C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do ported TB's affect normal driving ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:29 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Do ported TB's affect normal driving ?

I didn't want to hijack the CAI thread with a tangental question - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...results-2.html

So, my question is based on a you tuber -
- (my simplification of his talk) indicating that ported TB's basically are meant for WOT driving and that there *could* be issues with driveability outside of WOT, like daily driving.

I know the other threads and the 'responsiveness is improved' comments but I'm wondering if anyone has had any driveability issues after putting in a ported TB.

And yes, regarding the video, I know about 'always consider the source' caution.

Last edited by tcinla; 11-07-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

I’ve had a WeaponX ported TB for about 3000 miles and did not affect the daily driving one bit. Crisper throttle response and no down side at all.
The following users liked this post:
sales @ WXM (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 04:30 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
I’ve had a WeaponX ported TB for about 3000 miles and did not affect the daily driving one bit. Crisper throttle response and no down side at all.
sales @ WXM (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

Guy in the vid has nothing to offer the Corvette world.
He is obviously misinformed.
Daily driving both a 17 Stingray and now a 17 Z06 with one of Tony Mamo's ported T/B's there is a nice improvement from idle to redline.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

What he's saying is true IF the porter doesn't know what they're doing and just hots out the TB straight through. This can cause driveability issues on the OEM calibration; however, if you look at the big boy billet TBs, they're fairly straight through and just requires tuning.

The 103mm TB and our WEAPON-X ported LT4 supercharger on my 17 A10 ZL1 was good for 30whp on the STOCK pulley combo! That with the LPE pump and FIC injectors put down 650whp on stock boost and exhaust. OEM driveability was flawless too. So, a lot of this is in the tune, but our ported LT1/LT4 TBs have a money back guarantee and we have endless great reviews with their performance.

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...le-body-ported
The following 2 users liked this post by Ben@WeaponX:
ssscooter66 (11-07-2017), tcinla (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
What he's saying is true IF the porter doesn't know what they're doing and just hots out the TB straight through. This can cause driveability issues on the OEM calibration; however, if you look at the big boy billet TBs, they're fairly straight through and just requires tuning.

The 103mm TB and our WEAPON-X ported LT4 supercharger on my 17 A10 ZL1 was good for 30whp on the STOCK pulley combo! That with the LPE pump and FIC injectors put down 650whp on stock boost and exhaust. OEM driveability was flawless too. So, a lot of this is in the tune, but our ported LT1/LT4 TBs have a money back guarantee and we have endless great reviews with their performance.

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...le-body-ported
I stand behind my WeaponX ported TB and intake manifold on my 830HP stingray. Car drives like stock until you drop the hammer..
The following 2 users liked this post by FYREANT:
Ben@WeaponX (11-08-2017), sales @ WXM (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:33 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Anybody can post nonsense on you tube. Short answer is no if done correctly.
Ben@WeaponX (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I have a WeaponX ported throttle body on my 2014 Z51. I really enjoy it. I also have a Halltech Cold Air Intake and a Corsa Extreme exhaust......my ported throttle body works very well with the aforementioned items!
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
Ben@WeaponX (11-08-2017), sales @ WXM (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:39 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Kooks headers, halltech, katech ported throttle body with a tune(hp tuners) and off idle throttle is improved and noticed immediately after installing the ported throttle body.

So if you have a third peddle the "normal driving" to me is actually easier.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:00 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Do you have to get a tune after installing a ported throttle body? I thought i read it wasnt required.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
Do you have to get a tune after installing a ported throttle body? I thought i read it wasnt required.
Is it required? No.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
def not, I only mentioned tuning for larger TBs or ones improperly ported
Old 11-08-2017, 03:50 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

In all earnestness, because I'm in 'discovery / learning' mode here, I have to ask is your warranty in tact ?

I've learned that freeflowing intake and exhaust need to be considered together when looking an improving engine power / performance but do these affect the warranty ? Which of the following puts you the 'you better have a good freaking relationship with your dealership' territory :
  1. X or H pipe
  2. Axle back exhaust
  3. CAI
  4. Ported TB

Before I go placing orders, I think long and hard about consequences so I'm genuinely interested.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I have a WeaponX ported throttle body on my 2014 Z51. I really enjoy it. I also have a Halltech Cold Air Intake and a Corsa Extreme exhaust......my ported throttle body works very well with the aforementioned items!
Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 AM
brettmess24
Racer

Originally Posted by tcinla
In all earnestness, because I'm in 'discovery / learning' mode here, I have to ask is your warranty in tact ?

