C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating C7 Grand Sport on track

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 10:48 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports

Speaking of... we delete that and run a cooler up here.
Theres a good idea. Are you running oil, or radiator coolant, or blower coolant through there? Looks to be radiator coolant, but wanted to doublecheck.

Does this work on a c7z without any clearance issues also?

I imagine if you had a shroud that went exactly up from that to the hood opening, you would really be doing some damage in lowering temps.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-29-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Theres a good idea. Are you running oil, or radiator coolant, or blower coolant through there? Looks to be radiator coolant, but wanted to doublecheck.
Engine oil, factory location by the exhaust manifold is trash.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Engine oil, factory location by the exhaust manifold is trash.
great minds think alike.

what are your thoughts about tying into the scavenger pump line back to the tank instead of that oil cooler brick fitting replacement 2 line fitting?

Also, what ballpark temp reductions are you seeing with this unit here alone?

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-28-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports

great minds think alike.

what are your thoughts about tying into the scavenger pump line back to the tank instead of that oil cooler brick fitting replacement 2 line fitting?

Also, what ballpark temp reductions are you seeing with this unit here alone?
Thats not an area where I would want to restrict flow. Difficult to say on reductions, I've only done this in conjunction with multiple cooling modifications.
Mikec7z (08-29-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:05 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Are you going to sell this as a kit? It looks like you trimmed the stock fan shroud. Can you use this cooler with the stock fan shroud. Let me know when the kit is finalized, I'll place an order!!

Speaking of... we delete that and run a cooler up here.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
Are you going to sell this as a kit? It looks like you trimmed the stock fan shroud. Can you use this cooler with the stock fan shroud. Let me know when the kit is finalized, I'll place an order!!
It's actually a variation of our oil cooler kit drop down on the C7Z06 track cooling package that we use on 16MY or later A8's with the Automatic transmission & 17MY or later M7 cars with the auxiliary radiator. The fan is an option with our C7 radiator, in our experience the factory shroud is too restrictive at higher speeds. Feel free to give me a call at the shop to go over some different options based on your application/set-up.

Thanks!

Dane
972-429-1963
The following 2 users liked this post by Dane@LGmotorsports:
911Hunter (09-09-2018), LagunaSecaZ06 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:51 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Eh sort of... Remember that while exhausting out the radiator is a good thing, manufacturers have to engineer for worst case scenario too. What if the customer drives in heavy snowfall, what about heavy rainfall, can I shoot a hose at the vents and hit something I shouldn't if I didn't have the duct, does it affect paint quality, on and on. The duct actually blocks quite a bit of air from the radiator.

I am going to test this with actual data on track in 3 weeks. 1 session with both parts of the duct and 1 session without.

Also, a random question I can't find the answer to. Does the radiator fan turn off past 35 mph if the car is above X degrees? I know it turns off under normal temps but does it come back on even while driving fast? If it doesn't come back on, then I am building up the courage to trim the excess plastic on the radiator fan shroud to help with flow at the track.

You're going to have serious around town cooling problems without that.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:53 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdburton32@msn.com
I have a C7 Grand Sport (automatic transmission) that has had overheating issues on hotter track days (probably high 80's-90's) at Dominion Raceway (VA) and Summit Point (WV).

Overall, I love the car, but I am really disappointed with the overheating issue (which I thought was just a Z06 issue). On my second 30 minute session at Dominion Raceway in June my car completely overheated, systems shut down (power steering..etc) and pretty much all the coolant overflowed. I know hardcore track guys usually go for the manual, but a Grand Sport automatic should be able to handle 4-5 track days a year. I think GM has a design flaw here because there are plenty of other cars on the track with automatics (Dodge Hellcasts, porsches...etc), with no overheating issue. So far, my dealership said this is a known issue, but there is not fix.

Has anyone made progress getting their Chevy dealership/GM to fix/address this overheating issue (which I think is ridiculous as the Grand Sport is marketed as a track car)? If not, any suggested solutions?

Thanks,

Brett
What year is your car and what fluids are overheating? Adding the +2017 radiator and running more water/less coolant can help a good bit.

I'm pretty surprised to hear this. I run my car ragged on the track and never had anything near concerning temps, but mine is a 2017 manual.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-06-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:15 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
You're going to have serious around town cooling problems without that.
The fan shroud? Yeah maybe. The rest has been off for a while and no problems in traffic.
Mikec7z (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
The fan shroud? Yeah maybe. The rest has been off for a while and no problems in traffic.
are you in a hot climate? i am, and i dont know if this is a good idea for me to do or not, so im genuinely asking.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:26 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

are you in a hot climate? i am, and i dont know if this is a good idea for me to do or not, so im genuinely asking.
Texas.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:35 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

I had exactly the same issue with my '14 Z51 while attending a local PCA HPDE event, my A6 transmission would overheat immefiately after a couple of laps it didn't matter if I was in Sport mode or paddle shifting, the transmission behaved greatly but it's stock cooling system is not at the same performance level. Shame on GM on selling us "track ready" sport models: Z51, Z06 & GS with automatic transmissions that aren't track ready, I can undestand that on a base Corvette but not on a track oriented sport versions. Even Civics were able to finish their laps but not my C7 Stingray, I was very embarrassed. Neither my prior 911 Carrera or my '11 Mustang GT (both) manual transmissions had an overheating issue, I was able to finish all my laps. The outside weather Temp was between just H 80-L 90 F at the time.
  • I read that '17 & later C7s received an upgrade to their coolers including to the transmission. Also I read that LG has good options like a bigger transmission cooler that probably I would try once that I'm out of my powertrain warranty.
  • For the moment I stopped going to the track and just enjoy spirited driving it, because these automatic C7 cars aren't track ready even beign a Z51.
  • Manual transmission C7s are more suited for this type of track use.

