C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slicks and TPMS on C7

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Crzkoot
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Slicks and TPMS on C7

Anyone know if a c7 has to have tpms on slicks? If so will car run right during hpde events? Just started hpde this year. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Donatella
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Crzkoot
Anyone know if a c7 has to have tpms on slicks? If so will car run right during hpde events? Just started hpde this year. Thanks.
I would imagine so. I had tpms sensors fail in my C7 and it screwed up the ABS system. I'm pretty sure they work in conjunction with each other...
Old 11-18-2018, 02:45 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I run TMPS with my slicks. The cars systems are tied to tire pressure, including traction control. I really don’t know what would happen if they are missing. And even though I run all off, I suspect the car will behave better knowing tire pressure is ok.

Last edited by rb185afm; 11-18-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

When I first got my C7Z I used a set of wheels and Hoosiers that I had left over from my C6Z. Of course the C6Z TPMS won't work with the C7 system so I basically ran without sensors. Didn't have an issue. None of the BS that used to happen with the C6s where missing sensors would limit speed in turns to 55 mph.

I finally had some C7 sensors installed when I changed tires but really haven't noticed any difference between when the car has sensors and when it doesn't (other than I don't have to reset the warning message). Even with the C7 sensors it some times takes several HPDE sessions before the car starts to recognize the sensors in the track wheels Vs the sensors in the street wheels.

I can say having the sensors active has helped me two different times. Two separate times at VIR I picked up some metal in the left rear causing a rapid but not immediate air loss and the system alerted me in sufficient time that I could get the car to the pits.
Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-18-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Makitso
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

I saw this TPMS disable trick in this magazine article, it is at the bottom of the page
and labeled "The “Easter Egg” Mod" , haven't tried it, but sounds functional.

http://www.carsillustrated.com/secre...d-c7-corvette/
Old 11-18-2018, 07:45 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When I first got my C7Z I used a set of wheels and Hoosiers that I had left over from my C6Z. Of course the C6Z TPMS won't work with the C7 system so I basically ran without sensors. Didn't have an issue. None of the BS that used to happen with the C6s where missing sensors would limit speed in turns to 55 mph.

I finally had some C7 sensors installed when I changed tires but really haven't noticed any difference between when the car has sensors and when it doesn't (other than I don't have to reset the warning message). Even with the C7 sensors it some times takes several HPDE sessions before the car starts to recognize the sensors in the track wheels Vs the sensors in the street wheels.

I can say having the sensors active has helped me two different times. Two separate times at VIR I picked up some metal in the left rear causing a rapid but not immediate air loss and the system alerted me in sufficient time that I could get the car to the pits.
Bill
Bill I had the same think happen once at VIR same position. I was going into the upper esses and noticed the pressure dropping and slowed down. I felt it before I saw the pressure drop but I wasn't sure what it was. I ended up coasting through in the 80's instead of 120's. I wasn't 100% sure something was wrong but I always keep the tire pressures showing in the dic. On another note whatever it was that I ran over went through the liner behind the wheel, bounced back up to the top of the fender, and put two bulges/cracks in the top of the fender. The kent moore tool is less than 100 bucks and, for me anyway, well worth it.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 11-19-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Crzkoot
Our C6 track box that eliminates performance limitations due to absent TPMS sensors should work on a C7 as well. I just spoke with our manufacture about it last week but haven't had a chance to test yet. Let me know if you run into issue/world like to test it for us if I don't have a chance to verify compatibility in the meantime.

Thanks!

Dane
Old 11-19-2018, 10:57 AM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

My track wheels came with the wrong TPMS and I ran two events with no noticeable difference in performance. The tire inflation dash light was on and the digital tire readings read "--" for all four wheels. I just dismissed the warning and carried on. I have the correct TPMS installed now but I think it's a nice to have as opposed to a got to have thing. The car ran fantastic either way.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:01 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Good to know! Only thing I disagree with is time to read back and forth between TMPS. I swap wheels at the track. The new TMPS system only requires me to drive at 25 mph for a min or so. My car litterally will read the new sensor n a few min. I have done this a lot and it always cuts right over.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Crzkoot
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Everyone for your input. Bill I'm of the same mindset as you and knowing where your pressure is at is well worth it just in case a tire does start to run low.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:42 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rb185afm

Good to know! Only thing I disagree with is time to read back and forth between TMPS. I swap wheels at the track. The new TMPS system only requires me to drive at 25 mph for a min or so. My car litterally will read the new sensor n a few min. I have done this a lot and it always cuts right over.
You've been lucky with it switching over. I have three sets of factory wheels with factory TPMS sensors and sometimes it works fine and sometimes it takes a tool to make it work at all. I always swap brakes and wheels and road test it before heading to the track. I had it throw a code one time for the rear axle and the only thing I had done was switch tires. That's when I bought the tool.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:59 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
You've been lucky with it switching over. I have three sets of factory wheels with factory TPMS sensors and sometimes it works fine and sometimes it takes a tool to make it work at all. I always swap brakes and wheels and road test it before heading to the track. I had it throw a code one time for the rear axle and the only thing I had done was switch tires. That's when I bought the tool.
I have done it over 20 times back and forth and never had to use the tool. What year is your car?
Old 11-19-2018, 02:05 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

2015. I usually swap tires for each event but I have no idea how many times I've done it. I had to use the tool twice so since then I just go ahead and use it unless I forget

Get notified of new replies

To Slicks and TPMS on C7

Quick Reply: Slicks and TPMS on C7