C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Use Powerstop Z26 Pads on Track

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:09 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Anyone Use Powerstop Z26 Pads on Track

I have search all over the C7 forums to see if anyone is using the Powerstop Z26 pads on a Z06 or GS. I just went most of the way through a set of Hawk Yellows in a fairly short amount of time with two track days. I am not a heavy braker on the track so that seems quick.

Thanks for your info...
Old 10-08-2018, 12:20 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

They are in no way shape or form track pads.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:30 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Well, no. Why would you think you could use them.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 AM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Well, no. Why would you think you could use them.
Why would I think I shouldn't? How are they worse for occasional track use than $400 pads that don't show significant different performance. I put this post up to gather information not to answer questions about why I asked my question.

The following users liked this post:
Mikark (02-14-2020)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:00 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by BradT
Why would I think I shouldn't? How are they worse for occasional track use than $400 pads that don't show significant different performance. I put this post up to gather information not to answer questions about why I asked my question.
Because under anything more than moderate braking over a sustained period of time (20-25 minutes) on the track, you'll fade them. They do not have the heat tolerance of a track pad, falling more than 500* short of something like an XP12. The fact that the C7 is a heavy car makes it even worse.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have search all over the C7 forums to see if anyone is using the Powerstop Z26 pads on a Z06 or GS. I just went most of the way through a set of Hawk Yellows in a fairly short amount of time with two track days. I am not a heavy braker on the track so that seems quick.

Thanks for your info...
The Z26s are not a pad that will hold up well under track usage. They are dust free ceramic street pads which typically aren't as good as the stock pads. Even though you may not be a heavy braker it is the number of times you use the brakes during a 20 to 25 minute session with minimal cooling between each application. The rotors and pads get hotter with each brake application and it is easy to push the brake compound past its max temperature rating. Powerstop doesn't provide any information on the temperature performance of its brake pads so you can't be sure those pads are good for anything but the street.

If you look at the Powerstop web page you will notice they do make a High Performance Track Day Pad. I don't know how well they would hold up but at $220 from Amazon to do all 4 wheels they are definitely cheap. Again they don't have any temperature performance info so you will be taking your chances.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/tr...Brake%20Rotors

I can't find any mention of Hawk Yellows on the Hawk web site and have no idea what type of pad they are. However, if you want a light track duty Hask pad for a GS/Z06 you are looking at a Hawk DTC 60 at a minimum. I wouldn't drop down to the HP+ pad as they overheat at 800 degrees F and it is really easy to push the pads over that temperature running a heavy car like the GS/Z06 at speed around a track.

If you meant EBC Yellow pads I haven't been particularly enamored with EBC products. If you want a good pad for the track and street you want something that can handle temps up to at least 1200 degrees.

You could also try the Ferodo 2500 series pads that are designed for street use but hold up reasonably well under light track usage. However, they create a fair amount of dust.

Bill
BradT (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 02:40 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Z26s are not a pad that will hold up well under track usage. They are dust free ceramic street pads which typically aren't as good as the stock pads. Even though you may not be a heavy braker it is the number of times you use the brakes during a 20 to 25 minute session with minimal cooling between each application. The rotors and pads get hotter with each brake application and it is easy to push the brake compound past its max temperature rating. Powerstop doesn't provide any information on the temperature performance of its brake pads so you can't be sure those pads are good for anything but the street.

If you look at the Powerstop web page you will notice they do make a High Performance Track Day Pad. I don't know how well they would hold up but at $220 from Amazon to do all 4 wheels they are definitely cheap. Again they don't have any temperature performance info so you will be taking your chances.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/tr...Brake%20Rotors

I can't find any mention of Hawk Yellows on the Hawk web site and have no idea what type of pad they are. However, if you want a light track duty Hask pad for a GS/Z06 you are looking at a Hawk DTC 60 at a minimum. I wouldn't drop down to the HP+ pad as they overheat at 800 degrees F and it is really easy to push the pads over that temperature running a heavy car like the GS/Z06 at speed around a track.

If you meant EBC Yellow pads I haven't been particularly enamored with EBC products. If you want a good pad for the track and street you want something that can handle temps up to at least 1200 degrees.

You could also try the Ferodo 2500 series pads that are designed for street use but hold up reasonably well under light track usage. However, they create a fair amount of dust.

Bill
Thanks Bill. The Hawks I am using now are performance ceramic that come in a black box with yellow lettering. I once heard them referred to as Hawk Yellows so maybe I picked up a bad name for them. I just finished a track day at COTA. It looks like I went through about half of the fronts and about a quarter of the rears. My rotors don't show any noticeable wear or cracks. I daily drive this car at times and will only do about 5-6 track days per year.

I want to find a good balance between street/track use, rotor wear, dust and noise. I don't want to buy new rotors every year and I don't need the best performing pads on the track. I appreciate you input as always.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Thanks Bill. The Hawks I am using now are performance ceramic that come in a black box with yellow lettering. I once heard them referred to as Hawk Yellows so maybe I picked up a bad name for them. I just finished a track day at COTA. It looks like I went through about half of the fronts and about a quarter of the rears. My rotors don't show any noticeable wear or cracks. I daily drive this car at times and will only do about 5-6 track days per year.

