C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in intake assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:57 PM
peacekeeper4
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil in intake assembly

Dont know if this has been covered before or not...I just put a new CAI on my 2014 Z51 and when I disassembled the stock air cleaner intake, there was quite a bit of oil in the plenum and the 2 plastic pieces leading to the air filter. Is this normal?
In my 13 Mustang GT, I had a catch can...do we need one in the C7 as well?
Old 07-06-2018, 10:19 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Catch cans start religious wars here. Long and short: Some guys say you need them, some say the system is designed to burn the oil.

Me? I want my motor burning only air and fuel, no oil. I am putting a tracy lewis can on.
The following users liked this post:
peacekeeper4 (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:28 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Get a catchcan. period...
Old 07-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Motors5
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

...or buy parts for the 2017 model which has a different routing of the crank case ventilation hose. It goes to the dry sump oil tank and uses it as a catch can, brilliant! See the line in front of the engine over the intake manifold in pic from my 2017 Z51.

//Motors5
Old 07-07-2018, 01:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by peacekeeper4
Dont know if this has been covered before or not...I just put a new CAI on my 2014 Z51 and when I disassembled the stock air cleaner intake, there was quite a bit of oil in the plenum and the 2 plastic pieces leading to the air filter. Is this normal?
Originally Posted by spinkick
Catch cans start religious wars here. Long and short: Some guys say you need them, some say the system is designed to burn the oil.

Me? I want my motor burning only air and fuel, no oil. I am putting a tracy lewis can on.
Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Get a catchcan. period...
I'll surprise some on this forum but a "Catch Can," which I have, did NOT cause your problem!

My observation in ~5 years of many reports oil in the intake tube and drips on the garage floor in C7 dry sumps:

About 13 months after I got my early 2014 Z51 GM issued a bulletin that said essentially, silicon from curing seals in a new motor MAY mix with the oil and MAY deplete the antifoam agents that are in the oil IF the engine is operated at SUSTAINED high speed . That oil foam MAY enter the dry sump tank and "burp" with the air sucked from the pan that goes into the tank then exits though a hose to the air intake tube. That oil MAY run down to the air filter and drip on the ground. That is what started the "required change the first oil fill at 500 miles in dry sumps only."IMO that is NOT the major cause of the issue but in your case it's possibly the source.)

More likely it's overfilling the dry sump by an incompetent dealer tech! If that happens excess oil will come out of that same "burped air" hose that goes from the top on the dry sump tank to the air intake tube (actually it exits into the Helmholtz appendage on the tube.)

FWIW, I never changed my oil at 500 miles since as I noted that bulletin did not come out for 13 months after I got my September 2013 built 2014. However I also never overfilled my system as I have done every oil change in my 2014 Z51 and now my Grand Sport. Too many chances a mechanics helper working the oil change bay can: 1) crack my rocker panels by not properly using jack pads I supply, 2) not fully drian from the two drain plugs, 3) use the volume estimate from a table to fill and NOT check the oil level after as it takes time and is a PIA for a mechanic (it clearly says checking the level must be done in the 4 volume Service Manual and what I have always done fo ~60 years changing oil in wet and dry sumps) or 4) fill to quickly from a 55 gallon drum or whatever dexos approved oil blend the boss purchased from a low cost supplier and spill some causing an oil smell for several weeks after a change! (Note I have never smelled oil!)

FWIW when I added an aFe low restriction air intake system in late 2014 there was not a drop of oil in the tube or OEM filter I replaced.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:59 AM
WhiteRocket
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motors5
...or buy parts for the 2017 model which has a different routing of the crank case ventilation hose. It goes to the dry sump oil tank and uses it as a catch can, brilliant! See the line in front of the engine over the intake manifold in pic from my 2017 Z51.

//Motors5
So 17 and later Stingrays with dry sump have pcv routed to oil tank? I never noticed this. I just ordered a catch can yesterday, guess I'm sending back.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WhiteRocket

So 17 and later Stingrays with dry sump have pcv routed to oil tank? I never noticed this. I just ordered a catch can yesterday, guess I'm sending back.

Hmm, that is not true! No way to take crackcase "stuff" and just have it mix with the engine oil! Some blowby, oil mist created by a spinning crack etc is ingested and combusted as it has been since the PCV system was introduced with EPA pressure in the 1960's! Before that cars just used a "road draft tube" and dumped it on the ground!

Yep the later Vette dry sumps "reduce" the amount of oil I was collecting in my 2014 Z51. That was about 1 ounce/1000 miles and now about a 1/2 oz/1000 miles (I don't Track-if you do it's more.) I put the "one exit Elite can" I had on my 2014 on my Grand Sport. The Grand Sport has the same PCV crackcase outlet and intake manifold inlet with a PCV valve! Connected the same way! There are some new lines that "help" reduce the amount ingested and some burned, some baked on the hot intake valves!

First, there is no way you can make your 2014 Z51 old system like the new one. Many lines and baffles inside the engine not easily defined or accessed.

