C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Hutch66
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Track day questions

Anyone have pics of where the tow hooks are placed? Any recommendations of any good aftermarket ones?

Also, in my M3 there was a specific mount for a fire extinguisher.
Is there one or make for the C7?

Thanks, guys.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hutch66
Anyone have pics of where the tow hooks are placed? Any recommendations of any good aftermarket ones?

Thanks, guys.
What year is your C7?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

For a fire extinguisher mount, there are many places to find one. I'd take a look at the forum vendors - I think Eckler's and LGMotorsports just for a couple have them.

As far as tow hooks, there are also many vendors that can provide one, however I got mine from ZL1 Addons and like them very much:

https://zl1addons.com/collections/tow-hooks

I looked in your profile to get some info about your model year, etc. - but there's nothing in there!?!?

Butt....looking at your avatar it appears that you have a Z06 or GS, so you should have both the front and rear receivers on your car.

Early C7's did not have the front receiver built in, but I think everything from 2015 has it.

Here's where the rear one goes - take a look on your car in the area of that red circle in the picture and you'll see a little rectangular piece that can be popped out so you can access the receiver for the rear tow hook:

And check in the grill on the upper right side for the threaded receiver where the front hook can be installed:

Old 05-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Hutch66
Advanced

I do apologize guys. I thought they were all the same.

It's a 17 Grand Sport.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

No sweat. Mine was an early 2014, so it came without tow hook receivers. Yours will have them. In the front, there is a panel that pops out of the grill to allow access (however, mine fits fine through the grill opening without removing the panel). In the rear, there's an easily spotted square pop-out panel for access. Photos:

Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

I got my tow hooks, and receivers, from jfaphoenix:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-services.html

Others are available from ZL1Addons here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-the-zo6.html
Old 05-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Thanks, guys.
Fire extinguisher mounts usually place the fire extinguisher in front of the passenger seat. The only problem with that is when you are fastened into the car you can't reach it. If you take the time to release the belts do you want to spend the time reaching over the console to get the fire extinguisher or do you want to get out of the car? I vote on getting out of the car and getting away from it. So it burns. On the road insurance will cover it and on the track you can buy insurance to cover it.

I have tried to figure out where to place a fire extinguisher in 3 different Corvettes and have not found a location that works when you need to move fast or won't be a hazard while driving.

I blew the engine in my C6Z while running 118 mph down the front straight at the Glen and by the time I got the car stopped smoke was rolling all around me. From the time in the video where you can see me realize smoke is every where until I am out of the car is 10 seconds. That includes releasing the harnesses and climbing out of the race seat with my HANS around my neck. If I had tried to reach the extinguisher I would have spent a lot more than 10 seconds getting out of the car. About a minute after I got out of the car the fire truck showed up.

As far as I am concerned the only extinguisher that will work is a fire system that is switch operated that you can just hit as you exit the car.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
daleong (05-10-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 PM
Hutch66
Advanced

Will our doors accept magnetic numbers?

Thank you again.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Will our doors accept magnetic numbers?

Thank you again.
NO. The body panels are plastic and magnets don't work. You can purchase vinyl reusable stick on numbers from places like Solo Performance: http://www.soloperformance.com/10-in...ge_p_1379.html

You do have to be careful when putting them on the car or taking them off. Make sure the surface is clean and make sure your fingers are clean when you put them on or take them off. They pick up dirt/dust very easily and once the adhesive has a finger print on it that spot doesn't stick as well if at all. If you keep them clean you can get several years use out of them.

One time I didn't make sure an edge was fully stuck to the car and it peeled back while on track which let the adhesive get covered with brake dust. I still use that number but use some painters tape to cover that edge to keep it from exposing more adhesive to dirt.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-20-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Hutch66
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
NO. The body panels are plastic and magnets don't work. You can purchase vinyl reusable stick on numbers from places like Solo Performance: http://www.soloperformance.com/10-in...ge_p_1379.html

You do have to be careful when putting them on the car or taking them off. Make sure the surface is clean and make sure your fingers are clean when you put them on or take them off. They pick up dirt/dust very easily and once the adhesive has a finger print on it that spot doesn't stick as well if at all. If you keep them clean you can get several years use out of them.

One time I didn't make sure an edge was fully stuck to the car and it peeled back while on track which let the adhesive get covered with brake dust. I still use that number but use some painters tape to cover that edge to keep it from exposing more adhesive to dirt.

Bill
Thanks, Bill.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Al@MatickChevy
Premium Supporting Dealership

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
I got my tow hooks, and receivers, from jfaphoenix:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-services.html

I really like Joe's hooks because they don't have the heim joint. The bolt together configuration should be stronger and it's what we use on our track cars.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:39 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

My 17 Grandsport with ZL1addons tow hooks.
Attached Images   

Last edited by rb185afm; 05-25-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 AM
Kenneth Dantley Jr.
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you all leave the tow hooks on, or just install at the track. It seems like they could be useful anytime to me (I hope I never need them). I ordered the ZL1Addons set, is there a lock nut or something? A couple drops of blue loctight, maybe?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM
March
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
For a fire extinguisher mount, there are many places to find one. I'd take a look at the forum vendors - I think Eckler's and LGMotorsports just for a couple have them.

As far as tow hooks, there are also many vendors that can provide one, however I got mine from ZL1 Addons and like them very much:

https://zl1addons.com/collections/tow-hooks

I looked in your profile to get some info about your model year, etc. - but there's nothing in there!?!?

Butt....looking at your avatar it appears that you have a Z06 or GS, so you should have both the front and rear receivers on your car.

Early C7's did not have the front receiver built in, but I think everything from 2015 has it.

Here's where the rear one goes - take a look on your car in the area of that red circle in the picture and you'll see a little rectangular piece that can be popped out so you can access the receiver for the rear tow hook:

And check in the grill on the upper right side for the threaded receiver where the front hook can be installed:

FYI the early build 2015 do not have the front mounting bolt for the tow hook - but there is the guide hole so you know where it goes. You can remove the bumper cover and drill the appropriate hole to fit the ZL1Add on model to go in the original location.

Get notified of new replies

To Track day questions

Quick Reply: Track day questions