C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for C7 oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:39 PM
ktmmarty
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for C7 oil filters

What AC oil filters can I use on my Z51 dry sump engine?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:21 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

PF 64. Lots of other threads discussing aftermarket options....
The following 2 users liked this post by raylo:
Avanti (07-16-2018), JerryU (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by raylo

I know a Z06 with 120,000 miles and no motor issues; the AC filter is great enough.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:03 PM
ktmmarty
6th Gear

Originally Posted by raylo
What about the UPF48R AC oil filter for the C7 dry sump?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:45 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

^^^
Even though it’s a GM name. Why risk it for nothing!

As was posted, lots of Threads on he subject. With the new low pressure, variable volume oil pump on the C7 it requires a special bypass filter pressure/spring. Can’t be sure others have that and IMO makes no sense to risk it. Here is the logic: one of the car mags had and engine failure on a test C7. GM said it was due to a defective oil filter.

Now if you use and “Oh-So-Peachy”. oil filter because "you are much smarter than the GM engineers" and it fails causing an engine failure you could be SOL! Oh, I’m sure that filter company will replace the filter-but not your engine!

Now if it’s the filter GM recommends in the Owner’s Manual they will no doubt replace the engine. The probability of a failure is very low-BUT IT’S NOT ZERO!

Fun Related Story
When I had a C6, made a PDF of my first oil change. One of my Product Managers, and friend, also had a C6. He saw one pic from that oil change PDF I posted on the Forum. It showed the Fram filter I used! He said, (partly to bust chops) did you not see that Forum Thread about a Fram filter that failed in a Vette! I had not. On my next oil change I used an AC filter, replaced that pic and sent him the Link! What did he know anyway, he was a EEE (that's an EE with a Masters!)

Don't get me wrong, I think Fram and other filters are fine and for my Street Rod it's the only brand I can easily find a model short enough that fits between the 502 BB in my Street Rod and the Sanderson long tube headers! I recall doing a search to find that filter as when I called Sanderson for a recommendation, they had no idea!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-18-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:49 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Use OEM factory filter while original powertrain warranty in effect. Not just for C7 but for ALL cars.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by hope2
Use OEM factory filter while original powertrain warranty in effect. Not just for C7 but for ALL cars.

Or in my case, GM extended warranty that goes to about 95k miles.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:26 PM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

If you are seeking the ultimate in oil filtration, you'll want to use the Royal Purple 10-48 (manufactured by Champion Laboratories), and here's why:

1) The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects every consumer to use any oil filter of their choice, just so long as it meets the manufactures' specifications, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

2) The ACDelco PF64 is also manufactured by Champion Laboratories

3) And here's why Royal Purple is the ultimate:

1. Many oil filter elements' media is made from cellulose (paper), however all of the cellulose filter elements designed as compatible are in fact not equal. One major difference found between all brands, whether they use 100% cellulose or other filtering media is how many square inches of filtering media is used within the canister. This is significant because the larger filter element’s surface area allows for a higher GPM of flow with an increased capacity to trap contaminants compared with another cellulose element if made from the exact same media and provided all of the other filter system components were equal. The greater flow is a plus but the increased capacity isn’t extremely beneficial unless you plan to keep the filter in service for what I feel is an excessively large amount of miles for any cellulose filter (ex: 20,000 or even 12,000 miles), even if it is only subjected to a premium synthetic oil.

2. There are better oil filter media options than cellulose. After a lengthy conversation with an oil filter applications consultant at Champion Laboratories (the world’s largest supplier of filters and filtration products), I’ve learned that both the synthetic/cellulose blend and the 100% synthetic filter medias have these very important advantages over the traditional cellulose media:

• They filter out smaller contaminants, down to 10 micron (vs. 20 micron for cellulose). Tests prove that this will substantially reduce engine wear.
• Their ability to flow more GPM than cellulose with the same surface area.
• Provide a longer “in-engine wet service-life” rating (not just in terms of miles but also resistance to break down due to high heat and extended service time).

The Mobil 1 and K&N filters are mfg’d by Champion Labs, and both have identical internal construction and utilize the synthetic/cellulose blended media. For these top-of-line filters, Champion Labs utilize best of everything, e.g. strongest steel construction, best anti-drainback valves (when applicable), best bypass valves (when applicable), best gasket material, and the list goes on. The K&N has the nice differentiating feature of a hex nut formed in the bottom of the housing, for easy removal with a hand wrench.

3. Champion Laboratories says the very best oil filter is the one they manufacture for Royal Purple. This is due to the utilization of 100% synthetic media, not a synthetic/cellulose blend as the use in Mobil 1 and K&N.

• This filter uses 100% synthetic media for even greater flow, filtration, capacity and durability. Always use the model designed for your engine due to possible internal differences (by-pass valve). For the C7 Corvette, use Royal Purple part #10-48 (see: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/p...e-oil-filters/ ).
• Consider employing a filter magnet (see: http://www.shopfiltermag.com/choose-your-filtermag/ ) to capture steel particles as small as 2 micron; this will further reduce unnecessary engine wear. From their site: FilterMAG™ works by simply placing it onto the outside of the filter housing where the magnetic force automatically snaps it into place. The ultra strong magnetic force starts to work — forcibly trapping unwanted particles "locked" against the inside walls of your traditional filter.

I hope this helps!

Joe
The following users liked this post:
deagonkennels (07-25-2018)
Old 10-06-2019, 12:40 PM
AJRZ06
Intermediate

Hello copjsd:
I would prefer to use the Royal Purple 10-48 as I think the design and construction is superior, but have held off due to the bypass PSI of 11-17 PSI. What are your thoughts about this? The Magnuson-Moss will not protect because the bypass PSI of the Royal Purple 10-48 is not 22 PSI, thus does not meet the manufactures specifications, correct?
Old 10-06-2019, 12:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

^^^

See post #5 for my logic for using the recommended AC PF64 while the car is on warranty. In short a magazine test C7 failed in 2013. GM defined it as caused by an oil filter! The probability of any filter failing is very low. But if GM finds out your engine failed caused by their filter you’ll get a new engine. If whatever Oh-So-Peachy filter you think is better fails, that company will give you a new filter!

Having toured the huge Wix filter factore in SC they make many brands on the same line at speeds hard to believe. The labels change on the fly! Not all are the same inside but many are. GM supplies a great filter (with as you note with the right pressure relief.) IF you change oil as the OLM says the oil will be fine, IMO.

When warranty is over buy whatever “you think” is better. I’ll probably buy the least expensive (with the correct pressure release valve) as IMO they are all fine.

As you’ll see in post #5 I started using AC when one of my Product Managers who had a C6 saw a forum pic I made that showed a Fram filter I used for an oil change on my C6 Z51. (Note I do all my own changes including all required for my 2014 Z51 and Grand Sport.) He pointed out there was a forum report of a Fram filter failing! IMO all US made filters have a very low probability of failure but it’s NOT zero. I would not buy a filter made in China!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:34 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Old thread... but based on my research I went with the Wix WL10290 for my Z51.

In theory the filter should never go into by-pass unless it clogged or the oil is too thick to flow, however might as well use one with the correct PSI rating.

Get notified of new replies

To Options for C7 oil filters

Quick Reply: Options for C7 oil filters