Second, for those with a new dry sump, since the amount collected is less there is less of a need! But GM has not developed any magic solution! Well on the ZR1 they have incorporated port injection as well as DI and when it activates (primarily for increased power) it will wash some of the PCV "stuff" away before it can bake on the hot intake valve! Toyota and some others have engines that do that! The best of both worlds.

I spent time define all the new lines and have identified what most do before I added the "can" to the Grand Sport.

Below, pic of Grand Sport PCV hose that is the same as that on a 2014 dry sump. Stuff sill goes from crackcase to intake manifold -just less! If you want help deciding if you want one here is a 19 page PDF I made: http://netwelding.com/Catch_Can.pdf Your car your choice.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-07-2018 at 08:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
peacekeeper4 (07-07-2018), WhiteRocket (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:32 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteRocket

I dont think the dirty side gets routed back to the tank; that would be crazy. You'd have all kinds of nasty stuff in your dry sump, water, unspent fuel, etc.

The vast majority of this stuff doesnt come from the clean side

Last edited by spinkick; 07-07-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:46 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Again... catchcan...
Old 07-07-2018, 11:55 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by peacekeeper4
In the early motor in the c7 the cyc walls was not true & more than a few had oil blow by really bad more so if you are hard on the motor. Then even more so if a blower or NOS was on the car. If you have it I would 100% get a catch can from MMS vendor in here his works really good.

If you still have the stuff off the car pull the intake off & look down into the valves & into the intake, you dont have to pull the inj are nothing on this car.. Robert
Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 AM
0Catchcans
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We offer systems designed just for the LT4 engine that offer full time evacuation, separate 95% plus of all of these compounds, (VS 15-30% for most all others, and anyone can perform the test themselves to verify this claim). We also retain a 100% emissions compliant (except Kalifornia) system so no fumes venting into your engine compartment. It corrects all of this without sacrificing engine life in doing so. We remove most all of these before they can settle and contaminate the engine oil as well.

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/289...jo3_328713.pdf

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/289...2aa_561674.pdf

We guarantee this will solve all of these issues, reduce intake valve coking by as much as 85%, slight increase in power and reduction in lap times by reducing knock retard, and also keeps your engine oil cleaner longer as we interrupt and remove most of the water, raw fuel, oil mist, acids, and abrasive particulate matter before it can settle and mix with the engine oil. Also, by pulling full time suction on the crankcase we prevent pressure from ever building in the first place.

That and we address both points of ingestion, the fresh and the foul sides of the factory PCV system.

www.RXCatchcans.com
Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Is it normal? Yes. Just like the shitty low/slow speed shifting of the A8. Is it right? No. What can you do?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Originally Posted by bigsapper
Is it normal? Yes. Just like the shitty low/slow speed shifting of the A8. Is it right? No. What can you do?
Oh my, you should have a proper tune on your A8... lets just say slow shifting doesn't enter the mind
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

How much oil do you pour in during an oil change? 10.3 quarts or 9.8 quarts?
Old 07-13-2018, 03:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
How much oil do you pour in during an oil change? 10.3 quarts or 9.8 quarts?
Didn't know if that was meant to be a generic question for all of us but!
Did all my oil changes in my September 2013 Z51 and now my Grand Sport.
1) I have the car level when I drain the oil.
2) all oil that can come out does.
3) I fill with 9 quarts and check the level. Usually add a 1/4 quart and that brings it half way in the hatched are-1/2 quart under Max. In fact I often will wait a day or so to let the new oil mix with the residual in the engine, dry sump tank and auxiliary dry sump tank. Makes it easier to see the level on the dip stick and I do it when I pull in so the oil is hotter than just running it for 10 minutes after the oil change.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-13-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:52 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerryU
Didn't know if that was meant to be a generic question for all of us but!
Did all my oil changes in my September 2013 Z51 and now my Grand Sport.
1) I have the car level when I drain the oil.
2) all oil that can come out does.
3) I fill with 9 quarts and check the level. Usually add a 1/4 quart and that brings it half way in the hatched are-1/2 quart under Max. In fact I often will wait a day or so to let the new oil mix with the residual in the engine, dry sump tank and auxiliary dry sump tank. Makes it easier to see the level on the dip stick and I do it when I pull in so the oil is hotter than just running it for 10 minutes after the oil change.
My question was directed to the OP as the 2014 Z51's with the dry sump spec'd 10.3 quarts of oil. When GM realized that the oil was being sucked back into the intake, they changed the spec to 9.8 quarts. The half quart reduction of oil was to prevent the problem. I believe that GM also changed the reservoir dip stick so that it showed full with 9.8 quarts of oil, instead of the original 10.3 quarts.

Very possible that the OP has been filling his reservoir with 10.3 quarts of oil, if he was following his owners manual, before the change was made by GM, thus reducing his fill to 9.8 quarts might solve his problem, instead of going with catch cans, etc.

That's why I asked, because the spec for the 2014's(which is what the OP has) was half a quart more oil than your 2015 and the later Corvettes with the Z52.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-16-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My question was directed to the OP as the 2014 Z51's with the dry sump spec'd 10.3 quarts of oil. When GM realized that the oil was being sucked back into the intake, they changed the spec to 9.8 quarts. The half quart reduction of oil was to prevent the problem. I believe that GM also changed the reservoir dip stick so that it showed full with 9.8 quarts of oil, instead of the original 10.3 quarts.

