C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 04:31 PM
Mike Sr
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS Question

I was being cheap today and bought 4 tpms off Craig’s list today. They were advertised as fitting a C6. After I had a chance to really look the over I found they at 433mhz tpms not 315mhz. Can anyone tell me if they are going to work for me?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Sr
I was being cheap today and bought 4 tpms off Craig’s list today. They were advertised as fitting a C6. After I had a chance to really look the over I found they at 433mhz tpms not 315mhz. Can anyone tell me if they are going to work for me?
You're in the C7 Tech Section, so you can ask over in the C6 section.

Butt I'll tell you......NO!!

What year is your C6???

For a 2005-2009 C6 you need GM Part# 25758220

A 2010-2013 C6 requires either GM Part# 15268606 or 20925924 (either one will work)

BTW - C6 sensors for U.S. Vettes are all 315MHz. For C6 Vettes made for delivery in Europe they had a different TPMS that required a different sensor that transmits on 433MHz. And I believe C6's that went to Japan had a sensor that transmitted on some 8xxMHz frequency.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:26 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

433 was for US spec later C6 , they will not work for yours
Dave
Old 04-01-2018, 10:27 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Our C7 tire pressure sensors transmit to the TPMS on 433MHz. Our C7 does an auto learn procedure that does not require a TPMS tool - if you put in new sensors or swap on a different set of wheels/tires/sensors, just drive the car and they will automatically log the new sensors into the TPMS module memory.

The C6 required a TPMS tool if you put in new sensors or a different set of wheels.

All C6 Vettes built for sale in the U.S. had a TPMS that required tire pressure sensors that transmitted on 315MHz - that's ALL model years!!

Chevy did change the TPMS for the 2010 model year, and it required a different sensor, but before and after the change the sensors for U.S. cars transmitted on 315MHz.

Here's a picture where I'm checking a sensor on a 2005-2009 C6. The TPMS tool sends out a VLF (Very Low Frequency) transmission on 125KHz that is a triggering signal that forces the sensor to transmit its data stream out - this is for checking the sensor or doing the "relearn" procedure to log a new set of sensors into the TPMS module memory. The TPMS tool receives the signal transmitted by the sensor, and you can see that it says on the bottom right of the screen that the sensor transmitted on 315MHz:

Several years ago at Sebring there was a C6 GS in the garage next to me, and I checked his tire pressure after coming off the track. You can see in the picture below that there is something on the screen that wasn't on the screen in the picture above - and that's the temperature.

When they changed TPMS and sensors with the 2010 model year, the sensors transmitted temperature in their data stream transmission. You couldn't see it on the DIC, but if you had a high-end TPMS tool you could see it displayed on the screen. And, you can see that the sensor used in the later model year C6's also transmitted on 315MHz:

Bottom line - ALL C6 sensors for Vettes built for delivery in the U.S. transmitted on 315MHz. Vettes built for delivery in Europe or Asia had different TPMS modules that required sensors that transmitted on different frequencies.

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-01-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Question

Quick Reply: TPMS Question