C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Display/FOB issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:23 AM
40flier
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Display/FOB issues

I've had service twice on display issues, first was flash and replace module a year ago due to a blank screen at start, subsequently came on. Second was a month ago, both screens were our after a three hour trip, came back later, again another reprogram. Now the system won't recognize the FOB more than a foot away, even displaying a message to insert it into the column. Other GM cars works with the FOB in my pocket? Something new with programing?

16 base 7M
Old 08-16-2018, 12:21 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

First step is to replace fob batteries. They seem to only last about 3 years. Can't comment on display issues.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:14 PM
40flier
Pro

Originally Posted by RonC7
First step is to replace fob batteries. They seem to only last about 3 years. Can't comment on display issues.
Battery checked ok, replaced it, issues continue. I did try the second and it works correctly. Obviously this FOB is the issue, is this a common problem?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Bad "new" fob batteries seem to be fairly common. Maybe try another battery? Have not seen any threads related to bad fobs - except for one chewed up by a dog. All apparently resolved by a good battery.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 PM
40flier
Pro

I did try a new battery, seems the range has been diminished to the point I have to get close to unlock the door. My 3/36 expired two weeks ago...
Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

All I'm suggesting is that sometimes a new battery has been on the shelf for a while or is just plain defective. Test the battery with a volt meter, try another battery, or swap batteries between your fobs. I bought 12 brand name batteries online and a couple were dead. I change all fob batteries whenever one gives problems like decreased range. 4 cars / 9 fobs.

It has been suggested to avoid the brand with cross hatched back surface.

If it does turn out to be a bad fob they are available. At least you won't have to get a key laser cut. You'll need to delete all fobs from the car's memory so they can be assigned as #1 and #2. Just adding a 3rd fob makes it #3 which won't have seat memory functions.

Good luck.

Last edited by RonC7; 08-16-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-17-2018, 11:43 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RonC7
All I'm suggesting is that sometimes a new battery has been on the shelf for a while or is just plain defective. Test the battery with a volt meter, try another battery, or swap batteries between your fobs. I bought 12 brand name batteries online and a couple were dead. I change all fob batteries whenever one gives problems like decreased range. 4 cars / 9 fobs.

It has been suggested to avoid the brand with cross hatched back surface.

If it does turn out to be a bad fob they are available. At least you won't have to get a key laser cut. You'll need to delete all fobs from the car's memory so they can be assigned as #1 and #2. Just adding a 3rd fob makes it #3 which won't have seat memory functions.

Good luck.
Listen to this man, he is giving wise counsel. New batteries can be bad. Take the battery out of the FOB that works and put it in the FOB that doesn't work. If that allows the "bad" FOB to work, get some new batteries.

Elmer
Old 08-19-2018, 08:10 AM
40flier
Pro

Busy Woodward Dream Cruise last week.... New battery checked 3+ volts, gently cleaned contacts and and increased the tension.. back to normal operation. The display after 2 service visits initially took a couple seconds to appear, now back to normal. I was thinking this might be related. Thanks for the advice! and

Last edited by 40flier; 08-19-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Display/FOB issues

Quick Reply: Display/FOB issues