I want to find a good balance between street/track use, rotor wear, dust and noise. I don't want to buy new rotors every year and I don't need the best performing pads on the track. I appreciate you input as always.
Your search is like searching for the Holy Grail. It doesn't exist. The only brakes I have found that meet your performance requirements are the stock CCM brakes but the replacement cost is outstanding. When using the CCMs all you have to do is make sure your brake fluid is a fresh high temp fluid and go to the track after making sure the brakes and rotors are OK. Based on how you say you are using the brakes and how often you go to the track you could get 3 years out of a set of CCM rotors and maybe go through 2 sets of pads. However, the total replacement cost would be in the range of $3700 (2 sets of front pads and a pair of front rotors). Those kinds of dollars can pay for a lot of brake maintenance using other products.

Bill
Old 10-08-2018, 04:19 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

I would guess you used these pads - and they are generally not used on track.

However - the large size of the GS/Z06 brakes does mask that to some extent.

Hawk Performance Ceramic box

The best 'combo' pad we have ever used are the Ferodo DS2500 pads - but the compromise of noise/dust vs. performance is always borderline. That depends on your tolerance for unfriendly street performance and how hard you will run the car on track.

The idea of spending considerable time and money on brakes for track use is very often eye opening for newer track drivers.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:47 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

I want to find a good balance between street/track use, rotor wear, dust and noise..
As mentioned there is no such thing, there will always be a trade off. My experience in tracking my Nissan 350Z for several years (haven't gotten the C7 on track yet) is mixed use pads created too much dust. The noise level wasn't that bad but the real problem was pad wear - I would only get like 3 track days out of set. I ran EBC Yellows mostly but tried some Hawks which I hated. Given that experience I'm going to swap between dedicated street and separate track pads for the 'Vette. Having track specific pads basically forces you to inspect the pads, calipers and rotors more often... this is a good thing in my book.

BradT (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:19 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
I would guess you used these pads - and they are generally not used on track.

However - the large size of the GS/Z06 brakes does mask that to some extent.

Hawk Performance Ceramic box

The best 'combo' pad we have ever used are the Ferodo DS2500 pads - but the compromise of noise/dust vs. performance is always borderline. That depends on your tolerance for unfriendly street performance and how hard you will run the car on track.

The idea of spending considerable time and money on brakes for track use is very often eye opening for newer track drivers.
Thanks for the input and yes you have me pegged. I knew I would spend some money on the consumables like brakes I just don't want to overkill it when I am not looking for every tenth I can get on the track.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Stp94
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

As an example, my bro-in-law put a set of Powerstop Z26 pads on his new ZL1 to lessen brake dust. For some reason, he thought they were track “capable”. After 2 25 minute sessions with some above average driving this is the result. Luckily, we were able to salvage the rotors.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stp94:
BradT (10-09-2018), vetten76 (10-13-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 09:48 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Powerstop Track Day

Look at the Powerstop Track Day Pads.

Just ran Raybestos ST43 on my 2016 Stingray at VIR this weekend - Great pad
Lots of stopping power. On the street stop on a dime and give you change!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:18 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the input and yes you have me pegged. I knew I would spend some money on the consumables like brakes I just don't want to overkill it when I am not looking for every tenth I can get on the track.
The GS has big Brembo's and what would be considered aggressive street pads. They match the cars capabilities for most 'normal' usage. I'd even say a first day student could run them but to be prepared for the potential for fade. High temp brake fluid is a must.

The best advice I'll give is to not consider wear as the primary goal because it will happen no matter what you run. Select a pad that matches you and your car and realize that any trackable pad is at least partly unpleasant on the street. So get those tools out (or your wallet). Pad changes are easy and fun (lol)

Seeing as you did not blow up the Hawk Ceramics - you would likely be fine with a more moderate track pad. There are a couple of new choices out there at attractive prices to consider such as DBA and Powerstop. I've had more than a few users of both and I would classify them as mid-range but a bit fast wearing. Not sure how painful the dust is and on a newer car that matters.

The more known compounds are Carbotech's mid-range like XP10/XP8 which have a great reputation for not wrecking wheel and paint finish or the Raybestos ST-43. Both are mid range track friction that you would definitely like. You *might* street those but that depends on your tolerance for noise and dust which should be expected.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:12 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

KNSBrakes, ,Thanks for the info. Which Powerstops were you referring to? I have looked at your web site and appreciate how user friendly it is to find the pads that match my car and its options. It baffles me to go to some web sites and not be able to put in my car's options and have it narrow my choices down to the ones that specifically fit my car.

Last edited by BradT; 10-09-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:59 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the message Brad.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:36 AM
witness140
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just put the Z26 pads on my Z51. No way on earth I would take them on the track. When I bedded the Z26 pads it was the quickest I've ever achieved brake fade - and that was about 10 stops from 60mph-15mph at 0.8g. It's simply not a track pad, they will quickly get into a heat range where they will no longer be effective and other things will unfortunately have to stop the car for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Use Powerstop Z26 Pads on Track

Old 10-13-2018, 01:21 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by witness140
I just put the Z26 pads on my Z51. No way on earth I would take them on the track. When I bedded the Z26 pads it was the quickest I've ever achieved brake fade - and that was about 10 stops from 60mph-15mph at 0.8g. It's simply not a track pad, they will quickly get into a heat range where they will no longer be effective and other things will unfortunately have to stop the car for you.
Im installing the Z26 pads today. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll go back to the stock pads for track use, which for me is about once a year. I’ve not tracked my 19 GS yet. The stock pad dust is killer!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:28 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Noooooooooo!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:18 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Noooooooooo!

why not?