C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When leather starts to stretch and wear...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:29 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default When leather starts to stretch and wear...

When a car starts to accumulate some mileage, like 40-50K and above, you can often start to see wear on the driver seat. This usually takes the form of the leather getting stretched so it looks "loose" and the natural grain wears, leaving the leather smooth and polished.

Is there a way for a decent upholstery shop to fix that without replacing it? Part of me wonders if you can't just tighten up the seams and then somehow "degloss" the leather.

I'm not sure how you could take the shine off of worn leather. Steel wool? 2000 grit emory? Not possible?

Tight, matte leather is one of those "tells" for a new car, and I'd love to know how to preserve/recreate it!
Old 03-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Yes, I have seen mobile auto upholsterers do wonders. You just have to find the right one. If you call the service managers at your local high end Jag, BMW, MB, and ask who they use. It is unbelievable what a good one can do.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:04 PM
TorchZ51
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Its not worth hassle to try and freshen up a worn out seat cover in my opinion. Brand new seat covers are inexpensive and relatively easy to replace.

Last edited by TorchZ51; 03-16-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:07 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

An experienced person with a heat gun can do wonders in shrinking the leather to get out wrinkles and "puckering".....

And gentle use of a wet Magic Eraser pad will remove worn-in dirt and the shineyness.

Last edited by ersatz928; 03-16-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

A lot of times it isn't the leather that is loose. It is the foam underneath that isn't filling the space that it used to fill. All automotive leathers have a protective coating on them to keep out moisture and dirt so I wouldn't use an abrasive on them to get rid of the shine. The leather seat bottoms in my C6Z got fairly loose and floppy and I purchased two of those $40 kits a forum member used to sell. The kit consisted of a fabric that was placed between the foam and the springs so the foam didn't sink down into the spring, some very stiff foam pieces that were glued to the frame to provide extra support to the stock foam and a felt pad that added extra stiffness under the foam. Once all of that was installed the seat bottom filled out very tightly and the leather looked a lot better.

In our Corvettes the leather wear can be reduced by getting in the car properly so the person's butt doesn't rub down the side of the seat bolster. That means sitting down first and then swiveling the legs in. Putting the leg in first will ruin the side of the seat back over time.

Bill
Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Do a general internet search, including wrinkles in home leather sofas.
Yes some say that heat gun, heated towels and/ or a steamer gun can reduce wrinkles.

I tend to agree that it is a foam issue.

If you try heat, please let us know and post a before and after photo.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:08 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Mine's still OK - only 6000 miles. I think my highest mileage car right now is my Range Rover with 35K and it's start starting to stretch a little.

I get in the Z "properly" so I don't have any bolster wear and don't anticipate a lot of stretch, but it really feels like a big factor between "new" and "well preserved" cars.

Really I guess I was wondering if you found a good used car with stretchy leather wear, can it be made "like new" reasonably cheaply? Like if someone offered me a good deal on a Wraith but the seat leather was stretched...

Last edited by davepl; 03-18-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:06 PM
anthonyjohn
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone!!!
i want to use a good steamer
so i need to help you
anyone help me tell about good steamer
Old 07-17-2018, 10:37 AM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Steamer

Originally Posted by anthonyjohn
hi everyone!!!
i want to use a good steamer
so i need to help you
anyone help me tell about good steamer
These are professional units that work very well:

https://jiffysteamer.com/

Get notified of new replies

To When leather starts to stretch and wear...

Quick Reply: When leather starts to stretch and wear...