C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure for Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:51 AM
billboy52
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure for Track Day

I am planning to do my first track day with my 2016 Stingray. There seem to be various recommendations regarding cold tire pressure for track day events. Most seem to set cold tire pressure at 26 - 29 psi. However, my track's self inspection checklist requires tire pressure to be set at 5# above manufacturers recommended pressure. Based on my door plate that would mean setting a cold tire pressure of 40 psi. Can someone help explain the differences? Thanks!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

If you start out with 40 psi cold tire pressure, you will be all over the place on track... Who, or where, are you going that recommends that?! There is not one good setting for tire pressure as it varies on track, driver/style, and various other conditions. For your first track day I would suggest just leaving the tire at 32-25 and focus on everything else as tire pressure should be the least of your concerns. Is this your first time on track ever, or just in this car?

Last edited by fleming23; 11-15-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:55 AM
billboy52
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
If you start out with 40 psi cold tire pressure, you will be all over the place on track... Who, or where, are you going that recommends that?! There is not one good setting for tire pressure as it varies on track, driver/style, and various other conditions. For your first track day I would suggest just leaving the tire at 32-25 and focus on everything else as tire pressure should be the least of your concerns. Is this your first time on track ever, or just in this car?
I took the two day Corvette Owners School at Spring Mountain Ranch earlier this year but this my first Track Day with my car. The NOLA Motorsports Automobile Inspection Form states:
Tire Pressure (street tires at least 5 psi cold above manufacture recommendation )

Based on the doorplate of my car, the recommended tire pressure is 35 psi hence a track day pressure (according to NOLA) of 40 psi.

Thanks for the response!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:06 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I wouldn't get in the car at 40psi cold. You're talking legitimate safety issues there.
The following users liked this post:
billboy52 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I wouldn't get in the car at 40psi cold. You're talking legitimate safety issues there.
I agree. That's really bad.

You want it at about 33 or 34 HOT.

What's odd is that the owners manual and track prep guide say two different things (there's a Tadge question for someone).

I would just take a copy of the track prep guide to the event and show them where it says to set it to 26 cold for track use.
billboy52 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:15 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

I've never heard of a tech inspection list telling you what tire pressure to run let alone to run higher pressures than street? I think the GM track prep recommendation of 26 cold is about right for a starting point. I drive to the track so i usually air down to 28 once there since the tires are bit warm and then throughout the day I air down more to make sure they don't go over 35 hot. 33-34 hot has given me nice even tire wear so far.
billboy52 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by billboy52
I am planning to do my first track day with my 2016 Stingray. There seem to be various recommendations regarding cold tire pressure for track day events. Most seem to set cold tire pressure at 26 - 29 psi. However, my track's self inspection checklist requires tire pressure to be set at 5# above manufacturers recommended pressure. Based on my door plate that would mean setting a cold tire pressure of 40 psi. Can someone help explain the differences? Thanks!
That is a very old checklist. They used to get a lot more camber challenged cars with high profile tires that didn't corner as well and the safe bet to keep the tires from rolling over was to set pressures about 5 pounds over.

This is a self check list so the pressure is what you want it to be. Since you have a Stingray with a 35 psi cold pressure door sticker I would set the cold tire pressure to 32 psi front and 30 psi rear. This will balance out nicely on the track. Once you get back from your first session check the pressures and I think you will find them about equal all the way around the car. You may have to drop a pound at a time on specific tires to get them into the 35 psi hot range. Once you get a hot pressure that works for you then let the car sit overnight and record the cold pressures you see the next morning. That is what you will set your cold track pressures to at subsequent events.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
billboy52 (11-16-2017), desmophile (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

+1, I remember that +5-7 from OEM recommendation from a long time ago. I remember wondering why people can turn-in so much better..

Yeah, please ignore that recommendation : )
billboy52 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 01:26 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is a very old checklist. They used to get a lot more camber challenged cars with high profile tires that didn't corner as well and the safe bet to keep the tires from rolling over was to set pressures about 5 pounds over.

This is a self check list so the pressure is what you want it to be. Since you have a Stingray with a 35 psi cold pressure door sticker I would set the cold tire pressure to 32 psi front and 30 psi rear. This will balance out nicely on the track. Once you get back from your first session check the pressures and I think you will find them about equal all the way around the car. You may have to drop a pound at a time on specific tires to get them into the 35 psi hot range. Once you get a hot pressure that works for you then let the car sit overnight and record the cold pressures you see the next morning. That is what you will set your cold track pressures to at subsequent events.

Bill
I'm not sure I agree with 32 cold. That's far too high imo. I run about 26-28 depending on the track (some get more heat into tires). GM recommends 26. 32 is far too high.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm not sure I agree with 32 cold. That's far too high imo. I run about 26-28 depending on the track (some get more heat into tires). GM recommends 26. 32 is far too high.
That may be correct. I know GM recommends 26 in the OM. However, he is running a Stingray Vs a Z51/Z06/GS. Stingray street cold tire pressure is 35 psi Vs the 30 psi of the other models. So I am recommending a lower pressure than what is on the door sticker. The wheels are narrower and 32/30 has always been a good starting point for me since I started running my 86 C4 and was wondering about which pressures would work.

As I said he can adjust pressure during the day as he gets experience. Initially, it is better to be a little on the high side to avoid damaging the edges of the tires. As a novice he will be buried in all the info you need to consider on track and won't be pushing the car that hard for several sessions so a higher pressure won't be an issue. After his second session he can check the hot pressures to see where they are and adjust from there. It is always easier to adjust down Vs up as you don't need an air supply to go down.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-16-2017 at 01:10 PM.
billboy52 (11-16-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Tire pressure for Track Day

Quick Reply: Tire pressure for Track Day