C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 Low oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:57 PM
renatogfofo
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Low oil Pressure

MY 1994 LT1 has low oil pressure, no knocking. I replaced the sending unit and it got worse. Help. The hotter it is the lowest it running at 5-6 PSI hot
Old 07-23-2017, 04:25 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by renatogfofo
MY 1994 LT1 has low oil pressure, no knocking. I replaced the sending unit and it got worse. Help. The hotter it is the lowest it running at 5-6 PSI hot
You might ask a mod to move this to the appropriate forum since you are in the C7 forum which has a far different LT1 engine than the one in your 1994. For me the first step is to always verify pressure using a manual gauge attached to your engine to decide whether you are facing a measurement or an actual engine issue. If the oil pressure is truly low there are numerous possibilities including excessive main bearing clearance, worn oil pump or pump drive, incorrect or failed oil filter, gasoline dilution of oil, etc.

Good luck and I hope the repair isn't extensive or expensive.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I just chased one on conventional small block and it was the new EFI distributor partially unblocked an oil galley at the rear. They converted to EFI and lost oil pressure, so that was a weird one... but you haven't given us any other details.

Unless you know what happened, I'd drop the pan and throw another oil pump on it. If that doesn't solve it, check the mains. If that doesn't reveal it, the engine will have to come out I think.

Good luck! Don't get that Optispark wet!

Last edited by davepl; 07-24-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Low oil Pressure

Quick Reply: LT1 Low oil Pressure