C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go...

Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM
madmusicltd
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Here we go...

Car is three weeks old, and out of warranty, I did not purchase an extended warranty, car has a 30 day return policy. 2014 Stingray convertible W/Z51 package. I am enjoying the car (I got a great deal, car is mint). So I started it up this morning to drop it off to have the windshield replaced (from closing the top too hard?), and I go to start it up, and the radio is on, but the screen is not on?... I turn the fan switch and it starts to flicker, then it starts going haywire (see pic). I then put the screen up and down a couple times, and it got better, then eventually went away on the ride? Is this a common problem? seems to me it is related to the switch turning the screen off and on when going up and down? Is there need for alarm? Should I bring it back to the dealer? (although I did buy it from a Ford dealer) so not their cup of tea...? I still have time to consider an extended warranty too, but would that even cover the radio LCD? Any advice would help, what is the repair cost w/o warranty coverage? Is this going to be an ongoing PIA?

Last edited by madmusicltd; 06-01-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,899 Posts

I'd chalk it up as the occasional rare glitch unless it happens again. Similar has happened to mine (2014 w/33k miles) a few times, but not often at all.

Last edited by Kracka; 06-01-2017 at 11:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
madmusicltd (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

It sounds crazy, but honk the horn when it starts flickering and screen rolling and it will stop.

Mine is a 14 and I had the screen replaced right before my warranty was up. It's an easy swap as it comes as a whole unit when it is replaced so you could get a cost on replacing the screen vs. what a full blown warranty may run you to weigh out your options. Check with Cultrag or Trunk Monkey or one of the sponsors for a replacement.
madmusicltd (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:11 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Originally Posted by Elite275
It sounds crazy, but honk the horn when it starts flickering and screen rolling and it will stop.

Mine is a 14 and I had the screen replaced right before my warranty was up. It's an easy swap as it comes as a whole unit when it is replaced so you could get a cost on replacing the screen vs. what a full blown warranty may run you to weigh out your options. Check with Cultrag or Trunk Monkey or one of the sponsors for a replacement.
Hi thanks for the info, How often did you have flicker issues? Does this mean it will be a constant problem? what made you figure out honking the horn fixes it?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:41 PM
ilivas
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, it's a common issue. I had mine replaced and never happened again.
madmusicltd (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 01:41 PM
ilivas
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Or maybe your car doesn't like Bowie.
The following 2 users liked this post by ilivas:
madmusicltd (06-01-2017), timmyZ06 (07-05-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:06 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

when I start my car I'm gonna get people knocking on my window "Hey! you beepin at me?"

Since I am out of warranty, I may consider replacing it myself if no re-programming or special tools are required, I was reading that it could be bad connections, or even tight cable ties? If this only happens when Bowie comes on then I could live with it, maybe it was the goon sqaud~

anyone know the part number of the touchscreen?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-01-2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Mine was intermittent. Sometimes when I drove the car it would happen a few times and other times it never happened at all. Since I knew it was an issue with others I had it replaced under warranty since I figured it may get worse.

I actually read about the honking the horn thing on the forum. I was like yeah right, and then tried it myself and for some reason it works. There was a write up on here somewhere about someone doing what you were thinking and looking at the connections for the screen where they were able to fix it themselves. It would be worth a shot and the whole box comes out as one unit so it's easy to take out.
madmusicltd (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

DISPLAY - GM (23410954) $499.99 (from GM parts direct) not bad...

This is what I found, anyone one know if they differ per VIN?

I found a youtube video showing the disassembly of the dash, it does not look like fun.
I am not sure if my problems are the screen or the connections? Either way, dash dis-assembly required, nothing noted in the carfax
Old 06-01-2017, 11:17 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 221 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

After about two years, my c7 screen did just as yours did, I managed to figure out that the wires going into the screen would occasionally work loose, just enough to cause random electrical gremlins on the screen. Before throwing a lot of money at it, you could try prying off the trim from the driver's side of the console and the little triangular plastic trim near the base of the screen, and reach in and push the wires up to see if that fixes your problem. It fixed mine. Evidently they can work themselves loose after a while.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:20 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael A Riley

After about two years, my c7 screen did just as yours did, I managed to figure out that the wires going into the screen would occasionally work loose, just enough to cause random electrical gremlins on the screen. Before throwing a lot of money at it, you could try prying off the trim from the driver's side of the console and the little triangular plastic trim near the base of the screen, and reach in and push the wires up to see if that fixes your problem. It fixed mine. Evidently they can work themselves loose after a while.
And I did NOT have to take the dash out to get to the wire. Really never even saw the wires, just reached in from the side, felt the wires, pushed them around and the screen started working just fine again...then pushed the console side trims back on (they literally just press onto the side of the console).
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael A Riley:
Fatcatrc (11-15-2018), madmusicltd (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 10:10 AM
madmusicltd
Racer

And I did NOT have to take the dash out to get to the wire. Really never even saw the wires, just reached in from the side, felt the wires, pushed them around and the screen started working just fine again...then pushed the console side trims back on (they literally just press onto the side of the console).
Thanks so much, I figure it may just be connections, and it seemed related to the screen going up and down, hopefully it resolved itself for now, not sure that an intermittent connection would react this way?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madmusicltd
Thanks so much, I figure it may just be connections, and it seemed related to the screen going up and down, hopefully it resolved itself for now, not sure that an intermittent connection would react this way?

Idk. It took me a little bit to figure it out. Even had the dealer work on it several times, tried the pdr update, changed the whole screen, etc, and it still had an intermittent black or flickering screen. Finally figured it out myself that it was just those wires coming loose from the screen going up and down.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:46 AM
madmusicltd
Racer

Idk. It took me a little bit to figure it out. Even had the dealer work on it several times, tried the pdr update, changed the whole screen, etc, and it still had an intermittent black or flickering screen. Finally figured it out myself that it was just those wires coming loose from the screen going up and down.
If I do have to access the wires to fiddle with them, i am wondering if there is a way to ensure that they won't come loose again? tape or RTV?

thanks again Michael
Old 06-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madmusicltd
If I do have to access the wires to fiddle with them, i am wondering if there is a way to ensure that they won't come loose again? tape or RTV?

thanks again Michael
Hmm, good idea. I haven't done anything to mine other than pushing the wires around and up in there. But then again, I don't use the space behind the screen much anymore either.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:33 AM
madmusicltd
Racer

Flickering again, can i get to these by just disassembling the lower and lower side panels?

Last edited by madmusicltd; 08-11-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:29 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

So its been about three weeks now, and no flickering...

As mentioned above, I popped of the lower side panels, and I clipped the tie wrap straining the wires, (mine were brown) I also felt around and re-seated the connections.

Thanks for the advice!

Get notified of new replies

To Here we go...

Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 09-16-2017, 05:54 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

The forum is such a great tool.

coupe4life (04-18-2020)
Old 04-25-2018, 12:05 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

GM got back to me and I they were able to arrange a 3rd party call with my local Chevy dealer. Part was available, and new screen was installed on good will, total cost to me was $200. I did have to convince them to do so, as my issue was intermittent, and having the correct bulletin number (PIC5934c), politely mentioning that it is known failure, and that manually wiggling the wires fixes and causes this failure mode all helped, as the car was 6 months out of warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Here we go...