C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Z51 Electrical issue no one can fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:29 PM
5821driver
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2015 Z51 Electrical issue no one can fix?

I hope someone can help me here. I have a 2015, June build, coupe LOADED. Issue: When the car sits for maybe only a week in the garage, when I go to unlock using the FOB, nothing happens. I cannot open the trunk, doors etc. I have to use the manual key to open the trunk and then pull the lever on the left side to open the door. Once in, the car starts and runs fine. I even have the battery charger that came with the car hooked up but it only shows I/2 green I assume the battery is only half full of juice. I have brought it to two different dealerships in hopes they can tell me what the problem is but neither one can find any faults. There are no fault codes and the battery checks out fine each time. I believe it's got to be something in the electrical charging system.

I still continue to have the same problem each time I try to enter the car and yes, the batteries in both FOBs are fine. Can anyone relate to this problem and offer any suggestions as to what may be wrong? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:50 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Change the battery in your FOB.

Once you get in and the car starts, that means it's not the car battery.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...s-and-rke.html

There is a FOB not found table in the above thread. Go through it. You could have something else wrong besides the car and FOB battery. The decision table will help you determine whether or not your BCM is bad.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-12-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Battery protection charger is on for over a week and it's only half charged? Doesn't sound right, should be fully charged after that much time. May not be the root cause but still doesn't sound right.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:10 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

FOB batteries seem to last about 3 years. They are cheap and easy to change. Also need to test the "new" batteries since some sit around on the shelf for a while.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:30 PM
5821driver
Racer

Originally Posted by RonC7
FOB batteries seem to last about 3 years. They are cheap and easy to change. Also need to test the "new" batteries since some sit around on the shelf for a while.
It's NOT the FOB batteries as previously mentioned. It's something else I, Chevrolet, cannot put their finger on and it's driving me crazy.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:32 PM
5821driver
Racer

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Battery protection charger is on for over a week and it's only half charged? Doesn't sound right, should be fully charged after that much time. May not be the root cause but still doesn't sound right.
Remember, once I get into the car the engine starts fine. Problem is the FOB does not open anything!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:37 PM
rosros
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts

on a porsche 911, if the car sits for a few days you have to use the keys to unlock the door. the fob no longer works. its an anti-theft thing with porsche. maybe look into the anti theft as the z51 comes with an upgraded system
Old 09-12-2018, 07:05 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 5821driver
Remember, once I get into the car the engine starts fine. Problem is the FOB does not open anything!
If you did the steps in FOB not Found, I have a feeling that it would have pointed to the BCM as being bad, but that's if you followed the steps.

The BCM is the device that receives and transmits the radio signals between the car and the FOB. If the radio transmissions are what's having the issues, then the BCM is highly likely to be the culprit.

I believe there's 2 antennae also that could be in play. one in the door for when you are outside of the car and then one inside that covers you when you are sitting in the car seat. It might be the same antenna but the techs should know that crap.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-12-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:15 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

So if the car only sits for lets say a day or two, then the key FOB works? It only isn't working when the car sits for a prolonged period of time, like a week or more? Once you are in the car and you start and run it, will it work after that? If it is only not working under the very specific condition you mentioned, then like another poster mentioned, maybe it is an anti theft feature. You gave us very, very little information to work with .

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Z51 Electrical issue no one can fix?

Quick Reply: 2015 Z51 Electrical issue no one can fix?