!

Ant
Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Niemienator
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

^^^ I think having Vengeance do the build would be the best way to get to the power level with daily drive reliable needs.

There is a car for sale on CF I recommend you check out that is exactly what you are talking about building.

GLWB

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-28-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Would also recommend Vengeance.

I did the cam kit which upgrades the springs, but skipped the ported heads. Have not seen a car built similar making more horsepower from heads. Comparing to older LS engines is also a little misleading since these cars have variable valve timing and don't have to flow fuel.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 engine build, help me make a monster

Quick Reply: LT1 engine build, help me make a monster