C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing the effectiveness of a Catalytic Converter shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:05 PM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Testing the effectiveness of a Catalytic Converter shield

Hello folks,

Having read a number of posts regarding shielding the driver side cat, I purchased the DEI b/c it's not overly expensive, and can be easily removed. To my knowledge, none of the vendors publish numbers stating the temperature drop one can expect. Forum members have shared anecdotal data suggesting the oil temperature does not appear to drop--so I knew what I was getting into.

I used a FLIR 165 camera to read the temperature at the middle of the cat, shielded and unshielded sides. I think the 165 is well suited for this kind of test. For the shielded side, I used emissivity settings of .9 and .95, which seem reasonable given the type of material and texture. The unshielded side was more of a guess, as it's metal, but not polished, so I used .3, .4, .7, and .75. I did not capture any images this time.

I put the car up on the QuickJack, installed the shield, then started the car, letting it idle for 15 minutes. I then took measurements from approx two feet away. There is little difference between sides (240 degrees F +/10 degrees), when using the .3 or .4 coefficient for the unshielded side. Using .7 or .75, the unshielded side read cooler, so those measurements were thrown out. The temperature on the shielded side was basically the same at .9 or .95.

Are these shield wraps worth it? I don't know, but it seems reasonable to expect the shielded side to read a noticeably lower temperature, even after idling for 15 minutes. Perhaps the test is invalid b/c the cats did not get hot enough. Maybe my methods (coefficients) are wrong for one, or both materials. I'm sure the vendors monitor the forum, so perhaps they will weigh in with their own test results, and the methods used.

Curious what others think, and thanks for reading--
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (01-29-2019)
Old 09-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I asked a Ford Engineer I know to review that design. He said the cat shouldn't heat the oil due to radiation. The cat doesn't have a high emissivity and the cooler doesn't have a high emissivity/absorption.

Bill
Gonzo (01-29-2019)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:19 AM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I asked a Ford Engineer I know to review that design. He said the cat shouldn't heat the oil due to radiation. The cat doesn't have a high emissivity and the cooler doesn't have a high emissivity/absorption.

Bill
Thank you for commenting, this makes sense. I've presented the results to DEI and asked for their test methodology. Will follow up with a phone call.

Will keep folks posted. Worst case scenario, yank it off and get a refund.
The following 2 users liked this post by LivinTheDream:
Gonzo (01-29-2019), Harris (09-07-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:41 PM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Originally Posted by LivinTheDream
Thank you for commenting, this makes sense. I've presented the results to DEI and asked for their test methodology. Will follow up with a phone call.

Will keep folks posted. Worst case scenario, yank it off and get a refund.
UPDATE: DEI has not contacted me, which suggests they have no proof to offer. Shame on me--an engineer that knew better. Products like this must back their claims with data. Time for a refund!
Gonzo (01-29-2019)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Got to agree, I installed the DEI and did not notice any difference. Another feel good product.
Gonzo (01-29-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

I have to say I am disappointed in the results. I expected some benefit ......
Old 01-19-2019, 02:48 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

You should measure the temperature of the oil cooler, with and without the shield installed. Who cares about the temperature of the Cat?

Last edited by ersatz928; 01-19-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Gonzo (01-29-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
You should measure the temperature of the oil cooler, with and without the shield installed. Who cares about the temperature of the Cat?
Very true. Just use an IR gun pointed at the bottom of the cooler.

Problem is, the oil and water will keep the cooler at the same temp. Just circulating through the radiator more often.

Only way to truly test is at the track, which I did, and it showed zero tangible improvement. A feel good product. Worth a shot.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 01-21-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Gonzo (01-29-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 01:42 PM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
If the outside of the cat is cooler everything else around it should be.

In general wraps of this nature are useless. If they had a purposes you would see F1 teams wrapping their exhausts. Instead they use a dimpled metal sheet formed to a clam shell design where necessary. More robust and better at separating hot air from cold.
Gonzo (01-29-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I have a heat shield for the oil cooler if you're interested. It actually bolts to the cooler. I never installed it because I decided to remove the og cooler and install an external cooler. I agree with you on the converter shield I think the only thing they do is ruin the converters. I haven't used this shield so I can't tell you how well it works but if you're interested in trying it let me know.
Gonzo (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

what does it look like? is it for the specific oil cooler we have??
Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I have a heat shield for the oil cooler if you're interested. It actually bolts to the cooler. I never installed it because I decided to remove the og cooler and install an external cooler. I agree with you on the converter shield I think the only thing they do is ruin the converters. I haven't used this shield so I can't tell you how well it works but if you're interested in trying it let me know.
Why would it ruin the cat's ??

Do you think the heat shield for the oil cooler would help, or just prevent heat from radiating off of it??
Old 01-29-2019, 01:26 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by subieworx
If the outside of the cat is cooler everything else around it should be.

In general wraps of this nature are useless. If they had a purposes you would see F1 teams wrapping their exhausts. Instead they use a dimpled metal sheet formed to a clam shell design where necessary. More robust and better at separating hot air from cold.
Actually the opposite : Assuming the same heat being input to the cat (from the reaction with the exhaust), if the surface of the cat is cooler, that means it is radiating/transferring MORE heat to its external environment (the air, the oil cooler near it...…)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:36 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Why would it ruin the cat's ??

Do you think the heat shield for the oil cooler would help, or just prevent heat from radiating off of it??
I think it may trap too much heat in the converter and cause it to overheat. Several people with wrapped converters have had to have them replaced. The shield for the cooler has an air gap. I think it will keep any heat radiated from the cat from getting to the oil.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:55 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I think it may trap too much heat in the converter and cause it to overheat. Several people with wrapped converters have had to have them replaced. The shield for the cooler has an air gap. I think it will keep any heat radiated from the cat from getting to the oil.
I haven't had a problem in my 570 rwhp z51 with coolant temps up to 250+ °F several times. 100 °F ambient.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:20 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I haven't had a problem in my 570 rwhp z51 with coolant temps up to 250+ °F several times. 100 °F ambient.
The ones I heard about were z06.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 PM
Statoot
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Badhabit, I def would be interested in trying out that heat shield . I cant seem to find them anywhere. Everyone is pushing those DEI wraps, with no real positive results. I think they do more harm than good. Can you send me a pic and a number to cover it and postage @: statoot@hotmail.com. I have a 14 z51 manual trans. It has an elliptical, not square shaped cooler. I think the square ones came out in 15 or 16.Thanks C
Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Statoot
Hello Badhabit, I def would be interested in trying out that heat shield . I cant seem to find them anywhere. Everyone is pushing those DEI wraps, with no real positive results. I think they do more harm than good. Can you send me a pic and a number to cover it and postage @: statoot@hotmail.com. I have a 14 z51 manual trans. It has an elliptical, not square shaped cooler. I think the square ones came out in 15 or 16.Thanks C
I emailed you pictures and a quote. Thanks
Herman

Get notified of new replies

To Testing the effectiveness of a Catalytic Converter shield

Quick Reply: Testing the effectiveness of a Catalytic Converter shield