C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Port injection as primary fuel sorce or secondary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:59 PM
FURBY LOC"S
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Port injection as primary fuel sorce or secondary?

So currently trying to build a 1000+ whp car c7 z06 and trying to get inputs of what you guys think is a best relaible option for 1000+whp fuel system
tunner is thinkinng on using acm prospeed ecu ,dual pumps, injectors, etc but using the port injection as primary fuel system instead of the factory fuel sytem what you guys think? Or what have you guys done?
Old 06-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

The combustion chamber is optimized for direct injection, so I can't imagine it'd be a good idea to try to get rid of that...
Old 06-26-2018, 02:14 PM
RickHoppe
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FURBY LOC"S
So currently trying to build a 1000+ whp car c7 z06 and trying to get inputs of what you guys think is a best relaible option for 1000+whp fuel system
tunner is thinkinng on using acm prospeed ecu ,dual pumps, injectors, etc but using the port injection as primary fuel system instead of the factory fuel sytem what you guys think? Or what have you guys done?
The ZR1 uses the same direct port injection setup as the Z06 but adds port injection to get the extra horsepower.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:28 PM
FURBY LOC"S
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

that's what I was kinda thinking
Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I have seen a couple port injection systems out there and they came out before GM created the LT5. I think they are secondary rather than primary. Here is one for example.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...di-limits.html
Old 06-26-2018, 08:13 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
The combustion chamber is optimized for direct injection, so I can't imagine it'd be a good idea to try to get rid of that...
What Jeff said. port injection is normally installed as a secondary system on these cars.
On mine under normal driving conditions it only runs on the DI system.

Once I get into boost or a certain RPM under load the port injection kicks in to help out the DI system.
Same thing when I run Ethanol, the DI system needs help as you open the throttle up and require more volume.
I personally would not set my car up the way your are describing. It would require twice the tuning time I would imagine because you are trying to replace what's already working with something else.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:35 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Katech just came out with a fuel pump that can support your 1000 hp motor without secondary port injection. Hopefully @katechJason will give me a finders fee

Last edited by spinkick; 06-26-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:39 AM
Poppacapp
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Katech just came out with a fuel pump that can support your 1000 hp motor without secondary port injection. Hopefully @katechJason will give me a finders fee
I saw that. Pricing seems way out of bounds and on the verge of gouging though.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Darkknightz07
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
I saw that. Pricing seems way out of bounds and on the verge of gouging though.
It's similar in pricing to the better port injection systems I have seen. I am planning on upgrading my OEM pump and injectors soon to support a 2.9 Whipple. Now that Katech just released this I am going to have to do more homework and possibly stop by there to check it out.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkknightz07
It's similar in pricing to the better port injection systems I have seen. I am planning on upgrading my OEM pump and injectors soon to support a 2.9 Whipple. Now that Katech just released this I am going to have to do more homework and possibly stop by there to check it out.
Yes.. similar pricing. I am sure they could be cheaper though. Similar to the rear spindle fiasco. Initial vendor offered at huge price.. anither option hits and all of the sudden they are now half price. You think they are losing money now? Nope...
Old 06-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Darkknightz07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Yes.. similar pricing. I am sure they could be cheaper though. Similar to the rear spindle fiasco. Initial vendor offered at huge price.. anither option hits and all of the sudden they are now half price. You think they are losing money now? Nope...
Agreed. It is definitely a huge price to pay, especially considering you'll need bigger injectors to support that amount of fuel flow. My only point was if leaving the OEM pump alone and adding this standalone pump and replacing the injectors is more reliable and supports 2k hp versus keeping OEM pump and adding a port injection system I would probably go with this DI kit. We will see where pricing goes, but I am still leaning towards a lingenfelter pump and injectors (as long as I see satisfactory results with a 2.9 blower).
Old 06-28-2018, 04:27 PM
"BoneStock"
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. It is definitely a huge price to pay, especially considering you'll need bigger injectors to support that amount of fuel flow. My only point was if leaving the OEM pump alone and adding this standalone pump and replacing the injectors is more reliable and supports 2k hp versus keeping OEM pump and adding a port injection system I would probably go with this DI kit. We will see where pricing goes, but I am still leaning towards a lingenfelter pump and injectors (as long as I see satisfactory results with a 2.9 blower).
Im doing a whipple 2.9 with weapon x spi kit. I think the katech stuff is over 8k in parts where the spi kit is 5k.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:14 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I think we michigan guys may be a bit biased haha
Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Darkknightz07
Advanced

Originally Posted by spinkick
I think we michigan guys may be a bit biased haha
Biased for sure. I ended up ordering the Katech Xtreme DI kit (2800 PSI)... Planning on testing the stock blower on 100% E85 no meth and then eventually swapping on the Whipple. Will get back to you with results!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:43 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

There is a reason GM went with SECONDARY port injection on the ZR1. Keep in mind leaving your stock DI alone keeps the car working efficiently, easier to tune, and reliable. The secondary port injection ONLY kicks in including the low side auxiliary system only when boost > (x) PSI. Meaning the car drives just like stock around town, then the secondary fuel system + port injection kicks in ONLY when needed. That sounds perfect in my opinion. If stock fuel system parts need replacing, you replace with factory ones, not very $$ upgraded ones. 30% DI injectors aren't cheap. Neither is a larger DI high side pump. Leave those alone, get a low side system (I got a WeaponX it's very high quality and good for 1500 wheel), you already have the ProSpeed ACM sold you (much cheaper than new I might add with boost control, etc), get some FIC 1000cc injectors ($800), manifold w/ bungs, then get it tuned. You will come out much cheaper going that route and can fuel more than what you ever ask for. Port Injection the sky's the limit, go with a larger FIC injectors = more HP. You, however, will be limited with 30% larger DI injectors and a larger DI high side pump. Not to mention to make that work you need a larger fuel lobe on cam that's not cheap either...

Last edited by C5-VERT; 07-19-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Port injection as primary fuel sorce or secondary?

Quick Reply: Port injection as primary fuel sorce or secondary?