C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet sump vs. dry sump

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:52 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Wet sump vs. dry sump

Does anyone know if the drysump Z51 motor is really lower in the chassis than the wet sump C7 base car?

Has anyone heard of base C7 blowing motors on track like the old C6 with LS3 motors?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:55 AM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

That is an interesting question. I think the centerline of the crankshaft would have to be kept the same to line up with the rest of the drive train. I was recently looking up the oil fill amount and did notice the wet sump cars took almost 3 quarts less oil so that would lead me to believe the engines are mounted in the same location but the dry sump gets extra oil capacity in the external reservoir.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:00 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A guy in a car show told me the motor mounts are different (taller),but I have never taken the time to look it up..... so no idea.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

This was alluded to by Tadge in early marketing for the Z51 package. I don't have the source, but it rings a bell. The point was that the dry-sump allows for lower mounting, thus lower CG, and better balance/handling as a result. It was never mentioned just HOW much lower it was, but the limitation would be the height/depth of the wet-sump pan itself, which is already shallower than your every-day sedan's.

Still can't find a source though, theres probably a reason for that...

Last edited by mdiiulio; 09-25-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:29 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Couldn't someone just look up the part numbers for the motor mounts?

I'm guessing the dry sump is all around worse if you don't track. More weight (tank, more fluid), the fluid sits up higher (bottom of pan) and it costs way more to get an oil change done.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:33 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Couldn't someone just look up the part numbers for the motor mounts?

I'm guessing the dry sump is all around worse if you don't track. More weight (tank, more fluid), the fluid sits up higher (bottom of pan) and it costs way more to get an oil change done.
All models use the same motor mount and mount bracket.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:54 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

That's what I figured. There is a lot more to making an engine sit 3" lowers. Trans is lower, torque tube, driveshaft (torque tube) angles, shifter linkage, etc.

I'd also imagine that the trans was the limiting item, and they got that as low as possible, then mounted the engine to it.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:02 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Same question came up with the C6. Same answer is 'no, the two motors are both mounted at the same height.'

The misconception comes from a truthful generic statement: "dry sump allows the motor to be mounted lower"

"Allows"--yes. But the C6/C7 doesn't take advantage of that ability, because it shares all chassis parts between the dry sump and the wet sump Corvettes, and many of those parts would need to be changed if the engine height was different between the two. Remember that the engine is rigidly mounted to the trans and axle via the torque tube -- change the engine height and ALL those other parts change attitude, changing clearances, changing angles...$$$

Last edited by Kent1999; 09-27-2017 at 12:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NSC5 (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Though i assume everyone is right and gm doesn't lower the engine on the drysump cars. It is pretty normal to get shorter mounts for a c5 engine and leaving everything else in place. So it is possible to lower the motor without lowering the trans/diff. There is no reason they couldn't do it. The shifter still works fine as one of my buddies has the short hinston 3/8" lower mounts.

Get notified of new replies

To Wet sump vs. dry sump

Quick Reply: Wet sump vs. dry sump