C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Magnetic Ride Control Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:55 PM
stingrayfred
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Magnetic Ride Control Calibration

A local Chevy dealer has advised that there is an updated magnetic ride control calibration setting for C7's. Has anyone else heard about this? The cost is between $300-$400. Would it be worthwhile even if you don't
participate in road or rally racing?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Forum search is your friend. This has been discussed over and over again in several other threads. But I'm sure you will get some replies here too!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You pay $350 and the dealer charges the labor to a special code provided to them by GM. Just had the upgrade installed in my car last Friday.

Bill
Old 01-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You pay $350 and the dealer charges the labor to a special code provided to them by GM. Just had the upgrade installed in my car last Friday.

Bill
I'd appreciate knowing what your thoughts are on the upgrade thus far. I'm contemplating the same for my '16 Stingray.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM
RocksZC7
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Is the upgrade free if the C7 is still under warranty?
Thanks

Last edited by RocksZC7; 01-06-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by RocksZC7
Is the upgrade free if the C7 is still under warranty?
Thanks
Nope
Old 01-06-2018, 09:26 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

My dealer talked me out of doing this. He recommended that unless you track the car it's pointless and you may not be happy with the results for street use.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
My dealer talked me out of doing this. He recommended that unless you track the car it's pointless and you may not be happy with the results for street use.
Just exactly what does your dealer know about this? The vast majority of dealership sales people, managers and service people have no idea what it does. Not because they are stupid but because they sell trucks, SUVs and sedans and don't understand the sports car market. They think you are an SUV Customer looking for cup holders and a comfortable ride. At most you might find a few drag racers in the group but that doesn't help much either other than they may be more willing to listen.

As for the calibrations there are two each for both the 15 and 16 model years. One provides changes for the street modes and one provides changes for the street and track modes. The difference is there are some people who have modified their suspension for the track who won't want to use the GM track update. This lets them get the street set up for a better street experience. I had the update for both street and track installed in my Z07. The first thing I noticed when I drove it home from the dealership was less harshness in Touring Mode. When the tires hit bumps the reaction wasn't as harsh. There is a section on the road home that has been patched a lot of times and has one patch on top of another. You get a lot of little 1/2 inch to 1 inch changes in level driving over it. The ride across that section was more compliant but controlled better. It reduced the lumber wagon feel to some degree. It is no longer as good of a section of the road to find out where rattles are coming from.

Bill
The following 5 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Formula52 (01-10-2018), Highplains (01-06-2018), jim2092 (01-07-2018), SterlingDrive (01-14-2018), timmyZ06 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 12:11 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Good information and thanks for your input. Just so you know my dealership isn't like most dealerships. The service manager races corvettes and 40% of their service is on Corvettes only. They have world class Corvette Master technicians. They have also completed several of these updates and have received feedback from numerous people. I would never make this decision based on the feedback from a typical Chevrolet dealers service department. People from all over California and from other states actually come to this dealership for service on their corvettes. So Bill, I would say they know a lot about this. Not worth it for me to have a better ride in Touring mode since I never use it.

Just exactly what does your dealer know about this? The vast majority of dealership sales people, managers and service people have no idea what it does. Not because they are stupid but because they sell trucks, SUVs and sedans and don't understand the sports car market. They think you are an SUV Customer looking for cup holders and a comfortable ride. At most you might find a few drag racers in the group but that doesn't help much either other than they may be more willing to listen.

As for the calibrations there are two each for both the 15 and 16 model years. One provides changes for the street modes and one provides changes for the street and track modes. The difference is there are some people who have modified their suspension for the track who won't want to use the GM track update. This lets them get the street set up for a better street experience. I had the update for both street and track installed in my Z07. The first thing I noticed when I drove it home from the dealership was less harshness in Touring Mode. When the tires hit bumps the reaction wasn't as harsh. There is a section on the road home that has been patched a lot of times and has one patch on top of another. You get a lot of little 1/2 inch to 1 inch changes in level driving over it. The ride across that section was more compliant but controlled better. It reduced the lumber wagon feel to some degree. It is no longer as good of a section of the road to find out where rattles are coming from.

Bill
Old 01-07-2018, 12:27 AM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like your dealer is a moron, just saying. Tadge went well in-depth what was done and what the benefits are. Given his experience and past with the community, I tend to believe him over a dealers opinion.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:47 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Yeah, Tadge has also said and promised other things that were either not true or never happened. Also keep in mind who he works for. You have no idea who my dealer is so I don't really care what you think. If anything the dealer would be promoting this upgrade to make money so I tend to listen to their advice based on their own experiences. Goodbye!

Originally Posted by CSevenGS
Sounds like your dealer is a moron, just saying. Tadge went well in-depth what was done and what the benefits are. Given his experience and past with the community, I tend to believe him over a dealers opinion.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Yeah, Tadge has also said and promised other things that were either not true or never happened. Also keep in mind who he works for. You have no idea who my dealer is so I don't really care what you think. If anything the dealer would be promoting this upgrade to make money so I tend to listen to their advice based on their own experiences. Goodbye!
I think you are trusting a dealership to be knowledgeable when there are far too many dealerships and independent shops that have no clue about performance mods offered by GM or what they are for. Whoever advised you was severely misinformed at the least or just stupid at the worst. Would you believe the person if they told you that if your car caught fire you should sit in it to see what happens.

Something else you should think about: those same mods are already part of the stock software installed on every 2017, 2018, and 2019 Z07 delivered from the factory. Would they refuse to sell you a new car because it might ride too rough?

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Bwright (01-24-2018), DebRedZR1 (01-15-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 03:00 AM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Unless your dealer has been an engineer at GM for a very long time and integral to the development of several generations of Corvette including the C7...I know enough about your dealer to know he wasn't. Loyalty to a dealer is a little naive in my opinion. If you read the posts here from fellow owners who've got the update, I'd say the consensus is that your dealer is a moron.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:20 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Less low speed harshness in the Tour mode on a ZO6 as described by Bill Dearborn has sold me. Made an appointment for this week.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:50 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

^^interested to see how long it takes
Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

As for the calibrations there are two each for both the 15 and 16 model years.
Bill,

Do you have any knowledge/opinion of how the calibration update works on a '14 Z51 coupe?

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike
The following users liked this post:
B-STOCK (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 AM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Go to the forums home page. Click on "ask Tadge". Click on Mag. Ride.... Everything you want to know about the calibration.

Get notified of new replies

To New Magnetic Ride Control Calibration

Old 01-10-2018, 12:30 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Bill,

Do you have any knowledge/opinion of how the calibration update works on a '14 Z51 coupe?

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike
I have a 15 Z51 and am wondering the same thing about how it would affect the touring mode but I am looking for it in simple speech. ie: softens the ride a bit etc. Not a two page explanation than you have to have a engineering degree to understand. Anybody?
Highplains (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by B-STOCK
I have a 15 Z51 and am wondering the same thing about how it would affect the touring mode but I am looking for it in simple speech. ie: softens the ride a bit etc. Not a two page explanation than you have to have a engineering degree to understand. Anybody?
I'm with you in waiting for some folks who have actual experience with the upgrade. I have a 2016 base model and am interested in the performance of the touring mode after the change.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Don't know how it will feel with the Z51 but it definitely took the harshness out of the Z07 when driving in Tour Mode. Handling didn't seem to be affected but I really don't push all that hard in Tour Mode except in the traffic circle at the entrance to my development. I am working on going through that tight circle at 30 mph where most people go through it at 15.

Bill
DebRedZR1 (01-15-2018)

Quick Reply: New Magnetic Ride Control Calibration