C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct injection carbon deposits

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 09:04 PM
Johnpaulny
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Direct injection carbon deposits

I have been reading a lot about this problem with direct injection engines. Does anyone know if it is an issue with the LT1 engine or if there is any preventive maintenance to avoid it?
Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Lots of good reading in this thread. Make you own decision afterwards.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-this-out.html

Ant
The following users liked this post:
Johnpaulny (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Lots of good reading in this thread. Make you own decision afterwards.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-this-out.html

Ant
Johnpaulny (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 07:09 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

As long as you are still under warranty or have an extended warranty, don't worry about it and have a good sleep

Last edited by 911Hunter; 07-07-2018 at 07:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911Hunter:
Johnpaulny (07-07-2018), silverja (05-06-2019)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:58 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnpaulny
I have been reading a lot about this problem with direct injection engines. Does anyone know if it is an issue with the LT1 engine or if there is any preventive maintenance to avoid it?
i read a lot before I got my September 2013 built C7 Z51 bought months before the first production. Lots written about "coking" as it's called with DI engines from BMW, Ferrari etc. They had DI high performance engines well before the LT1. i also did something about the risk!
Here is a 19 page PDF pic/text re what my reseach showed: http://netwelding.com/Catch_Can.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 07-07-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

GM has been producing DI engines since 2007 with numbers in the millions. There is no big crowd of people making noise about valve coking with those engines. The big issue with the V6 was timing chain failures. Coking was basically non existent as a complaint. You can worry about it or not worry about it but I suspect GM knows how to build engines that aren't as susceptible to it. Some of those GM engines probably have well over 100K miles on them and still there isn't any news of valve coking. I asked the Corvette Mechanic at the dealership where I take my car for service and asked him if had heard of any valve coking issues with any GM engines (they sell and service the complete GM line) and he hadn't heard of any at their shop.

Bill
GOLD72 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Johnpaulny
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
GM has been producing DI engines since 2007 with numbers in the millions. There is no big crowd of people making noise about valve coking with those engines. The big issue with the V6 was timing chain failures. Coking was basically non existent as a complaint. You can worry about it or not worry about it but I suspect GM knows how to build engines that aren't as susceptible to it. Some of those GM engines probably have well over 100K miles on them and still there isn't any news of valve coking. I asked the Corvette Mechanic at the dealership where I take my car for service and asked him if had heard of any valve coking issues with any GM engines (they sell and service the complete GM line) and he hadn't heard of any at their shop.

Bill
Thanks. I'm thinking that's a very practical way to approach the issue. If there were many problems with the engines, which are also used in several other cars and SUVs, there would be some bad publicity about the engine.
911Hunter (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts

Techron every few 1000 miles
Old 07-10-2018, 10:41 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
Just as fancy vitamins make your urine more expensive, Techron makes your exhaust more expensive.

What do you think it's going to accomplish when it's injected AFTER the deposits? That's the whole point. With port injection the techron is sprayed on the back of the valve in the intake path so it does some good. With DFI, it's shot right at the top of the piston dome.
SECLT22021 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Just as fancy vitamins make your urine more expensive, Techron makes your exhaust more expensive.

What do you think it's going to accomplish when it's injected AFTER the deposits? That's the whole point. With port injection the techron is sprayed on the back of the valve in the intake path so it does some good. With DFI, it's shot right at the top of the piston dome.
^^This.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dfettero
Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

What do you think it's going to accomplish when it's injected AFTER the deposits? That's the whole point. With port injection the Techron is sprayed on the back of the valve in the intake path so it does some good. With DFI, it's shot right at the top of the piston dome.
I was adding the GM recommended gas additive every oil change as it outlined in the Owner's Manual. Now they changed the part number, don't list it and say buy at the dealer! The Owner's Manual says to use it IF you don't use Top Tier.

I use Top Tier ~half the time BUT Sam's Club non Top Tier the other half. Just checked the Net and Sam's 93 octane is $2.89/gallon and Shell, where I buy because it is the lowest and near buy is $3.44/gallon. It's typically ~$0.50/gallon cheaper. I checked the SDS sheets and the GM and Techron look to be the same, same bottle shape as well. Probably repackaged Techron!

I use it "mostly" to avoid sulfur deposits on the fuel sender! Never thought about it before BUT with the C7 to fix a fuel sender the whole rear drive train needs to be removed! Even when on warranty, don't want a dealer removing my rear drive-train! A forum member posted he was horrified when he saw his drive-train on the dealer's floor! Another said the dealer put in two bottles of the GM "gas additive" and his erratic fuel sender reading problem went away. Charged him $100. I recently posted that info when a member said his was acting up and he added a few bottles and all was fine!

