C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 C7 door buttons not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Bad Wolf
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 C7 door buttons not working

Went to get in my car last night and couldn't get in. Neither the driver nor passenger door touch pad worked. Using the key fob I could hear it lock and unlock (atleast hear the fuel door locking/unlocking), could open the trunk, and start the car. After popping the driver door open with the trunk door latch I noticed that neither the driver or passenger interior buttons worked. Also, when trying to start the car it would not recognize the fob unless it was in the steering column.

I put a new CR2032 battery in the fob and got the same results. I put the car battery on charge over night and it is showing full charge. As far as I can tell every other electronic system is working fine.

I can't find a specific fuse for the door buttons and that is where I think my problem may be. I pulled all of the fuses in the trunk and a handful in the engine compartment that I thought might be connected but didn't see any that were blown. I've spent the better part of a day searching the internet for C7 door fuses and can't find anything.

Looking forward to everyone's suggestions!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:20 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Likely a trip to the dealer, unfortunately.

About the only suggestion I can make off the top of my head would be to check to make sure neither of the interior door release buttons (or exterior, if its even possible) are "stuck" in the depressed state. That might interfere with any other button being pressed. Long shot.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Bad Wolf
Cruising

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Likely a trip to the dealer, unfortunately.

About the only suggestion I can make off the top of my head would be to check to make sure neither of the interior door release buttons (or exterior, if its even possible) are "stuck" in the depressed state. That might interfere with any other button being pressed. Long shot.
Thanks for the idea but was a no go. Pressed both of the exterior door buttons and pressed both of the interior buttons multiple times. They all seemed to be free but got no response from the car.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Wolf
Thanks for the idea but was a no go. Pressed both of the exterior door buttons and pressed both of the interior buttons multiple times. They all seemed to be free but got no response from the car.
Before taking to dealer, try disconnecting battery for about 10 minutes...then reconnect and try. I think this reboots entire electronics and might reset computer controlling doors.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Bad Wolf
Cruising

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
Before taking to dealer, try disconnecting battery for about 10 minutes...then reconnect and try. I think this reboots entire electronics and might reset computer controlling doors.
Thanks but that didn't work either. Also, unhooked it for an hour and that didn't fix it either.

Here is another odd thing. All of the fob buttons work as they should except, when I go to start the car. It says remote not found and will only start with the fob in the steering column. Is there a fuse for something that controls starting the car and sensing the fob that I need to be checking? If so, what system is that? I have adjusted the steering column in all sorts of directions to see if their is an obvious loose connection but that didn't seem to help.

This is so weird that the C7 doesn't have an obvious fuse to the door switches when the C6 does.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I'm gonna guess too! BCM is not communicating. Take it to the dealer.

Elmer
Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Bad Wolf
Cruising

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I'm gonna guess too! BCM is not communicating. Take it to the dealer.

Elmer
I have no problem changing out a BCM. Just need to know which one to check and where it is located. Can't find any information on the C7.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:26 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bad Wolf
I have no problem changing out a BCM. Just need to know which one to check and where it is located. Can't find any information on the C7.
Just checked the manual at lunch. The BCM is under the passenger side foot panel. could not find any mention of a fuse for doors/FOB specific..all controlled by BCM.

Last edited by agapsdiver; 07-10-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Bad Wolf
Cruising

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
Just checked the manual at lunch. The BCM is under the passenger side foot panel. could not find any mention of a fuse for doors/FOB specific..all controlled by BCM.
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to find this.

Did your manual by any chance give a part number? 3 year warranty ran out last October and I really don't want to take to the dealership for replacing when this is a relative simple item task to be done.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:06 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

I can't account for the door switches not working, but I had the same symptoms after a speed shop installed a roll bar in my c7.

The fob sensor is OEM-double taped to the transom or whatever it's called (the vertical wall behind the seats). It's supposed to be right under the carpet, high, between the seats about an inch or at most, two inches below the lip of the transom.

