C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard brake pedal after slalom in track-race mode - help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:58 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

BTW, what experience does Spring Mountain have with this?
They have one activity where you slam on the brakes on a wet surface and show that the car actually stops faster if you hit the brake hard.

I swear the first time I did it I had ICE mode, just didn't know it at the time as I had never had it happen before. Maybe it is just my memory but I remember them coming to me and saying I had to get on the brakes harder and I was thinking to myself, I was standing on the GD brake pedal...
Old 06-20-2018, 03:53 PM
serendib
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
They have one activity where you slam on the brakes on a wet surface and show that the car actually stops faster if you hit the brake hard.

I swear the first time I did it I had ICE mode, just didn't know it at the time as I had never had it happen before. Maybe it is just my memory but I remember them coming to me and saying I had to get on the brakes harder and I was thinking to myself, I was standing on the GD brake pedal...
The Spring Mountain wet skid pad had us in Wet mode to demonstrate how manageable the car was versus not in wet mode. I didn't think that I experienced Ice Mode like you did.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:55 PM
serendib
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I did ask one of the instructors (as well as Rick Malone) at Spring Mountain about ice mode and they were supposed to discuss with me at the end of the day but we never did.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:02 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I must have missed something-
does the "ice mode" problem occur only when in Track-PTM?

Although I enjoy autocross and track weekends, I use them as "training" for high performance street driving. Since I normally don't use Track or PTM on the street, I normally don't use them on the track. Yes, my times suffer for it.

That's not to take away from the annoyance and danger to people who do run Track-PTM, regardless of the circumstances.

"Yeah, be careful of that"

I was already on the brakes going into the bus stop, went a little off line and hit the curbing thing (yellow stuff). Unloaded a tire and ice mode and then I watched my life flash before my eyes.

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I’ve found I have to use a different brake technique. Instead of typical all on I ease to the level of brake I want very quickly. Never had a brake issue since. And I seem to out brake just about everyone. I use DTC70/60 combo with wonderful success.
Yup. Same here. Its really an issue if you have a bump in the braking zone.

Last edited by village idiot; 06-20-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:56 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

I must have missed something-
does the "ice mode" problem occur only when in Track-PTM?

Although I enjoy autocross and track weekends, I use them as "training" for high performance street driving. Since I normally don't use Track or PTM on the street, I normally don't use them on the track. Yes, my times suffer for it.

That's not to take away from the annoyance and danger to people who do run Track-PTM, regardless of the circumstances.

Wait you're serious? High performance street driving?
The following users liked this post:
daleong (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:58 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I lolled :o
Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Not kidding, but my concept involves driving at fast with precision. High enough to require concentration but not high enough to be foolish.
You can do whatever you wish.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:12 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

It also happens in Sport mode.
It has been happening to me the last 3 or 4 times out (autocross)... going fairly fast (120 kph) and then braking hard for the next corner....
ICE MODE. I actually asked about what was happening when I first experienced it 3 events ago... that's when I learned about ICE MODE.

Yes, my transition from gas to brake is QUICK.. I did learn that I should quickly lift off the brake, then re-apply.
Guess what.... maybe my reactions are very fast... but today when I did this, I had to re-lift and apply a few times to make them work.

And it happened with my wife today also.

So... brake a little bit sooner, and transition from about 25% to 100%.
This will affect how I enter a turn, so I'll have to be even smoother and come out a little stronger.

But when it happens when you are entering the stop box at "full tilt", it surely does cause a bit of "pucker"
and up/down up/down up/down brake pedal doesn't seem to make much difference.
Maybe off/on rather than up/down.

Here's a video of me going right through a "wall" because it wouldn't brake enough for me to turn.. 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by NTMD8R; 07-07-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:22 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I have 2016 Z06/Z07 that I switched Girodiscs and ST43 on to it. At Laguna Seca a few days ago I was getting ice mode going into turn 2(front straight hair pin) and going into Turn 8(90* hard left into the corkscrew). In both of these places was concerned about going off track. When I pitted after my session, my rotors were about 400*. A C6 Z06 that was in my group, his rotors were about 800* in the pits. I think the ice mode was limiting my braking pressure and hence rotor temperature. I am going to call Girodisc on Monday for their recommendation. With CCB's my car was a monster at Laguna Seca, I would brake really late and have complete confidence(the pedal never got really hard either).

IHMO, here the are questions that we need to answer-

Does anyone have this problem with a complete stock setup (Tires and brakes)?
Does anyone have this problem with stock brakes and different wheels/tires?
Does anyone have this problem with after market brakes and stock wheels?

I never had the problem with a complete stock setup. I only have the problem now with Girodisc/ST43 and smaller Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

I am considering either changing the brake pads or swapping on a set of Continentals in the stock size. The car was great with Michelin SportCup2 but they only last two track days, so they are too expensive to run in my view. The CCB brakes were the same problem for me, they worked great for the first 6 track days(1 set of pads) then I would go through a set of pads every track day. That was cost prohibitive to run, and hence the switch to Girodisc/ST43 combo.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:24 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
I have 2016 Z06/Z07 that I switched Girodiscs and ST43 on to it. At Laguna Seca a few days ago I was getting ice mode going into turn 2(front straight hair pin) and going into Turn 8(90* hard left into the corkscrew). In both of these places was concerned about going off track. When I pitted after my session, my rotors were about 400*. A C6 Z06 that was in my group, his rotors were about 800* in the pits. I think the ice mode was limiting my braking pressure and hence rotor temperature. I am going to call Girodisc on Monday for their recommendation. With CCB's my car was a monster at Laguna Seca, I would brake really late and have complete confidence(the pedal never got really hard either).