Very possible that the OP has been filling his reservoir with 10.3 quarts of oil, if he was following his owners manual, before the change was made by GM, thus reducing his fill to 9.8 quarts might solve his problem, instead of going with catch cans, etc.

That's why I asked, because the spec for the 2014's(which is what the OP has) was half a quart more oil than your 2015 and the later Corvettes with the Z52.
My “guess” is more like with no residual in a new engine there is no oil lin the rocker arms, cylinder head pockets, dry sump tank baffles, auxiliary dry sump tank baffles, oil pump, scavenge pump and hoses to and from those tanks. Perhaps the 10.3 was based on a dry new engine, but agree a 1/2 quart residual is high!

i recall on my first 2014 Z51 change doing what folks said was done in their C6 dry sumps, which was to “push-up” on the hoses from the pan to the dry sump tank to drain all oil. Can’t push very far in a C7, if fact really no movement. I did not get one more drop in my 2014.

I rely on the practice I was taught when I was ~13 and is clearly spelled out in the 4 volume Service Manual. Don’t use the oil volume estimate in a table (GM words not mine) check the level. Granted in a wet sump that defines the level below the spinning crack. However the C7 owner’s manual as well as other cars I’ve owned it states excess oil is as bad as too little. The C7 states if it’s over the Max mark have the excess removed!

PS: for fun have checked at 15 and 20 minutes after shutting the engine off. Little difference in dip stick reading so don’t think there is very much in 10 minutes. I did check the level when the engine was off for a few days. It was below the bottom of the dip stick, >5 quarts lowas that is the length of the dip stick below the Min level.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-16-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:26 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerryU

My “guess” is more like with no residual in a new engine there is no oil lin the rocker arms, cylinder head pockets, dry sump tank baffles, auxiliary dry sump tank baffles, oil pump, scavenge pump and hoses to and from those tanks. Perhaps the 10.3 was based on a dry new engine, but agree a 1/2 quart residual is high!

i recall on my first 2014 Z51 change doing what folks said was done in their C6 dry sumps, which was to “push-up” on the hoses from the pan to the dry sump tank to drain all oil. Can’t push very far in a C7, if fact really no movement. I did not get one more drop in my 2014.

I rely on the practice I was taught when I was ~13 and is clearly spelled out in the 4 volume Service Manual. Don’t use the oil volume estimate in a table (GM words not mine) check the level. Granted in a wet sump that defines the level below the spinning crack. However the C7 owner’s manual as well as other cars I’ve owned it states excess oil is as bad as too little. The C7 states if it’s over the Max mark have the excess removed!

PS: for fun have checked at 15 and 20 minutes after shutting the engine off. Little difference in dip stick reading so don’t think there is very much in 10 minutes. I did check the level when the engine was off for a few days. It was below the bottom of the dip stick, >5 quarts lowas that is the length of the dip stick below the Min level.
NO. The original first printing of the 2014 owners manual spec'd 10.3 quarts of oil just as the owners manual for the newer c7's spec 9.8 quarts of oil. The 10.3 quarts was not for a first time fill up of oil in a never started engine.

It is not a "guess" that GM discovered that 10.3 quarts of oil was too much for the design of the PCV system, and thus they changed the spec to 9.8 quarts.

Maybe the OP should look at the owners manual that came with the car to see what it shows. The online Chevrolet PDF for the 2014 shows 9.8 quarts but that is for an owners manual that has had three revisions and is on it's third printing.

If the OP is over filling his engine, then the thing to do is not to overfill the engine, instead of adding a catch can.. Since the car is new to him, he would not know of the change that GM made in the owners manual, and could be overfilling his car with oil by half a quart.

There were some discussions in late 2013 and early 204 about the 10.3 quart capacity for the 2014 Z51. Do a search in the C7 tech section back for..... 10.3 quart …..and read the posts from late 2013 and early 2014. It is all explained for you.

Something similar happened with the C6 dry sump. The 2006 Z06 showed 8 quarts oil capacity. So did the 2007 and the 2008. By that time GM realized that 8 quarts was not enough as people were experiencing oil starvation I their Z06's. In mid 2008, GM did not make any revisions to the reservoir capacity but revised the owners manual to show a 8.5 quart capacity. When the 2009 Z06 and ZR1 was released in June 2008, GM had redesigned the reservoir to hold 10.5 quarts of oil. For the 2008 models(as I mentioned above), the first edition owners manual showed 8 quarts oil capacity and the second edition owners manual showed 8.5 quarts capacity.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-16-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
The original Owner's Manual had the 10.3 volume. My September 2013 built Z51 came with that 10.3 in the printed table BUT also an errata sheet that had it reduced to 9.8. So perhaps it was just a typo. It is hard to understand how they could make such an error!

To get my 2017 Grand Sport to the same 1/2 way in the hatched area as it did in my 2014 Z51 takes the same amount of oil after a change. Have charged it twice.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-16-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil in intake assembly

Quick Reply: Oil in intake assembly