C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra brake oil :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:23 PM
BSSlomovic
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra brake oil :(

Hi, I bought my Grandsport with 6000 km. Now, at 7000 km I needed to switch my front brake pads. I didn't check the brake oil before switching the pads; however, after putting in the new ones I noticed that the brake oil level is above the max line. Should I take some out or is it o.k. to leave it that high? The brake oil reservoir is very little and I am worried that when tracking the car and the fluid gets hot it might find it's way out through the cap. Thanks
Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSlomovic
Hi, I bought my Grandsport with 6000 km. Now, at 7000 km I needed to switch my front brake pads. I didn't check the brake oil before switching the pads; however, after putting in the new ones I noticed that the brake oil level is above the max line. Should I take some out or is it o.k. to leave it that high? The brake oil reservoir is very little and I am worried that when tracking the car and the fluid gets hot it might find it's way out through the cap. Thanks
Just suck a little out with a turkey baster. Better yet. Since you went through pads so fast, you need to bleed your calipers.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 11-21-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:56 PM
BSSlomovic
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Just suck a little out with a turkey baster. Better yet. Since you went through pads so fast, you need to bleed your calipers.
Thanks for the reply. Why would I need to bleed the calipers if I only changed the pads? I didn't "crack" the hydraulic system.

Last edited by BSSlomovic; 11-21-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:09 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

That is normal. The newer pads are thicker, and the caliber pistons is less extended, so there is less fluid in the brake lines. Take some out of the reservoir and bring the level to MAX mark.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:37 PM
BSSlomovic
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GoatHead
That is normal. The newer pads are thicker, and the caliber pistons is less extended, so there is less fluid in the brake lines. Take some out of the reservoir and bring the level to MAX mark.
If the reservoir was originally at the max mark when the car was new why after putting on new pads would the oil level be higher?
Old 11-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

If the reservoir was originally at the max mark when the car was new why after putting on new pads would the oil level be higher?
Maybe the previous owner or selling dealer checked the fluids and thought, "the fluid is low, I better add some". And now with new pads, it's overfilled.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:08 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Just, um, don't reuse the turkey baster to baste your turkey this year.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:40 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Because with spent pads, the pistons have to extend more, therefore you use more volume of liquid.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:07 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Because with spent pads, the pistons have to extend more, therefore you use more volume of liquid.
Or to put it another way - the new thicker pads pushed the brake pistons back INSIDE the caliper which forced the brake fluid (which is not oil) back into the reservoir.

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Maybe the previous owner or selling dealer checked the fluids and thought, "the fluid is low, I better add some". And now with new pads, it's overfilled.
This is the most likely explanation

A turkey baster works great for removing the excess fluid, just be careful as brake fluid eats thru paint so take extra care to not spill any!

I would bleed the brakes too, because over time brake fluid absorbs water which lowers its boiling point. This makes the fluid easier to cook which leads to air bubbles getting into the system and then you get brake fade. Its generally just considered good maintenance to bleed the brakes when switching pads.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:34 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Rather than a turkey baster that drips, go to Tractor Supply and get a 40cc syringe W/o the needles. You can remove the correct amount with no drips. They are on the order of 2-3 for a buck, so cheaper than a Walmart turkey baster. I keep several in my tool box and throw them away when done.

Also, best not to fill to the MAX at all. The system is a closed system, and if you heat up your brakes and fluid enough, you can pressurize the system can lock the brakes up. There have been several instances we've seen at the track where the owner (usually a NOOB) has the dealer do maintenance and the dealer fills to the max. Then after a session on the track, they come in with smokin' brakes.
I always fill just to the seam. That is plenty of fluid in the reservoir. Then as your pads wear add just a little bit.
The following users liked this post:
JMII (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:35 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

it's brake fluid... not oil

Last edited by w00tw00t; 11-22-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:36 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Maxpowers; 11-23-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

The max line is there for a reason. Why would you think it is OK to ignore it?

Get notified of new replies

To Extra brake oil :(

Quick Reply: Extra brake oil :(