C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems getting my ride tuned after cam, piston and fuel system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:10 PM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Great troubleshooting in this thread. Jim, ditch the ebay headers and buy some real ones. ARH. Then your problems will go away

Ant
I was looking at the Texas Speed ones, are they any good?

In the meantime I'm going to run ceramic 45degree wires. I'll save the new headers for my first oil change time as it appears the oil lines have to be disconnected anyway.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:15 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms
I was looking at the Texas Speed ones, are they any good?

In the meantime I'm going to run ceramic 45degree wires. I'll save the new headers for my first oil change time as it appears the oil lines have to be disconnected anyway.
Texas Speed is made in China too. You want the best, get the best. ARH without question, all day, every day
Old 10-31-2018, 01:23 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Texas Speed is made in China too. You want the best, get the best. ARH without question, all day, every day
Wow thanks for the heads-up. I paid $300 for my China eBay headers - no way I'd want to pay $999 for the same Chinese sh*t! Only reason I was interested in them was because I had read in another forum thread that it was possible to install them without removing the oil lines.

Ceramic coated ARH's it is
Old 10-31-2018, 01:27 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Wow thanks for the heads-up. I paid $300 for my China eBay headers - no way I'd want to pay $999 for the same Chinese sh*t! Only reason I was interested in them was because I had read in another forum thread that it was possible to install them without removing the oil lines.

I had my dealer head tech buddy install mine, and they went on flawlessly. Havent had a single issue out of them so far and they sound amazing. I still use OEM wires without burning issues also.I'll see if I can find the pics I took when I unboxed them
Old 10-31-2018, 01:28 PM
jimxms
Pro

I had my dealer head tech buddy install mine, and they went on flawlessly. Havent had a single issue out of them so far and they sound amazing. I still use OEM wires without burning issues also.I'll see if I can find the pics I took when I unboxed them
I'm noticing that their mid-length ones seem to come in two parts (a bit like the OEM manifolds). If that is the case then I reckon they will be a breeze to install!
Old 10-31-2018, 01:30 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I'm noticing that their mid-length ones seem to come in two parts (a bit like the OEM manifolds). If that is the case then I reckon they will be a breeze to install!
middies are not the same as long tubes just in two pieces. You need the long tubes for sure. At your power level jump right to the 2” long tubes..
Old 10-31-2018, 01:32 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

These are the 2" set with high flow catted xpipe

Old 10-31-2018, 01:32 PM
jimxms
Pro

middies are not the same as long tubes just in two pieces. You need the long tubes for sure. At your power level jump right to the 2” long tubes..
I read that the 2" can be a real pain in the *** to install? If we're talking a loss of 10hp for easier installation, then I'm OK with that. If its a lot more then hmmm
Old 10-31-2018, 01:34 PM
jimxms
Pro

Very nice man! What power level you running with those?

These are the 2" set with high flow catted xpipe
Old 10-31-2018, 01:35 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

I read that the 2" can be a real pain in the *** to install? If we're talking a loss of 10hp for easier installation, then I'm OK with that. If its a lot more then hmmm
Jim, have I steered you wrong yet? Stay away from mids at your power level.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:39 PM
jimxms
Pro

Jim, have I steered you wrong yet? Stay away from mids at your power level.
You absolutely have not, and don't think I'm questioning your expertise for one second.

I am just at the point now where I am sick of everything being such a pain in the *** on this car! I have nobody to help me with installing stuff, there are no reputable garages to do it, and if I'm doing it myself I want it to be as trouble free as possible.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:41 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

full length is the ticket. Only reas9n I would run mid length is if you add them to the car and want to get by without needing to adjust the tune for warranty purposes
Old 10-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

my 2" fit great and went on flawlessly. With a built setup you definitely need them. My bolton GS also made more power than a comparable modded with same tuner 6gen with 1 7/8 on same dyno same day
Old 10-31-2018, 01:44 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Very nice man! What power level you running with those?
I am. GS A8 with boltons and oem ported heads. Made 508/514 with the heads and 489/499 without. Car has been 10.74@126.9 so far

Last edited by Poppacapp; 10-31-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:57 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

You absolutely have not, and don't think I'm questioning your expertise for one second.

I am just at the point now where I am sick of everything being such a pain in the *** on this car! I have nobody to help me with installing stuff, there are no reputable garages to do it, and if I'm doing it myself I want it to be as trouble free as possible.
Its all good man. But yes, full length as Poppa said is the ticket. I don’t have a dry sump, but I can do my own headers as long as the car is high enough off the ground to finese them out. Piece of cake!
Old 10-31-2018, 03:35 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I just made that mistake......

It took me drilling out the holes to get the flanges to line up and had to take the rear tubes going to the mufflers to a buddies muffler shop to get the offset bends right so it would even mount up. They had better back up the welds on this as well. Stay AWAY from them. I'm hoping to get at least a year out of them and then regardless of condition they are going in the trash.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

For a start, replace the wideband. I don't care how many miles it has.

I've found that a single wonky part can lead to exactly what you are experiencing. The issue then is which one(s). But, at the least, start with what's suspicious. All the best.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems getting my ride tuned after cam, piston and fuel system upgrade

Old 10-31-2018, 05:52 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Avanti
For a start, replace the wideband. I don't care how many miles it has.

I've found that a single wonky part can lead to exactly what you are experiencing. The issue then is which one(s). But, at the least, start with what's suspicious. All the best.
New dual sensor wideband is in my garage ready to install. Along with two new narrowbands as well, Brisk plugs, ACCEL ceramic spark plug wires and a new MAF. If it doesn't work sweet as a nut after this I'm buying an MP-12C and kicking the C7 to the kerb
Old 11-01-2018, 12:49 AM
Poppacapp
Racer

New dual sensor wideband is in my garage ready to install. Along with two new narrowbands as well, Brisk plugs, ACCEL ceramic spark plug wires and a new MAF. If it doesn't work sweet as a nut after this I'm buying an MP-12C and kicking the C7 to the kerb
I would do that anyway lol! MP-12C is SWEET!
Old 11-01-2018, 06:11 PM
solotronics
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

... you may run into more interesting issues with a 12C

Quick Reply: Problems getting my ride tuned after cam, piston and fuel system upgrade