C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No one on the internet has ever changed C7 A8 transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 05:00 PM
JocLean
4th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not a C7 Corvette ATF fluid / filter change video

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
Here's a great detailed video on a fluid change on the 8L90 (A8).
https://youtu.be/dPrP4NQZg6w
Hi BlueDevilZ51,
There is some good information in this video, but Corvette Forum participants deserve better.

This video is a significant reason why I posted my comments regarding my personal experience changing the fluid and filter (not a flush) on the Corvette 8L90 transmission. This video deals mostly with an ATF level check on the 8L90 (or similar) transmission. It contains errors (ATF level check temperatures are wrong) regarding the Corvette 8L90 ATF level check temperatures -- 86 to 122 degrees fahrenheit. It does not really cover the fluid / filter change.

This is an okay video, as far as it goes, but the DIY C7 Corvette weekend warrior needs better and more information than this in their tech arsenal.

JocLean
Old 04-04-2020, 09:36 AM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Default I know this is old, but I had it done yesterday.

Originally Posted by jackpilot
I've searched the entire internet!

I can't seem to find one write-up on a DIY transmission fluid change for the Corvette C7 A8 automatic transmission.

Anyone have a link?

Most appreciated!
Fluid- Mobile One LV ATF HP 24 quarts

Filter- AC DELCO- TF922 / GM #- 24274402

Gasket- 24260071

Mityvac- 7201

Fill fitting- DT-51190
And a large fluid collection pan for the drain.

The new procedure is still a triple flush. I considered doing it myself, but it was covered under powertrain warranty portion so it saved me about $350.
No it is not that hard at all. In fact, it's rather primitive in the way it's done.
So, we lift the car on a lift or on stands high enough to comfortably work on the car.
Remove the four bolts retaining the transmission mounts.
Lift the trans about 1" to 2" to gain access to the rear pan bolts.
Remove and drain the pan. At this point, don't worry about the gasket. It's irrelevant.
Put the pan back on and simply snug it up with the old gasket.
The thread pitch for the plug is an M6. I made a fill plug by drilling in the center and then added an adapter to allow the attachment of a 5/16 hose. The fill plug used is listed above if you prefer.
A 2 gallon Mity Mac or any type oil transfer pump is all we need.
Add 8 grts. Remove the fill tool or either plug the fill adapter. If you elect to install the plug, do it quickly. The only goal here is to keep the fluid in for a short time.
Start the car, be careful and run it through all 8 gears. Maybe a few times.
Stop the vehicle and once again, remove the pan and drain the fluid.
Put the pan back on. Install the fill adapter and add another 8 Qrts. Remove the fill tool or either plug the fill adapter. If you prefer, install the fill plug quickly.
Start the car, run it through all 8 gears again, maybe a few times.
Stop the vehicle and once again, remove the pan.
Now the gasket becomes relevant as does the new filter.
Remove the filter, clean the pan completely and install the new filter.
Now we install the new gasket. Install the pan and torque to spec. Don't overdo it. Torque to spec and it's not a lot at all.
Add 8 Qrts of fluid. Maybe a slight bit extra and then install the fill plug or leave the adapter in and cap it with a vacuum cap.
Start the car and run it through all 8 gears then bring the wheels to a stop.
Allow the Vehicle to heat the Transmission to 110f.
With the vehicle in park and running,
Remove the plug or adapter if you prefer to leave it in until the level is correct. Allow the excess fluid to drain. If none begins to drain, add some more until it does drain down to the correct level.
Install the fill plug, torque to spec, install the nuts back on the trans mount and torque to spec and you've just completed the Triple flush procedure the same as any dealership will do and the results will be exactly the same.
It's not that complicated at all. Most all of us have changed transmission fluid before. Just do it three times to get the fluid out of the Torque convertor.

The following 2 users liked this post by JWingo:
AmmoVet (04-17-2023), solotronics (05-11-2020)
Old 04-17-2023, 06:58 PM
1bigbulk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is what you want

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVfrgJ...ZWVkIDhsOTA%3D
Old 04-19-2023, 09:10 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 276 Posts

Most people are over thinking this.

For the DIY.

Just get a Mityvac to remove and add the ATF thru the FILL port.

Run engine, go thru the gears, repeat 3x.

Make sure the level is correct.

Basically this is the exact way the dealership will do it.

On a new or very low milage car no need to drop the pan and change the filter. On an older car drop the pan, clean or replace the filter.

Seems to be a lot of discussion and confusion on this subject lately.

I did it 4x on my 17 that had less than 2k miles. 2x Black label then then when it became available 2x Blue label, 24 quarts each time. Didn't bother dropping the pan either time due to such low mileage.

Even for an OLD DIY wrench it ain't hard.
The following users liked this post:
Donwuan (08-11-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 05:30 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default A6?

I've searched for the info on doing this for the A6 but didn't find much useful info. If the procedure for the A6 in the Z51 different enough to make note of? Thanks
Old 11-05-2023, 08:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by Yourconfused
I've searched for the info on doing this for the A6 but didn't find much useful info. If the procedure for the A6 in the Z51 different enough to make note of? Thanks
You don't need the triple flush for the A6 since it can use the old fluid. That fluid is hygroscopic and the A8 is more sensitive to moisture in the fluid which is why we have to get rid of as much of it as possible to the new fluid which is less hygroscopic.
Yourconfused (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 09:29 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
You don't need the triple flush for the A6 since it can use the old fluid. That fluid is hygroscopic and the A8 is more sensitive to moisture in the fluid which is why we have to get rid of as much of it as possible to the new fluid which is less hygroscopic.
Thanks, I'll just do a pan drop every couple oil changes then.

Last edited by Yourconfused; 11-06-2023 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by Yourconfused
Thanks, I'll just do a pan drop every couple oil changed then.
Not sure what the schedule is for that. I'd also check if they changed the fluid spec first
Yourconfused (11-06-2023)

Quick Reply: No one on the internet has ever changed C7 A8 transmission fluid