I've learned that freeflowing intake and exhaust need to be considered together when looking an improving engine power / performance but do these affect the warranty ? Which of the following puts you the 'you better have a good freaking relationship with your dealership' territory :
  1. X or H pipe
  2. Axle back exhaust
  3. CAI
  4. Ported TB

Before I go placing orders, I think long and hard about consequences so I'm genuinely interested.

Most likely you will be fine with what you listed and never have a problem. Your list is all easily returned to stock should you have a major failure but I doubt any of these parts would cause a failure installed properly.

When you get into tuning the car To get the most out of it performance wise you pay to fix what you break.

only way to look at it

i would pose to you why stop there if your going to spend 50% of the cost and net 10% of the performance? An x pipe, cai, and ptb aren't going to net you much performance wise and not sound much better than stock npp?

Just buy that list minus the x pipe and add long tube headers and a tune

if you want your warranty buy a ported throttle body only.

Last edited by brettmess24; 11-09-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:29 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

A good rule of thumb is, if you're not tuning (likely tuning out a CEL for your new upgrades), you're in good shape on your warranty. Nothing you mention in your list should impact your warranty. In fact, I may or may not have everything on your list (except I have OEM NPP) installed on my car right now ( I say may or may not in case you're an EPA narc)
Old 11-09-2017, 02:05 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Good Info. My point is : Can I roll into the dealer service with the listed mods an not be banished to warranty block land --OR-- Do i have to hide those listed mods if going to the dealer?

If it's the latter, I have my answer.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:22 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Originally Posted by tcinla
Good Info. My point is : Can I roll into the dealer service with the listed mods an not be banished to warranty block land --OR-- Do i have to hide those listed mods if going to the dealer?

If it's the latter, I have my answer.

ask your dealer

Get notified of new replies

To Do ported TB's affect normal driving ?

Old 11-09-2017, 04:36 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

About asking the dealer.... From some reading, it looks like it's not the dealer who decides Warranty status but the manufacturer - GM.

Found this on another forum on the topic of 'What will void my warranty' - Post # 19

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/warran...arranty-2.html
Quoted -

================

"The only thing GM needs to prove is the consumer broke the terms of the warranty contract, that everyone excepts when purchasing the car.

The MMA is the most ms-interpeted consumer protection act ever written. The purpose of the act, was to protect the consumer from the manufacture changing the terms of the warranty after the fact.

The problem we have now, is based on one single court case decades a go. A judge made a ruling based on his opinion, that a consumer could make repairs on his car using parts from a local auto parts store (after market) rather than OEM from a dealer without breaking the terms of their warranty contract. Since that time, the legal folks have run crazy with it after seeing the generic term after market. Blame it on the judge for not being more specific in his opinion, and stating he meant OEM spec after market and not performance. His references were made about replacing a bad water pump with a NAPA brand rather than factory.

Since this time, GM along with other manufactures have changed the wording in the warranty's offered on their products. Now the only thing they need to prove is if the terms of the warranty were broken by the consumer."
================

So, a dealer can agree to do warranty work on a modded car but GM has the last word. I guess some dealers know how to work the system to get such work done but if the engine is toast, I'm sure GM would get involved and side with the $$ rather than the car owner.

Post # 38 in that thread is also a good read.

Last edited by tcinla; 11-09-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:58 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

My best advice is, if you're uncomfortable, wait out your 3/36 5/60. Then go nuts. I can tell you that your listed items should have no impact, but I'm sure some full time internet warrior will post a link from some Dodge Neon forum about a guy who knew a guy who's uncle's ex wife's warranty was terminated because her new boyfriend installed an aftermarket air filter on her Chrysler 200.
The problem is, where does the fear mongering stop and where does reality begin? Can GM deny my warranty if I do my own Mobil 1 oil change? What about using full synthetic Amsoil trans fluid? I don't see why not if we're stretching anyway. Just gets silly after a while, but if you truly worry, hey you spent a bunch of money to buy your car, just avoid modding anything until you're out of warranty. Best way to sleep well at night.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Dave_the_Dude
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

This is great news. I've been planning the following upgrades, all at once, and then a tune. I'm hoping it will get me into the upper 400s RWHP, which I think is more than enough for the light weight of the Grandsport (maybe I'm wrong? I'm looking at superchargers as well, lol). Anyway, was thinking about this combo... any feedback from WeaponX or others who have done it? I know you guys know your stuff...

I'm thinking weapon-x ported throttle body, vararam intake, longtube headers with high-flow cats (probably ARH although I'm tempted by the TSPs due to the way lower cost), and corsa extreme, with a tune.

Last edited by Dave_the_Dude; 11-13-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Do ported TB's affect normal driving ?