C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding HUD

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:53 AM
jackfogelson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding HUD

Hi - I have a 2016 stingray with no HUD that I am restoring after an accident. The passenger air bag deployed, so I have to replace the dash, thank you chevy. Since I am going to this hassle I figured I would get a dash that accommodates HUD, and get a display as well. I have searched the forum and see nothing relevant. It appears that the data and power is on the loom with the C6.
Is the connector already there?
Is the mounting bracket already there?
Do I need a harness for the new switch for position, brightness etc?
If I need any harnesses, what are they?

Also, I found a used dash with HUD for $250 and he threw in the Hud For $50. The dealer wants like $800 for a replacement dash, so this is cheaper and cooler; if it will work. I am not scared of the amount of work, I enjoy this kind of stuff; so, no need to tell me its not worth it. Also I have to replace the dash in any case. I plan on testing with current windshield, if it sucks I will replace it.

Thanks for the help. jack

P.S. I already replaced the tub/rear floor, and hatch frame. New panels are being painted today. I hope to have the car back together by the weekend. I hope to have the dash rehabbed next week.

Last edited by jackfogelson; 11-13-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:23 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Before you go too far, HUD glass is different. Now its possible that ALL glass used in C7s is OK for it, but its possible that only cars with the HUD got the right kind of glass to reflect it back at you. Just a thought.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

He mentioned the glass already.
There is a thread here somewhere that chronicles someone doing the HUD swap in. I'm wondering if I could swap a couple parts to get the HUD opening in the dash that I could then use something like
Sherox 3.5" HUD Sherox 3.5" HUD

Last edited by DWillys; 11-13-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:55 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Before you go too far, HUD glass is different. Now its possible that ALL glass used in C7s is OK for it, but its possible that only cars with the HUD got the right kind of glass to reflect it back at you. Just a thought.
HUD glass as nothing to to with refraction of the image , the interlayer only focuses the image if it is projected on a curved part of the glass . If it did not have a HUD interlayer the image could look like a fun house mirror .
There is also no difference in the brightness of the image

Now if it was a C6 , no HUD interlayer was needed even though GM would use one in HUD cars . Many including me install HUD in a C6 and used a non HUD windshield because of where the image projects is very flat and does not produce any ghosting in the image .

I have not had the chance to experiment with a C7 to see how and where the image projects but there is a good possibility that you will not need the interlayer

here is a good explanation of what a HUD interlayer is and what it does
https://www.eastman.com/Brands/Safle...p-Display.aspx

Dave
The following users liked this post:
jackfogelson (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 PM
jackfogelson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know about the wiring? Mounting? I will replace windshield as necessary.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

HUD Install

Get notified of new replies

To Adding HUD

Quick Reply: Adding HUD