C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alky meth pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 12:15 PM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Alky meth pump replacement

Hello all. I'm running a single spray system, that's 2 years old. Yesterday, I noticed I no longer lave a green (or any) LED when I should. No leaks and tank is full. I know from reading here the pumps notoriously fail by the 2 year mark, but my car is a garage queen and I've gone through about 1 gallon of meth since install. Assuming it's the pump, can someone point me towards how to change it? I've searched and not found anything on how to change the pump. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Done this a few times so here is my version.
  1. Chock the RR wheel, jack the left front up, remove the wheel and rest front x-member on jack stand. (Some may just turn the wheel to the left and try w/o removing wheel - I've never tried this.)
  2. Remove wheel well liner screws and push retainers from back half of liner and fold liner forwards out of the way so you can work inside the back section of the fender.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector for the pump and use a set of needle-nose pliers to pull the lower white ground wire out towards the front of the car (the upper white wire can stay connected as it comes out with the pump).
  4. Place a catch basin under the pump and loosen the supply side hose fitting facing the front of the car and allow meth to drain into the basin.
  5. Unscrew the mounting screw that holds the black mounting bracket to the car or remove the screws that attach the pump to the mounting bracket. (I added the Mighty Mouse bracket so I just remove the 2 screws that hold the pump to the bracket.)
  6. Move/rotate the pump toward the front of the car and remove the feed hose fitting from the pump.
  7. Reverse process to install.
I have found that several wraps of a quality pipe tape on the fittings is necessary to prevent leaks. It is an art to tightening the fittings just enough to prevent leaks and not crack the plastic pump head. Vibration of the car will eventually cause leaks. I minimize the possibility by adding the Mighty Mouse bracket, using hard foam to eliminate pump "sway" due to it's swinging motion (crappy mount design) and a strap around the feed the hose that puts it in vertical tension and helps prevent the fitting from backing out and leaking.

JMHO

Last edited by Patches; 11-07-2018 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ChiefP (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:35 PM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patches
Done this a few times so here is my version.
  1. Chock the RR wheel, jack the left front up, remove the wheel and rest front x-member on jack stand. (Some may just turn the wheel to the left and try w/o removing wheel - I've never tried this.)
  2. Remove wheel well liner screws and push retainers from back half of liner and fold liner forwards out of the way so you can work inside the back section of the fender.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector for the pump and use a set of needle-nose pliers to pull the lower white ground wire out towards the front of the car (the upper white wire can stay connected as it comes out with the pump).
  4. Place a catch basin under the pump and loosen the supply side hose fitting facing the front of the car and allow meth to drain into the basin.
  5. Unscrew the mounting screw that holds the black mounting bracket to the car or remove the screws that attach the pump to the mounting bracket. (I added the Mighty Mouse bracket so I just remove the 2 screws that hold the pump to the bracket.)
  6. Move/rotate the pump toward the front of the car and remove the feed hose fitting from the pump.
  7. Reverse process to install.
I have found that several wraps of a quality pipe tape on the fittings is necessary to prevent leaks. It is an art to tightening the fittings just enough to prevent leaks and not crack the plastic pump head. Vibration of the car will eventually cause leaks. I minimize the possibility by adding the Mighty Mouse bracket, using hard foam to eliminate pump "sway" due to it's swinging motion (crappy mount design) and a strap around the feed the hose that puts it in vertical tension and helps prevent the fitting from backing out and leaking.

JMHO
Thanks ALOT. So glad I just topped off the tank too lol.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:39 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Yes about a good two years is about the life of these pumps, Buy a new one send the old one off to get rebuild this way you have a spare if & when the other one goes out on you.. Robert
Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 PM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robert miller
Yes about a good two years is about the life of these pumps, Buy a new one send the old one off to get rebuild this way you have a spare if & when the other one goes out on you.. Robert
Roger that!

Get notified of new replies

To Alky meth pump replacement

Quick Reply: Alky meth pump replacement