Last edited by 911Hunter; 09-27-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Bdburton32@msn.com
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks!

I have a C7 Grand Sport (automatic transmission) that has had overheating issues on hotter track days (probably high 80's-90's) at Dominion Raceway (VA) and Summit Point (WV).

Overall, I love the car, but I am really disappointed with the overheating issue (which I thought was just a Z06 issue). On my second 30 minute session at Dominion Raceway in June my car completely overheated, systems shut down (power steering..etc) and pretty much all the coolant overflowed. I know hardcore track guys usually go for the manual, but a Grand Sport automatic should be able to handle 4-5 track days a year. I think GM has a design flaw here because there are plenty of other cars on the track with automatics (Dodge Hellcasts, porsches...etc), with no overheating issue. So far, my dealership said this is a known issue, but there is not fix.

Has anyone made progress getting their Chevy dealership/GM to fix/address this overheating issue (which I think is ridiculous as the Grand Sport is marketed as a track car)? If not, any suggested solutions?

Thanks,

Brett
I appreciate everyone's input. I've come to the conclusion that (a) I will just use my A8 GS for spiritied driving and avoid the track and (b) GM failed miserably by not using a DCT on the GS and Z06. Not only is a DCT much more responsive, but this may have avoided some of the overhearing issues. A car is not track capable with a conventional automatic prone to overheating. Disappointed in the GM/Corevette brand.
911Hunter (09-12-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 07:13 PM
grandsport2017
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I appreciate everyone's input. I've come to the conclusion that (a) I will just use my A8 GS for spiritied driving and avoid the track and (b) GM failed miserably by not using a DCT on the GS and Z06. Not only is a DCT much more responsive, but this may have avoided some of the overhearing issues. A car is not track capable with a conventional automatic prone to overheating. Disappointed in the GM/Corevette brand.
I hate to see you give up on it. Have you had a competent Corvette mechanic take a look? (Try Luke at Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD.) I don't disagree that a DCT would be better, but I and many others with the A8 are not experiencing overheating issues. Maybe I missed it, but were/are you able to post PDR video and data? I'm curious to see whether there is a driving style that would cause overheating on my car.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:48 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Your car should not be overheating. If anything, only the transmission. Something else was wrong with the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrunoTheMellow:
Bdburton32@msn.com (09-09-2018), grandsport2017 (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Bdburton32@msn.com
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by grandsport2017
I hate to see you give up on it. Have you had a competent Corvette mechanic take a look? (Try Luke at Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD.) I don't disagree that a DCT would be better, but I and many others with the A8 are not experiencing overheating issues. Maybe I missed it, but were/are you able to post PDR video and data? I'm curious to see whether there is a driving style that would cause overheating on my car.
Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. Maybe I need to find a better mechanic. Also, I need to get better with the paddle shifters. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Bdburton32@msn.com
Heel & Toe

Now the darn car overheated (coolant steaming a bit, A/C shut off) with a little spirited driving with paddle shifters. I'm going to try another Chevy dealership to see if I can get better results.

Any idea if there is a good POC/engineer to resolves issues like this - I think my car may be defective if it can't handle a little spirited driving,

Get notified of new replies

To Overheating C7 Grand Sport on track

Old 09-15-2018, 04:58 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Now the darn car overheated (coolant steaming a bit, A/C shut off) with a little spirited driving with paddle shifters. I'm going to try another Chevy dealership to see if I can get better results.

Any idea if there is a good POC/engineer to resolves issues like this - I think my car may be defective if it can't handle a little spirited driving,
Thermostat issue?

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-15-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Bdburton32@msn.com (09-15-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

So that the C7 GS works perfectly on the racetrack we install
Left and right an additional cooler
In addition, the oil must be separated from the water.
The LT1 engine works best when the water reaches a maximum of 90-95° on the racetrack.
For that to be possible, you need at least 30% more cooling surface.

For your information, my 800HP Z06 runs in the race maximal with 92 °

Cölestin
Bdburton32@msn.com (09-25-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:24 PM
lv2jmp
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2017 GS A8 tracked at COTA and Cresson, in the summer (and winter and rain and dark ;-) -- ambient temps over 100F, no overheating. I paddle shift exclusively, and give it a proper cool down lap. Someone mentioned if going fast: I have consistent lap times of 2:35 at COTA; that's pretty fast. My problems have been with the AFM / mufflers burning out, but never gone into limp mode, never a problem with any type of driving (street or track). I suggest your car has a problem.

This 2017 GS is freakin' awesome and fun to drive, on the track and off. It handles well, and brakes like a champ. Actually, it chews through brake pads like they're paper. And it's pretty hard on tires. Or I'm just getting better. Don't give up on your GS A8; this is my 3rd Vette, second GS, and the C7 buries the C6 GS in every category. I love my C7 GS A8!

Quick Reply: Overheating C7 Grand Sport on track