C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next round of track mods in progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:36 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Default Next round of track mods in progress

Dropped my baby off at Able Chevy for the first work I am not doing myself. Helps knowing she is in good hands. I’m taking my car to the next level for serious track fun. Getting Monoball bushings, locking camber kit, Mag Ride update, corner balance, and fresh alignment. Can’t wait to see the difference going to a metal bushing. As my seat is bolted directly to the floor, I should have excellent chassis feed back! I’m very excited!
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2018, 04:29 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I did the bushings in the c5 with a set of coilovers & corner bal. I really did like it made a good diff in the car... Robert
Old 03-23-2018, 11:00 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

You ain’t kidding! Wow, what a difference! I had the mag ride update done at the same time. Response is instant! I can now adjust my line mid apex with much more accuracy. The car is just super responsive. Defiantly a mod for hard core track junkies only. Now tour mode feels a little stiffer than sport with the stock bushings. I love it. Before I hated when I forgot I was in tour mode and threw her in a corner. Way to soft. Now, it rails through corners in Tour and just gives more traction! Sport is now way bumpier that Track mode previously. I can’t wait to experiment on the race track with sport and now tour mod. Track feels like a legit race car now. Not for street use. Even in Tour I feel every single bump in the road, in a good way for my kind of insanity.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

How did your alignment numbers turn out? In my case, we had to spend 4-5 hours on the alignment rack to make it perfect.

Have fun with the new setup!
Old 03-24-2018, 02:09 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Originally Posted by X25
How did your alignment numbers turn out? In my case, we had to spend 4-5 hours on the alignment rack to make it perfect.

Have fun with the new setup!
Came out pretty good, and took them a few hours. I’ll post the read out for specifics when I get home. Going from a notoriously shitty memory
Front camber -2.5 with a .05 Toe out
Rear camber -1.5 can’t remember toe but think it is also at .05 toe out

I did all this as my alignment keeps getting destroyed in the sweeper at Buttonwillow. My front toe had slipped from .05 out to .35 out. Really tore up the inside of my tire. Now with new toe links and Monoball bushings, and locking camber kit, I am looking to return to Buttonwillow to see if I can make a tire last longer than 45 min.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Looks like you're running a C7. I'm really surprised that you went with what sounds like the GM mag shock update instead of getting the DSC Sport Controller.

With the DSC controller you can really fine-tune your mag shocks whenever you want for exactly how you drive, or different tracks you might run.

The GM mag shock tune is a one-time thing and you can't do any adjustments to it at all.

Also, the C7 rear caster is CRITICAL!! You said "Able" Chevy, but if you actually mean "Abel" in Rio Vista, they are a GREAT dealer to have your work done!! They definitely know how to do C7 alignments and the rear caster. What did you get the rear caster set to???

Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Looks like you're running a C7. I'm really surprised that you went with what sounds like the GM mag shock update instead of getting the DSC Sport Controller.

With the DSC controller you can really fine-tune your mag shocks whenever you want for exactly how you drive, or different tracks you might run.

The GM mag shock tune is a one-time thing and you can't do any adjustments to it at all.

Also, the C7 rear caster is CRITICAL!! You said "Able" Chevy, but if you actually mean "Abel" in Rio Vista, they are a GREAT dealer to have your work done!! They definitely know how to do C7 alignments and the rear caster. What did you get the rear caster set to???

Already tried out the DSC. I was one of the first with a bad unit. Having the unit fail in a corner and cause a spin out, soured me to it. I’m good with the stock unit for now. I’ll probably go back to DSC once it’s been awhile a bit longer. Yes Abel.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Already tried out the DSC. I was one of the first with a bad unit...
Sorry to hear that. I've had my DSC controller for 16 months now (I got it in the beginning of Dec 2016 - one of the first ones). Mine has worked flawlessly from day 1!!

Your alignment looks okay.

Butt....what is your rear caster???

The rear caster needs to be manually written on the printout!

I'm very surprised that Abel Chevy didn't write that on the printout for you. You need to go back and get them to tell you what the rear caster is set to.

What did you tell them you wanted the rear caster spec to be? It's really a very critical part of the alignment of a C7 - especially for the track!!

Old 03-25-2018, 10:31 AM
SFCTeach
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Already tried out the DSC. I was one of the first with a bad unit. Having the unit fail in a corner and cause a spin out, soured me to it. I’m good with the stock unit for now. I’ll probably go back to DSC once it’s been awhile a bit longer. Yes Abel.
I just posted that my 2017 Grand Sport received the replacement board to fix the "service suspension" issue and this morning the message re-surfaced twice! It put a damper on my last track day last year I thought I was going into the 2018 season with a solid board. This is pretty disappointing. I think I will schedule the OEM controller update.

Get notified of new replies

To Next round of track mods in progress

Quick Reply: Next round of track mods in progress