C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable airbags

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:13 PM
Jan_N
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Disable airbags

I was wondering if anyone has tried to disable and enable the airbags going to track days. It seems to me that when you are in a 6 point harness with a HANS the airbags have little use. I'm I right?

If so why not disable these airbag system for track use as any deployment will just add big numbers to the cost of the repair.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Yes you are right about adding big numbers. Today's funerals average between five and ten thousand dollars. Save the funeral expense and leave the airbags alone. Yes the multi point harness might be sufficient but maybe not. Why take the chance?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan_N
I was wondering if anyone has tried to disable and enable the airbags going to track days. It seems to me that when you are in a 6 point harness with a HANS the airbags have little use. I'm I right?

If so why not disable these airbag system for track use as any deployment will just add big numbers to the cost of the repair.
If I hit something hard enough to trigger multiple airbags, the last thing I'm worried about is the cost of recharging (replacing) airbags. Seems like "false economy" to me, I'd leave 'em alone.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:25 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I think if you want to go that route you're talking about unplugging things. I do know in my Toyota Tacoma you can disable the side curtain airbags, there is a rollover control switch so when you're offroading you can turn those ones off, but not all the airbags. I'm not sure if I was doing some heavy duty wheeling in my Tacoma that I'd even turn them off, seems like having them on isn't necessarily a horrible thing....
Old 05-24-2017, 06:42 PM
G8One2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you hit something hard enough to get them to deploy, your vehicle is likely totaled. Though if you feel so inclined to disable them, you can unplug the connectors at the airbags and install 2 Ohm resistors in place of the vehicle side of the connector. It will keep the airbag light from coming on and throwing faults, at the expense of that airbag not deploying. Obviously DONT do this with the battery hooked up.

Last edited by G8One2; 05-24-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was at a DE and a friend hit a cone and set off the airbags. There was no damage to the outside of the car, but the airbag deployment costs thousand of dollars.

I have race seats in my GS, and I unplugged the wire under the seat. I'm pretty sure that defeated the airbags, and is very easily reversible. I disconnected the battery when I unplugged the jack, and the re-attached it later. It has disabled the outside mirror control, but the steering wheel adjustment still works.
The following users liked this post:
Jan_N (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Jan_N
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Thanks to all taken the time to answer

Originally Posted by Jan_N

Thank you all for you answers and help.
I should probably have asked the question differently. Are airbags of any use if you are in a six point harness given that you are solidly strapped to your seat with a helmet on during DE? Many people that take out the seats and put racing seats in and I understand that deactivates the airbags. Hence my question. If I was sure the airbags would be useful I would of course not reduce any safety features but airbags that will never reach you will not be of much help.

Get notified of new replies

To Disable airbags

Quick Reply: Disable airbags