IHMO, here the are questions that we need to answer-

Does anyone have this problem with a complete stock setup (Tires and brakes)?
Does anyone have this problem with stock brakes and different wheels/tires?
Does anyone have this problem with after market brakes and stock wheels?

I never had the problem with a complete stock setup. I only have the problem now with Girodisc/ST43 and smaller Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

I am considering either changing the brake pads or swapping on a set of Continentals in the stock size. The car was great with Michelin SportCup2 but they only last two track days, so they are too expensive to run in my view. The CCB brakes were the same problem for me, they worked great for the first 6 track days(1 set of pads) then I would go through a set of pads every track day. That was cost prohibitive to run, and hence the switch to Girodisc/ST43 combo.
I haven't had it comepletely stock, but who the hell wants to run oem pads on the track? Even Spring Mountain runs aftermarket pads. Running street pads on the track is reckless IMO.
ive had it with mpss, cup2 and r888r

Last edited by village idiot; 07-08-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:35 AM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Right now my pads are Stock.
I had changed to G-loc X10 and X8, and that's when I first experienced the condition.
Of course, I blamed the pads.. so I removed them, and re-installed the OEM pads.
Last 2 events... same thing.
Mine is a 2016 Z06 A8. I am running Continentals Extremecontact for the wet,
and Toyo R888R in the dry.
It happens no matter what.

Something else to consider...we run in Sport mode, and I turn Traction Control off
if it is not soaking wet (rain). Traction Control does interfere with acceleration when its dry.
But I leave Active Handling on. Next event, I am going to turn Active Handling off,
and see if that makes any difference.

I was under the impression that Active Handling actually modulates the brakes (each wheel separately),
if it detects any excessive yaw in any of 4 directions. I could be wrong, and I'd love for someone
to correctly explain just how Active Handling does work.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:56 AM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

I found this about Active Handling...

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ehandling.html

This might be something to think about with respect to ICE MODE.
And maybe not
Old 07-08-2018, 09:02 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
I found this about Active Handling...

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ehandling.html

This might be something to think about with respect to ICE MODE.
And maybe not
I've personally experienced it in Sport 1 (Spring Mountain), Sport 2 and Race modes.

It shouldn't be in any PTM mode except maybe wet. Maybe.

Last edited by village idiot; 07-08-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:08 AM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I contacted Girodisc and I am going to try the ST31 pads, the least aggressive Raybestos track spec pad. I'll report back after my next trackway in about a month. I also google "Ice Mode Track" and it led to major thread on Rennlist https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...got-me-10.html
Our Porsche buddies have the same issue.

After reading through the various threads, IMHO, each car seems to be calibrated differently. IMHO, C7 Z06 Corvettes seem to have the ice mode problems more with different pads then with tires/slicks. On other cars it seems that changing the tires can cause the ice mode problem.

I also never had the problem when my Z07/Z07 when it was completely stock or I changed the tires. I also never had the problem on my 2013 Camaro ZL1 but the tires and pads were always the stock versions. The front pads did fade at lap 8 or more, but for number of trackdays per set and the price they were a good value. The same with Goodyear G:2 tires. My 2001 Mustang Cobra with Griggs suspension never had a problem with stock brakes and tires, or Hawk Blue, Black and DTC-70 pads. When I switched that car to 18 inch tires/rims and 14" Brembo 4 piston calipers, I could engage the Anti-locks at 120MPH, BUT THIS WAS NOT ICE MODE, and the car would immediately slow down. If hit the brake pedal easier and waited for the weight transfer the Anti-lock would not engage. The Z06 is going so much faster, I don't think have time to do a double pump if I hit Ice Mode. HTH

So I will try ST31, and if that does not fix it then go back to the exact same tires as stock and potentially stock Z06 pads for iron car(non-Z07). Right now I am running Michelin PSS one size narrower front and rear (no run-flats).
Old 07-10-2018, 11:56 AM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

As I said, I experience it with Stock pads or G-Loc pads, and in Track Mode, or Sport Mode, and with Toyo R888R tires or with
Conti ExtremeContact Sports.

I can make it happen no matter what in my 2016 Z06 which is completely stock..
Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 AM
ponderingtom
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that may not have seen it that are subscribed to this thread.... Tadge has spoken. (don't get your hopes up)

The Answer

Last edited by ponderingtom; 07-19-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
Old 07-19-2018, 03:03 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ponderingtom
For those that may not have seen it that are subscribed to this thread.... Tadge has spoken. (don't get your hopes up)

The Answer
summary: If you don't engage it, it won't engage (and a bunch of crap about how complicated it is).

Get notified of new replies

To Hard brake pedal after slalom in track-race mode - help!

Old 07-19-2018, 03:05 PM
ponderingtom
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
summary: If you don't engage it, it won't engage (and a bunch of crap about how complicated it is).
Sadly... this is accurate.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:58 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

There is no way you can tell me it's just the nature of the beast or a necessary evil.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, that Tadge response was a bit of a copout. Well its your fault for changing the pads, to track pads, so you can track your track car.

I can say into 6 at Road America you can trigger this every time but you can also drive around it.Mind you I was just giving up time to get around it by just rolling into the brakes and riding them before the car unloads at the top of the hill.

Last edited by Socko; 07-20-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Hard brake pedal after slalom in track-race mode - help!