C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire wear and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:29 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Default Tire wear and alignment

After 28,000 miles, I found this last Friday morning. I have a new set of tires on the car now. I believe this to be a camber wear issue. Toe wears out the tire differently.

I want to set the alignment as flat as I can. I don't race the car and I have no need for camber to help me plant rubber on high speed turns. So, I'm open to comments on the numbers to use to flatten the footprint of my car.

I plan on:
Front Camber L = 0.1 R = 0.1
Front Caster L = 7.4 R = 7.4
Front Toe L = 0 R = 0

Rear Camber L = 0.1 R = 0.1
Rear Caster - -
Rear Toe L = 0 R = 0

Comments? Concerns? My alignment is scheduled for tomorrow so any responses need to be discussed, debated, and settled by today!

TIA,

Elmer
Old 09-11-2018, 09:32 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

You won't get those numbers on stock adjustment.

After 28000 miles on a set of tires I would be happy.

That can be wear from toe or camber. Toe will definitely shred the inside of tires exactly as shown. Many people on here don't understand the affects of dynamic toe change and how that can influence tire wear.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Even wear like that seems to say camber to me. Toe causes a scalloping pattern on the tires but I could be wrong. In any case, I'm looking for comments on my proposed alignment numbers. I want to beat 28,000!

Elmer
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Toe causes a scalloping pattern on the tires but I could be wrong.
Toe starts off wearing tires in that manner, but eventually progresses to cords as shown. Toe is a MUCH greater wear angle than camber.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

A combination of negative camber and toe out can cause the inside edge to wear much faster. Basically, with toe out you are taking the inside of the tire that has more pressure on it due to negative camber and pushing it forward at the same time thus adding more pressure on that edge. Toe in will move the pressure point due to toe toward the center of the tire as that portion of the tire is turned forward. The best thing to have is zero toe.

However, if you got 28K miles with your current alignment I would say maybe you shouldn't fix something that isn't broken although there is nothing to say the alignment didn't recently slip which means you need to at least have the alignment checked.

Bill
Old 09-11-2018, 11:42 AM
eboggs_jkvl

I concur. I am pleased with the mileage I got and actually replaced the OEMs with the same tire. I may have had the alignment knocked out with some of the big bumps I've been through as I drove through construction zones. I'll ask for the neutral alignment settings I listed and I really want to see the "before" more than anything. None of the other tires had ANY issues and were showing even wear. Heck, the warning bars weren't warning yet! I think I had really good tire wear.

Elmer
Old 09-12-2018, 02:00 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Looks like my toe got bounced out of alignment.

I asked for .-0.1 on all 4 and he almost nailed it. I can live with the toe.

My camber was actually pretty good except for the RR at -0.6

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Tire wear and alignment

Quick Reply: Tire wear and alignment