C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought 2017 GS Corvette, not happy with stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:58 AM
ajrubincpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bought 2017 GS Corvette, not happy with stalling

I have a question for those who might have experienced the same thing I have over the last year and a half. I bought a 2017 GS Corvette, with manual transmission. On several occasions, usually when I am idling at a stop light, once the light turns green and I try to accelerate, the car stalls and I have to restart the engine. I thought at first it was user error by not keeping my foot on the clutch enough. However, I also had a manual transmission C6 Corvette and did not have this problem nearly as often, only on a rare occasions. Sometimes the car will simply stall right at the traffic light before I even start to accelerate. I feel the car also idles a little rough. Now, I am not sure if it is the gas I use, which is normally Costco Premium 93 Octane, or maybe the fuel lines and/or fuel pump needs some type of cleaning. I am currently trying out the Shell 93 Octane gasoline to determine if there is any improvement in the idle and stalling. The bone heads at the Chevrolet dealerships can't tell me what they think the problem is. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am starting to lose patience with this car.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:32 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Delicately as I can say this...

It sounds as though you aren't engaging the clutch properly. If you have a good setup in your car, you should be able to keep your foot OFF of the gas and slowly let out the clutch without stalling the car. I could do that on every stick shift car I've owned.

Try it in a parking lot. See if you can let the clutch out slowly while in first gear without giving it any gas. If the car doesn't stall, then it is driver error causing the stalling. IF you can't let the clutch out slowly and get the car to idle forward in first gear, then the clutch has an issue or the car does.

Elmer
Old 03-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

As they instruct drivers at Spring Mountain; When starting from a dead stop let the clutch out slowly until the car starts to move and then add some throttle to keep the engine from bogging. It works.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-07-2018 at 01:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Perf n Restore (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Ray7374
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrubincpa
I have a question for those who might have experienced the same thing I have over the last year and a half. I bought a 2017 GS Corvette, with manual transmission. On several occasions, usually when I am idling at a stop light, once the light turns green and I try to accelerate, the car stalls and I have to restart the engine. I thought at first it was user error by not keeping my foot on the clutch enough. However, I also had a manual transmission C6 Corvette and did not have this problem nearly as often, only on a rare occasions. Sometimes the car will simply stall right at the traffic light before I even start to accelerate. I feel the car also idles a little rough. Now, I am not sure if it is the gas I use, which is normally Costco Premium 93 Octane, or maybe the fuel lines and/or fuel pump needs some type of cleaning. I am currently trying out the Shell 93 Octane gasoline to determine if there is any improvement in the idle and stalling. The bone heads at the Chevrolet dealerships can't tell me what they think the problem is. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am starting to lose patience with this car.
I have a 2017 GS and mine will do the same. I have many friends in the automotive industry and when they drive my car they inevitably stumble/stall the car. I have gotten used to finessing the throttle from a stand still and it rarely happens anymore. I am convinced it is a tuning thing - basically for GM to make emissions numbers the car is running hyper lean at idle and if you motor away as you would in most any other car it will stumble. I test drove a Camaro that did the same.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:49 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray7374
I have a 2017 GS and mine will do the same. I have many friends in the automotive industry and when they drive my car they inevitably stumble/stall the car. I have gotten used to finessing the throttle from a stand still and it rarely happens anymore. I am convinced it is a tuning thing - basically for GM to make emissions numbers the car is running hyper lean at idle and if you motor away as you would in most any other car it will stumble. I test drove a Camaro that did the same.
Just wanted to add that the c7 clutch in my GS grabs high in the travel.
If you are not used to this it can contribute to the issue.
The following users liked this post:
UsernameProtected (03-20-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:45 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

I have also stalled my GS M7 on many occasions....there is something a little goofy with the throttle mapping..I have to concentrate with the C7 way more than any other car......but eventually you get used to it. All my cars are manual trans, and stalling them is rare. I don't recall stalling my 01 C5.....and I drove that for 15 years....