Top Tier has nothing to do with sulfur content! It is an additive that can dissolve sulfur. Some crude oil has more than 3% sulfur that is mostly removed in processing. In fact both Techron and the GM product list keeping the sender sulfur free as a benefit. It also can help the injectors clean. Agreed with DI can't do anything for "coking" on the intake valves. .One bottle is cheaper that the 15 gallon difference in price between Shell and Same's Club! (Note we do not have a Costco which is Top Tier.) I plan on using a bottle between oil changes as well!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-10-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:43 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnpaulny
Don't know if it helps but I run Gumout direct injection cleaner or Seafoam DI cleaner about every 500-1000 miles. It seem to run stronger after when I run the 1/4 mile at the strip.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Just run c16
Old 07-11-2018, 09:54 AM
stab1991
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

With all the meth I’m spraying, curious how my valves look.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:37 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
With 100k miles on my previous 2010 CTS Wagon 3.6L direct injected V6, coking was never a problem that I ever experienced. Never a timing chain failure either and I used AMSOIL Signature Series 5W30 since the factory fill was replaced at 5k. I believe GM's design for direct injection has solved the problems other makes have had with valve coking.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Hmm, and what is their magic design?? I was collecting ~1 oz of oil/1000 miles in a catch can in my Z51 that would have gone past the hot intake valves. Some of that would have baked on those hot intake valves. How much have no idea BUT it's what Tadge said is "only cosmetic!" He didn't say it was miraculously better. This is a quote from his Forum post:

"Granted, deposit formation on SIDI engine intake valves is greater than what is seen with PFI engines, but the Gen 5 engines a.re typical for SIDI engines, and in fact better than other SIDI engines we have benchmarked, (Note: he did not say which he benchmarked) So the bottom line is that we believe the carbon build up is only an internal cosmetic issue, not anything that will affect customers over the life of their cars."

I agree it has not been reported to cause a significant performance issue. However like some Vette owner's are paranoid and OCD about fingerprints on their car, those of us who have assembled engines, like the CNC ported heads in the 502 cid Chevy crate engine in my Street Rod and heads on NASCAR engines at Richard Petty's shop etc, I would not say they "solved the problem."

Others, like Toyota have engines that use both Port Injection and DI. The ZR1 has the same, but activated when max power is needed. Would not be surprized if the C8 engine has both! That is what I would call "solving the issue!"

Granted have that same "Catch Can" on my Grand Sport and GM spent a lot of effort for that "no problem" coking issue and have reduced what I am collecting to ~1/2 once/1000 miles. Bet they did not spend that time and engineering effort on a newer dry sump design for a non-problem! I do appreciate what they have accomplished with a low cost system compared to issues with early BMW DI engines that required walnut shell blasting!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-11-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:58 PM
lancelot1
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

For what it’s worth, I just had a cam and heads package installed on my 2015 Z51 at 10,000 miles. The old intake valves and ports shown essentially no deposit at that mileage. I have an elite catch can and the total accumulation of liquid has been less than 6 ounces in 10,000 miles. My conclusion is that GM engineers have designed a pvc system that essentially makes deposits a non issue.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:09 PM
lancelot1
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Pics of my valves at 10,000 miles.
The following 4 users liked this post by lancelot1:
1ccrider (07-18-2018), Blue Curvette (12-03-2020), JerryU (07-11-2018), Patman (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lancelot1
For what it’s worth, I just had a cam and heads package installed on my 2015 Z51 at 10,000 miles. The old intake valves and ports shown essentially no deposit at that mileage. I have an elite catch can and the total accumulation of liquid has been less than 6 ounces in 10,000 miles. My conclusion is that GM engineers have designed a pvc system that essentially makes deposits a non issue.
Thanks for the Pics. I agree they did a good job but it's not a "none issue." If it was a "none issue" they would not have spent the time and engineering effort to improve the PCV system with lines going from the dry sump take to both valve covers another to the auxiliary dry sump tank and who knows what's inside the block. I collected about 10 oz in 10,000 miles in my 2014 Z51. Now collecting ~half that amount in my Grand Sport with the new PCV system. Although the short PCV hose and valve are in the same location in the Grand Sport as my 2014 Z51..

Now we need pics of someone who didn't have a can!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Direct injection carbon deposits

Quick Reply: Direct injection carbon deposits