C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Cooler Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 12:22 AM
SRS_Chris
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 Cooler Installation

We just wrapped up a front mounted transmission cooler installation at the shop today on a 2015 model. In a nutshell, here are some of the details...

Parts Used...
Derale 13740 cooler/fan combo
6AN lines to rear
6AN 90* hose end
6AN straight hose end
6AN 180* hose end
6AN 130* hose end
6AN thermal switch (mounted between cooler and hose), PermaCool 18899
2 - 6AN male to 3/8 hard line adapters
Heat shielding sleeve for lines
1 quart of trans fluid (Dexron HP or equivalent)

How We Did It...
1. Removed the front facia. This can be intimidating, but it is actually quite easy if you have a helper. Once all the screws are removed, give the facia a firm tug where it snaps into the retaining clips adjacent to the headlight assemblies. This is a good test of nerves to be sure.
2. Mounted the cooler in front of AC condenser on a leaned back (back at top) angle. The plastic enclosure between the AC condenser and grill was cut to allow the cooler to sit in place. The bottom flange on the cooler was bent and mounted to the plastic, while a simple bracket was made to mount the top to the bumper support. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I will try to post a pic soon.
3. Spliced into the cooler return line at rear. This is relatively easy to access. Cut the line and install the 2 - 6AN to 3/8 line adapters.
4. We removed the exhaust and heat shield below the torque tube and ran the lines in the torque tube tunnel. Lots of heat shield/sleeve was used on the lines. Be sure to budget for this.
5. The whole system (lines and cooler) required approximately 1 additional quart of oil to bring the fluid level back up to full. We used the AC Delco Dexron HP fluid.

How We Will Test It...
This is a car that sees frequent track days and Solo 1 style racing. Tomorrow we are off to the track to see if the transmission will stay cool enough to run a full session. In the past it has always entered limp mode (due to trans heat) before the session was complete. Stay tuned!

Last edited by SRS_Chris; 09-15-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:34 AM
SRS_Chris
Navigator

Originally Posted by SRS_Chris
We just wrapped up a front mounted transmission cooler installation at the shop today on a 2015 model. In a nutshell, here are some of the details...

Parts Used...
Derale 13740 cooler/fan combo
6AN lines to rear
6AN 90* hose end
6AN straight hose end
6AN 180* hose end
6AN 130* hose end
6AN thermal switch (mounted between cooler and hose)
2 - 6AN male to 3/8 hard line adapters
Heat shielding sleeve for lines
1 quart of trans fluid (Dexron HP or equivalent)

How We Did It...
1. Removed the front facia. This can be intimidating, but it is actually quite easy if you have a helper. Once all the screws are removed, give the facia a firm tug where it snaps into the retaining clips adjacent to the headlight assemblies. This is a good test of nerves to be sure.
2. Mounted the cooler in front of AC condenser on a leaned back (back at top) angle. The plastic enclosure between the AC condenser and grill was cut to allow the cooler to sit in place. The bottom flange on the cooler was bent and mounted to the plastic, while a simple bracket was made to mount the top to the bumper support. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I will try to post a pic soon.
3. Spliced into the cooler return line at rear. This is relatively easy to access. Cut the line and install the 2 - 6AN to 3/8 line adapters.
4. We removed the exhaust and heat shield below the torque tube and ran the lines in the torque tube tunnel. Lots of heat shield/sleeve was used on the lines. Be sure to budget for this.
5. The whole system (lines and cooler) required approximately 1 additional quart of oil to bring the fluid level back up to full. We used the AC Delco Dexron HP fluid.

How We Will Test It...
This is a car that sees frequent track days and Solo 1 style racing. Tomorrow we are off to the track to see if the transmission will stay cool enough to run a full session. In the past it has always entered limp mode (due to trans heat) before the session was complete. Stay tuned!

C7 transmission cooler
Old 09-15-2018, 12:12 PM
Fast6.3
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks real nice
Old 09-15-2018, 05:01 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Yeesh. Now it's going to overheat on Coolant/oil temps. Why not have it horizontal position. That's a known good setup. I don't see another cooler there.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-15-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

looking forward to your results.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:33 PM
SRS_Chris
Navigator

The cooler was a success! For the first time ever, the owner of this Z51 equipped Corvette was able to complete full sessions at the local track (Area 27 in Oliver, BC). No warning lights for trans temp, engine temp, or oil temp whatsoever. He stated that the trans temp "never got past half" on the gauge. I trust that he was pushing the car hard because this experienced driver was bragging about being able to stay in front of a GT3 Porsche for an entire session. I have requested maximum fluid temps during the session(s) for the transmission, coolant, and engine oil. I should have that information shortly.

Last edited by SRS_Chris; 09-18-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:39 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by SRS_Chris
The cooler was a success! For the first time ever, the owner of this Z51 equipped Corvette was able to complete full sessions at the local track (Area 27 in Oliver, BC). No warning lights for trans temp, engine temp, or oil temp whatsoever. He stated that the trans temp "never got past half" on the gauge. I trust that he was pushing the car hard because this experienced driver was bragging about being able to stay in front of a GT3 Porsche for an entire session. I have requested maximum fluid temps during the session(s) for the transmission, coolant, and engine oil. I should have that information shortly.
if he could datalog the temps that would be nice. I am pretty that while getting the A8 to work, this has now decrease effectiveness of the radiator.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

Also what was the weather the weather temp and humidity for the day?

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Cooler Installation

Quick Reply: A8 Cooler Installation