C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:41 AM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Secondary radiator

Hello,
Saw a old Z06 thread on installing a secondary radiator on the C7 manuals. I have a 2016 Z51 M7 with the Magnuson Heartbeat and was thinking of installing this radiator next year when I go next pulley down + LT headers. Figure it would help keep the temps down.

Was wondering if the Magnuson's intercooler was going to be in the way.

Anyone install this second radiator with the Heartbeat's intercooler also installed? Any major install issues?

TIA,
Pj
Old 10-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by pj-c7
Hello,
Saw a old Z06 thread on installing a secondary radiator on the C7 manuals. I have a 2016 Z51 M7 with the Magnuson Heartbeat and was thinking of installing this radiator next year when I go next pulley down + LT headers. Figure it would help keep the temps down.

Anyone install this second radiator with the Heartbeat's intercooler also installed? Any major install issues?

TIA,
Pj
Haven't done it on a Maggie but we've developed an entire cooling system for the C7Z06 and Callaway SC757. Install isn't bad, I'd recommend going to a heavier duty radiator such as our SuperCool Radiator as well.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Hello,

TIA,
Pj
Take a look through the grille on any A8 Z06 or any 2017 or newer M7 and you can see where the Secondary Radiator is mounted. It is lying horizontally under the bottom of the air inlet duct right behind the grille, you can see it through a hole cut in the duct bottom. I don't know where the Maggie intercooler is mounted in relationship to the stock intercooler but if it just replaces the stock unit you should be OK.

Bil
Old 10-30-2017, 08:47 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Take a look through the grille on any A8 Z06 or any 2017 or newer M7 and you can see where the Secondary Radiator is mounted. It is lying horizontally under the bottom of the air inlet duct right behind the grille, you can see it through a hole cut in the duct bottom. I don't know where the Maggie intercooler is mounted in relationship to the stock intercooler but if it just replaces the stock unit you should be OK.

Bil
He does have a Z51.

My gut feeling tells me that it might not fit, assuming the kit would not follow exactly where Z06 spec Corvettes put things. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2017, 10:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by X25
He does have a Z51.

My gut feeling tells me that it might not fit, assuming the kit would not follow exactly where Z06 spec Corvettes put things. Good luck!
The Secondary Radiator kit was also offered for the Z51 and since the front body work is the same between the Stingray and the wide body cars I don't think it would be a problem depending on where the aftermarket intercooler is mounted. If the kit mounts in the same place as the Z06 cooler and it's the same relative size the two shouldn't interfere with each other. There is a good possibility the kit manufacturer would mount the intercooler very similar to where GM mounted the Z06 cooler since that way it could benefit from the stock fans when driving slowly or sitting still in traffic.

Bill
Old 10-30-2017, 10:48 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

That's the catch, it should follow Z06's OEM locations. Moreover, some of the radiator/intercooler designs create much more turbulence than OEM designs to be more efficient at cooling, but they disrupt the flow past them. I kept my radiator OEM for this reason. In a system highly modified with aftermarket cooler cores, I'd be worried.

FYI, I also have a Z51, and installed the aux cooler, but I kept my stock radiator, etc.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by X25
That's the catch, it should follow Z06's OEM locations. Moreover, some of the radiator/intercooler designs create much more turbulence than OEM designs to be more efficient at cooling, but they disrupt the flow past them. I kept my radiator OEM for this reason. In a system highly modified with aftermarket cooler cores, I'd be worried.

FYI, I also have a Z51, and installed the aux cooler, but I kept my stock radiator, etc.
No arguing about increased turbulence that might affect cooling but that affects coolers behind the unit increasing the turbulence with the secondary radiator lying flat below the duct it wouldn't be affected by anybody's intercooler mounted behind it as long as the intercooler didn't block air flow causing a standing wave in front of the intercooler.

Bill
Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 AM
pj-c7
Instructor

Thanks all for the feedback. Had some power and internet outages last night so couldn't respond. The Magnuson intercooler mounts in front of the stock one. I Just recalled that I have a picture of it in my album:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/g/picture/7387618

Guess I'll try to find the physical dimensions of this second radiator and then measure against the space there is after the intercooler.

I will post the results...

Thanks,
Pj
Old 11-01-2017, 11:34 AM
pj-c7
Instructor

Googled a bit more and landed on more CF threads with more detailed pictures. Guess this thing was a real hot item last year. Anyway, looks like it should fit ok. Here's a pic of where the Magnuson's intercooler is located. It's above the white rectangle...

As you can see, the GM's second radiator sits further in the front.

Will probably order it and install it during this winter. Will post then...

Thanks,
Pj
Old 11-01-2017, 03:25 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bil
FYI 2017+ M7 convertibles do not get the extra radiator ...
Old 11-03-2017, 01:43 PM
daleong
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Why? I'm guessing GM thinks anyone with a convertible isn't tracking it? (Probably very likely though, with most HPDE orgs requiring roll protection for convertibles...)
Old 11-03-2017, 01:49 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Was curious about that...Thanks.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Installed it today. Plenty of room, no issues. I took some pictures but most didn't come out good because I didn't have a lift so it was tight...

Old 12-04-2017, 10:44 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
FYI 2017+ M7 convertibles do not get the extra radiator ...
FWIW, my 2017 M7 Grand Sport has one.
The following users liked this post:
pj-c7 (12-04-2017)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Hello,

TIA,
Pj
I was wondering what is involved in replacing the intercooler in a 2016 Corvette Z06. I just noticed a leak in my innercooler from possibly a rock.

Get notified of new replies

To Secondary radiator

Quick Reply: Secondary radiator