C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Installing a Fuel Pump Lash Cap in an LT1 and Checking for Proper Clearances

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:39 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by StarFox
I just wanted to say thanks for this great writeup. I installed an LT4 fuel pump on my stock cam and stock valley cover LT1. I measured for preload and max lift clearance using this guide and found it very helpful. FYI the pump was perfectly fine and did not require a lash cap.

Oh, and since I didn't have the tool for checking lobe location, I used a large socket with an outer diameter just smaller than the hole size, then I put a short extension into the socket from the wrong end (insert the extension from the size that typically goes onto the bolt/nut). I then used this as my height tool. i put the extension side down because it was small enough to sit on the lifter plunger, and then the socket was low enough to touch the opening walls and stay in place. I wrote on it with a marker for measurements. I had to use the extension because when I tried just dropping the socket in there alone, the plunger went through the 1/2" opening for the wrench and wouldn't ride the lifter.
Anytime!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:17 PM
ricmalaz
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Has anyone here done the lash cap on a stock cam with stock LT1 HPFP and had a before and after test done to confirm the 25% fuel delivery increase? I've been told it's more like only 10%.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by ricmalaz
Has anyone here done the lash cap on a stock cam with stock LT1 HPFP and had a before and after test done to confirm the 25% fuel delivery increase? I've been told it's more like only 10%.
Great question
Old 03-09-2019, 11:25 AM
douglee25
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Can anyone answer this question above?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:40 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ricmalaz
Originally Posted by 123sugey

Great question
Originally Posted by douglee25
Can anyone answer this question above?

Thanks!
I don’t know that it is actually 25%. Thats and estimate Really. Let me put it this way, when I load a tune for a car with the same exact fuel mods, less a lash cap, into a car that is identical but DOES have a lash cap, in some cases the car won’t even start because the tune is commanding a certain amount of fuel based on what fuel its getting mechanically. When you introduce the lash cap and all things including the tune are the same, its getting way too much fuel. Higgs and I worked on this when I did the first rebuild and the car wouldn’t barely run because the tune we loaded was designed for a “no lashcap” situation. At the time we had to pull out 10% fuel out of the tune across the board at least twice if I remember correctly just to get it to idle.

So, please infer from my educated observation and please assess your own approximation of fuel difference.

Ant
Old 03-17-2019, 01:50 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Does the factory setup actually have lash or zero preload on the pump?

I'm confused otherwise, you aren't changing stroke or stroke frequency, so how does fuel rate change?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 AM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

The fuel rate changes because we are stroking the pump an additional .055. We need the lash cap because the lobe has a smaller base circle, so we are changing the stroke...

Last edited by JHEBERT; 03-17-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by atljar
Does the factory setup actually have lash or zero preload on the pump?

I'm confused otherwise, you aren't changing stroke or stroke frequency, so how does fuel rate change?
I’m planning to take an LT1 pump apart to show the guts at some point. I “believe” that it is not that the stroke itself changes, but that shaft thw stroke goes in has a relief that is better optimized by changing rhe stroke depth slightly resulting in the increase.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
The fuel rate changes because we are stroking the pump an additional .055. We need the lash cap because the lobe has a smaller base circle, so we are changing the stroke...
On an aftermarket cam with smaller base circle the lash cap makes sense. I just dont understand increased flow by adding the cap on a stock cam. You add .055 of upward stroke, but you loose .055 of downward stroke. Thats like saying you get more lift on a cam by adding lifter preload. The lift doesnt change.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I’m planning to take an LT1 pump apart to show the guts at some point. I “believe” that it is not that the stroke itself changes, but that shaft thw stroke goes in has a relief that is better optimized by changing rhe stroke depth slightly resulting in the increase.
That at least is a theory that could make sense to me! I look forward to your dissection if it ever occurs
Old 03-18-2019, 07:24 PM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
On an aftermarket cam with smaller base circle the lash cap makes sense. I just dont understand increased flow by adding the cap on a stock cam. You add .055 of upward stroke, but you loose .055 of downward stroke. Thats like saying you get more lift on a cam by adding lifter preload. The lift doesnt change.
^I was just saying this the other day!

