C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start Delay Issue? (Electrical Gremlin???) Any help will be appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:15 PM
460HP-YLO-JAKT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Start Delay Issue? (Electrical Gremlin???) Any help will be appreciated!

Just took my 2015 out of winter sleep that I have owned since new. Battery tendered for the duration. With foot on brake and start switch pushed, got a FOB not detected message ( this is only time message appeared). Put FOB in steering column and tried again. This time after letting go of start switch (1 to 1.5 sec.) starter engaged and engine started running. Tried several more starts with same result. After several frustrating minutes, I cycled lock and unlock features on the FOB. Surprise....everything back to normal and no delay in starting. Took car to dealer and had FOB batteries and car battery checked. All within limits.
Car sat 4 days with no battery tender. Tried starting car and got FOB not detected message again (just this one time). Put FOB in steering column slot and the starter had the 1 sec to 1.5 sec. delay again before engine started. I then cycled lock and unlock functions on FOB and everything back to normal. I've been driving car daily for 3 days and no issues yet.
Where do I look next?? HELP!!
Old 04-26-2018, 11:50 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

I've read more than a few threads on here with folks seeing odd symptoms in cars that have been sleeping for a while, even when they were kept on a battery tender. It seems generally that the batteries are a bit flat even with the tender and the cars return to normal after driving for a bit to give the alternator a good opportunity to charge the battery.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
460HP-YLO-JAKT (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Replace your FOB batteries. The batteries typically last 2.5-3 years. The car is even telling you that's the problem
Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kracka
Replace your FOB batteries. The batteries typically last 2.5-3 years. The car is even telling you that's the problem

When you put the FOB in the slot, it is starting. That says the car battery is fine the FOB is toast. Oh, by the way, change BOTH FOBs batteries. The battery runs down whether you use it or not.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 04-26-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:27 PM
460HP-YLO-JAKT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

When you put the FOB in the slot, it is starting. That says the car battery is fine the FOB is toast. Oh, by the way, change BOTH FOBs batteries. The battery runs down whether you use it or not.

Elmer
Just sent you a PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:02 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Elmer
Elmer's right. This is what happens when the FOB batteries die. Go to Walgreens and find a 2-pack of 2032 watch batteries. Pry open the FOB by using the corner of the removable metal key in the cavity that it sits in on the top of the FOB. Take the old ones out, put the new ones in (observing polarity !) and snap the FOB back together. You're good for another 4-5 years, Padewon !!
Old 05-01-2018, 04:02 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

My 2016 was delivered 9-21-2015 and i had to replace my FOB batteries today. It did not give any warning when i started my car to take it out of my garage to wash it. 2 hours later i go to start it and i get FOB not detected so i put it in the slot in the steering column and it starts up. I went and got my spare FOB that i have never used and it was dead too.

Get notified of new replies

To Start Delay Issue? (Electrical Gremlin???) Any help will be appreciated!

Quick Reply: Start Delay Issue? (Electrical Gremlin???) Any help will be appreciated!