C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up motor for headers clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:32 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Jacking up motor for headers clearance

Good Day All,

Has anyone done kooks 2" primary long tubes header install? In the directions, it calls for jacking up the motor 3/4" for clearance. I loosened the 4 nuts on the bolts that face downward on the cross member and jacked up the engine with a block of wood and screw stand and nothing, the front suspension started lifting instead of the motor so I backed off. The next thing I can think of is disconnecting the actual mounts on the engine block then raising. Has anyone raised their motor for kooks header install? I can't even get the factory manifold out. Any help/experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:14 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

You need to do the same to the other side of the motor mounts also BUT don't let that side totally nut off just leave about one are two turns on the nut. That will let it move but also do the jacking the side so only one side goes over. Robert
The following users liked this post:
Rdubfalco (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Originally Posted by robert miller
You need to do the same to the other side of the motor mounts also BUT don't let that side totally nut off just leave about one are two turns on the nut. That will let it move but also do the jacking the side so only one side goes over. Robert
When you say "other side of the motor mounts" do you mean the part of the mount that are actually bolted to the engine block? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:04 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdubfalco
When you say "other side of the motor mounts" do you mean the part of the mount that are actually bolted to the engine block? Thanks.
If it was me yes but look at the mounts then totally unhook the one side you are putting the header on. Then the other side loosen at the block are the cross member which ever one that will give the most lead way WITHOUT totally unloosing the bolt are nut on that side.

It may be best to look are call one of the big HP vendors in here like VR are weapon x & ask one the guy. I did put a set of 2 inch headers in a c5 & also had to pull the S/rod from the fire wall totally out to get the drivers side onto the car.

But you want one side totally unhook the other as close to that as possible with out doing so. so that when you lower it back down it will go per say back into place. Then do the same to the other side.

Last edited by robert miller; 03-12-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Update:

--I have the factory Exhaust Manifolds out. I was able to loosen the 4s nut on the bottom of the motor mount and jack the engine up (via screw stand and block of wood) approximately 3/4" to remove manifolds. I test fitted headers and they actually went in smoother than the factory manifold.

--Now before I actually install I'm currently working on connecting the 02 sensor extension for the (catless) x-pipe. Does anyone know "how-to" disconnect the electrical connector? I'm working tediously to ensure I don't break the connector. I looked for videos on YouTube and have not found our specific connector, but I'm sure there's something out there. Anyways I'm sure I'll figure it out later on today. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up motor for headers clearance

Quick Reply: Jacking up motor for headers clearance