Like someone already said maybe that.055 is just eating up some factory preload
Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

I already started disassembling my LT1 pump and taking pics. I’m at a point where I can’t figure out how to open the side where the spring and shaft go in so I’m working on that. Once I get that open I can post pictures with a detailed explanation of how these things actually work mechanicaly. Gimme a few days..
Old 03-18-2019, 09:12 PM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

Thanks Fyreant! On my Z06 I have the fic injectors and the LPE big bore pump which I believe begins it's life from a stock LT1 pump. Without a cam to over drive it, I'm still out of fuel. I'd love to add a lash cap and avoid a cam, but i don't want to derail this thread with my individual setup. I'm genuinely curious what the inside of one of these pumps look like

Adding that small lash cap to my last Stingray with a cam and LT4 pump was a big help. It was definitely bottoming out on the down stroke without the cap

Last edited by 555ctsv; 03-18-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:13 PM
James Raffield
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you get a lash cap off to try a different size? I got it on now cant get it off.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:05 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by James Raffield
how do you get a lash cap off to try a different size? I got it on now cant get it off.
I would personally remove the whole pump lifter out and then you can work on it a little easier. It sounds like it was too tight to begin with. I would carefully try to wiggle it off continuously even if it takes a while to get it off. I would not try prying or anything like that.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:54 PM
jonblarc7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently installed a TSP 218/226 .635/.635 with a 32% fuel lob with a lash cap into my L86 6.2 myself. This was my first cam install I've ever and it went pretty smooth. I had alot of help over on the Performancetrucks.net forum. I had a pretty big thread about it where I listed out the video's I watched to show me what to do.

Fast forward to at least 2500 miles later. I started getting a tapping sound coming from the back center of the engine. At first it was ever now and then and very faint but just the other day it got much louder. I parked the the truck and ordered a new fuel guide because when I installed the cam. My stock cam had a scoring mark on the fuel lob. Rockauto.com sent me two fuel guides that where all rusted and I sent them back. So by the 3rd fuel guide it wasn't perfect but was much better than the others and I need to have my truck up and running so I cleaned it up and went with it.

I haven't pulled the intake off yet. I'm waiting until I get my new fuel guide and I also order a new lash cap from TSP.

That was before I came across this thread. Is it safe to say with my stock L86 pump with should be the same as the LT1 pump and my 32% over fuel lob. I would need the .060 lash cap instead of the .080 TSP sells. I only say this because that's what your car measured with a 32% over fuel lob and a stock LT1 pump. It shouldn't be any different for another engine?
Old 08-07-2019, 04:55 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jonblarc7
That was before I came across this thread. Is it safe to say with my stock L86 pump with should be the same as the LT1 pump and my 32% over fuel lob. I would need the .060 lash cap instead of the .080 TSP sells. I only say this because that's what your car measured with a 32% over fuel lob and a stock LT1 pump. It shouldn't be any different for another engine?
Ummm no, I had a 32% lobe and an LT4 Pump. At no point did I use an LT1 pump when installing and measuring for the lash cap so no, it would NOT be safe to say that you need the same. It needs to be measured for each build.

Get notified of new replies

To HOW TO: Installing a Fuel Pump Lash Cap in an LT1 and Checking for Proper Clearances

Old 08-07-2019, 04:57 PM
jonblarc7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks will do
Old 08-08-2019, 07:26 PM
James Raffield
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Lobe Lifter

What do you call the lifter that sits between the cam and the fuel pump? You know, the lifter that the lash cap goes on. And to sweeten the pot, got a part number?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by James Raffield
What do you call the lifter that sits between the cam and the fuel pump? You know, the lifter that the lash cap goes on. And to sweeten the pot, got a part number?
Its the fuel pump lifter! lol

Part number is: 12642273 but it may have changed to a new number at this point. Call your dealer to check pricing and availability. Hope it helps!

Ant

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Installing a Fuel Pump Lash Cap in an LT1 and Checking for Proper Clearances