When the shop installed the roll bar, they moved the sensor and laid it flat on the the floor of the trunk right behind the vertical lip of the transom. It probably wasn't moved 7", but it was enough to require me to key open the trunk, etc., each time to access the car.

Fortunately, I knew where the key fob sensor was supposed to be attached OEM, because I'd stripped out the carpet in order to install soundproof padding. I just replaced the double tape and installed the fob sensor in its' intended OEM position. It's easy to find--the carpet underlayment "insulation" has a pocket where the sensor is supposed to be attached.

I hope that helps. Whatever your problem is, I doubt it's the BCM; it's probably the fob sensor--unfortunately, from what I could see, it's hard-wired in--there's no visible coupling that will allow you to remove it without cutting wires.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

like he said, there are sensors and other electronic hardware involved, not only the BCM.
It does not give a number for the BCM... just go to your local parts dept. and ask them to show you where the BCM is in the parts diagram and ask them for the number.

Find out any return policy for the BCM If that doesn't fix it...most electrical parts have unfavorable return policies.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Bad Wolf
Cruising

Originally Posted by dork
I can't account for the door switches not working, but I had the same symptoms after a speed shop installed a roll bar in my c7.

The fob sensor is OEM-double taped to the transom or whatever it's called (the vertical wall behind the seats). It's supposed to be right under the carpet, high, between the seats about an inch or at most, two inches below the lip of the transom.

When the shop installed the roll bar, they moved the sensor and laid it flat on the the floor of the trunk right behind the vertical lip of the transom. It probably wasn't moved 7", but it was enough to require me to key open the trunk, etc., each time to access the car.

Fortunately, I knew where the key fob sensor was supposed to be attached OEM, because I'd stripped out the carpet in order to install soundproof padding. I just replaced the double tape and installed the fob sensor in its' intended OEM position. It's easy to find--the carpet underlayment "insulation" has a pocket where the sensor is supposed to be attached.

I hope that helps. Whatever your problem is, I doubt it's the BCM; it's probably the fob sensor--unfortunately, from what I could see, it's hard-wired in--there's no visible coupling that will allow you to remove it without cutting wires.
I had no trouble finding the antenna assembly you were referring to. It was exactly where it was supposed to be. It does have a harness clip. I unconnected and reconnected but that didn't fix it. Would love to know where the other end of the antenna assembly wire connects?!?! That would be the next logical item to check.

Here's is an even stranger symptom. When I close the doors with the fob in the car it does sense that the fob is in the car - i get the 3 horn beeps warning me that it is in the car.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I believe that the BCM must be programmed to match the VIN so it knows what features are present. You need a GM programmer to do this. I think there are some suppliers that will do this for you. Best check with them before trying to swap the BCM.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:07 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 320 Posts

Your going to the dealer. Trust me I know. I had the same issue with mine. Covered under warranty.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Bad Wolf
Cruising

Originally Posted by teddyca
Your going to the dealer. Trust me I know. I had the same issue with mine. Covered under warranty.
If I was still under warranty it would be covered.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Bad Wolf
Cruising

Originally Posted by teddyca
What did they say was the problem? If I end up at the dealership, I'd like to make sure they are on the same page before I leave.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 320 Posts

I believe it was the door switch but my pass side opened fine so you are likely looking at a BCM issue.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 C7 door buttons not working

Old 07-12-2017, 04:05 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you are getting fob not found error, I would try another new battery in the fob. I replaced mine with a "new" in the package battery, and the fob still would not work. I bought a store fresh battery, and problem went away. Even a battery that still tests good may not be strong enough.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Bad Wolf
Cruising

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
If you are getting fob not found error, I would try another new battery in the fob. I replaced mine with a "new" in the package battery, and the fob still would not work. I bought a store fresh battery, and problem went away. Even a battery that still tests good may not be strong enough.
Tried a second new battery and still no go. Really don't think it has anything to do with the fob since all of the other buttons on the fob work.
Also, doesn't matter which fob I use, I get the same results.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

BCM and you need a special GM tool to code it in to the car's VIN.

Elmer

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 door buttons not working