C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with traction and stability control

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:41 PM
aalmqvist
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues with traction and stability control

Hi,

Had c7 z51 stick 2014 and had problem with traction and stability control. After purchased the car I recognized that when acceleration bit faster there was back axle, parking brake and some other warnings. It happened always when accelerated bit faster. Winter stab worked ok. But now in summer I lost control on highway driving 50 mph accelerating and wet road lost control and hit guard rail. There was no stability or traction control what so ever. I was in ECO mode which has toughes stab/trac control.

I brought to dealer whan warning lights come up, but dealer said it is normal no worry everything is ok. But it was not working at all!! and I totalled it...

Would be nice to hear if you have experience

Regards

Ari

Last edited by aalmqvist; 05-18-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The system can only do what the Laws of Physics permit it to do. If you get in over your head and the car's ability there is nothing that will save you. GM Traction Control is designed to let people spin their rear tires since Customers would be upset if they couldn't do that. However, if one rear wheel breaks loose before the other then it will shut down acceleration. The problem is you have a limited slip diff and that will try to ensure both rear wheels are rotating at the same speed. Once both rear wheels are spinning it is up to the driver's skills to keep the car in line through the use of the steering wheel and the throttle. If you aren't capable of doing that then don't put the car in that situation.

Bill
Old 05-19-2017, 05:20 PM
aalmqvist
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks for reply

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The system can only do what the Laws of Physics permit it to do. If you get in over your head and the car's ability there is nothing that will save you. GM Traction Control is designed to let people spin their rear tires since Customers would be upset if they couldn't do that. However, if one rear wheel breaks loose before the other then it will shut down acceleration. The problem is you have a limited slip diff and that will try to ensure both rear wheels are rotating at the same speed. Once both rear wheels are spinning it is up to the driver's skills to keep the car in line through the use of the steering wheel and the throttle. If you aren't capable of doing that then don't put the car in that situation.

Bill
what i am interested why the warnings was on and no action happened. I have been many times on track days with my mustang and I know how it works. But this failure indication it did not work!!!

that is what I try to understand that guys say it is normal to get this warning ... which I don't believe is true!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,250 Posts

No, it's not normal. The dealer is lying to you, or just uninformed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
1ccrider (07-24-2018), aalmqvist (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Which warning lights are you talking about? The little icons on the IP? If the Stabiltrak light was flashing that means the system was active and working. It helps if you give a clear description of what you saw.

If there are no current or history codes in the EBCM the mechanic doesn't have anything to work with. No codes means the system is working and if it ain't broke you don't fix it.

Did you see Service Stabilitrak or Service Traction System messages in the DIC? Those messages would indicate the system has a problem. I don't know how a Mustang system works but I suspect they chose different ways to display conditions to the driver.

From the Owner's Manual:

So the questions are What did You See and When did you See It?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-20-2017 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cam30era (05-23-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 01:41 PM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

You were on a wet road. I am no expert but I don't believe even if the traction control was working properly it can't completely prevent you from losing control.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Toombs
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TJC333
You were on a wet road. I am no expert but I don't believe even if the traction control was working properly it can't completely prevent you from losing control.
Correct. I know from experience hydroplaning can happen even with traction control (different car). Also, I would have advised Weather mode in the rain (not Eco).
Old 05-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

During a high power pull out, I have seen many people lose control accelerating out of second/third. Traction control can't keep you out of trouble durring this phase of operation. The driver has to sense directional instability and reduce power (regain traction) to keep the car tracking on line. If the rear end of the car drifts a few degrees either way all will be lost, only where and how hard is left.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:32 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Based on the OP's description it is very likely the system was malfunctioning and contributed to the crash. These systems can have issues.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Troll is a troll. We all know Mustangs traction control systems do not work. Just look at the latest cars and coffee videos when the Mustangs are leaving.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:08 PM
aalmqvist
Heel & Toe

Hi,

Just conclude here. I have had now two years 2017 C7 Z51, never had issues (as I had my 2017 C7) and in this vehicle now warnings and traction control work as it should work ..

I must say at least our dealer in Orchard Park (West Herr) does not take any issues seriously. Have had many other mistakes (Smaller ones) done by them...

Regards

Ari
The following users liked this post:
djnice (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 02:41 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Thanks for following up. Your original car may have had a wiring problem. Those are difficult for the dealer to diagnose. Glad you got a new car without those issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Issues with traction and stability control

Quick Reply: Issues with traction and stability control