Last edited by ersatz928; 03-07-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:55 PM
cdunst
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 17 stingray and driven numerous manuals. As previously stated from a dead stop just let the clutch out until the car moves slightly an give it gas. To me this is one of the easiest manual transmission cars I have driven
Old 03-07-2018, 08:57 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Vittesse throttle controller... problem solved. Seriously... I did the same thing, installed the controller, never again.

It really is a throttle mapping issue...
Old 03-07-2018, 09:31 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

this is incorrect. it does not run "hyper lean" at any time (except DFCO). otherwise it runs at stoich unless you floor it and it richens up.

the issue is commonly complained about, the throttle blade opens slowly at low speed or stopped compared to pedal movement.

the bring the clutch pedal out until it moves and add just enough gas to keep it going is good advice. if you think you are going to pop the gas pedal and open the throttle body and then let the clutch out you are going to stall it.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:51 PM
REDBULLIT
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes I also have the same issue, I've driven stick for so many years and by far this grand sport is very tricky, it seems like one has to give it more gas thn usual in order for it not to stall, and yes the clutch does grab super high.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:43 PM
smurfmacaw
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 93 Octane at COSTCO??

Originally Posted by ajrubincpa
Dang, looks like I might have to go take a look at their gas station.....the lines are loony though.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

My prior C-5 was the first car I drove with a hydraulically operated clutch, and it took some getting acquainted with for sure, but learned the touch quickly. This may sound silly, but I find my ability to operate the clutch in my Z-51 smoothly has a lot to do with what I am wearing on my feet. I find lighter, soft soled shoes beneficial, barefooted being great, allows me to have a better feel on both clutch and throttle.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:58 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Really guys, just fix the throttle mapping. It really does stink. Just look up the posts on the Vittesse controller... That and the MGW shifter are by far the best mods I've done.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I really disliked the Vitesse on my M7. Anything above a setting of 2 had terrible tip-in that magnified the driveline slop inherent in a manual. It made coasting along with light throttle miserable...like a 16 year old massaging on and off the throttle.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:06 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Its called off idle "tip in" which is hesitant. The tip in configuration is programed to slow and dead idle light throttle lean condition doesn't help. Some cars have a very sensitive quick tip in ( not v8 camaro's or corvette's)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:16 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes it does engage further up and I noticed one benefit of the ported throttle body that seemed to actually help.

Last edited by brettmess24; 03-08-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:40 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

My M7 Z06 did the same thing stumble and you need to feather gas or it will die. Not your driving but an error in the throttle..

Several forum guys reported trying a ported throttle body guys buy the Tony MAMO for about 3XX.XX dollars.

I bought one the problem is 95 percent gone and never dies and feels much stronger off idle.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought 2017 GS Corvette, not happy with stalling

Old 03-09-2018, 01:01 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Has it always been like this? If not, something has changed. Hence, your possible issues related to gas, etc. might be relevant, if so... whole other story.

Frankly, I also think some are having problems with the Hill Holder-like function, whatever GM calls it. (sorry, but I still use the original Studebaker name for it).

In any event, best of luck with it.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 AM
RecklessOp
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
This may sound silly, but I find my ability to operate the clutch in my Z-51 smoothly has a lot to do with what I am wearing on my feet. I find lighter, soft soled shoes beneficial, barefooted being great, allows me to have a better feel on both clutch and throttle.
Not silly at all. I've had the exact same experience with it that I've noticed recently. An old pair of converse allstars I'll bum around in on the weekends lets me operate the car much smoother. The hard soles on the kinds of dress shoes I wear to work definitely make it harder to sense the subtleties. I've stalled it a couple times that way but never in the softer shoes.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:11 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I really disliked the Vitesse on my M7. Anything above a setting of 2 had terrible tip-in that magnified the driveline slop inherent in a manual. It made coasting along with light throttle miserable...like a 16 year old massaging on and off the throttle.
I really have no idea what you are talking about. If you're ever around the Mid Atlantic you're welcome to drive mine, It doesn't do that...

Quick Reply: Bought 2017 GS Corvette, not happy with stalling