C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ngauge install in cubby

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Vette_z07
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ngauge install in cubby

I am looking to install my ngauge in the cubby behind the radio. I also purchased a gauge mount for in there but I am unsure where to drill for the wires. All the searching I have done says you have to drill for the wires to pass through but no one clearly says where to drill with pictures etc. Anyone on here done this and can shed some light?
Old 11-28-2018, 02:13 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I think I chose the rear right lower corner to pass wires through for my intercooler tank temperature gauge.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Vette_z07
Instructor

Did you have to remove the dash and cubby or could you do it on the car?
Old 11-28-2018, 08:17 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

While it is probably possible to do with the radio installed, it is so much easier if you just take the time to remove the dash. None of it is all that complicated, just a handful of screws and then it prys off.

I just installed an A/F gauge in the cubby and I'm not sure I could have routed the wires behind the cubby without it removed, there is very little room.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:02 PM
Vette_z07
Instructor

Originally Posted by fleming23
While it is probably possible to do with the radio installed, it is so much easier if you just take the time to remove the dash. None of it is all that complicated, just a handful of screws and then it prys off.

I just installed an A/F gauge in the cubby and I'm not sure I could have routed the wires behind the cubby without it removed, there is very little room.
And guidance on where to drill for the wires to come through?
Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Vette_z07
And guidance on where to drill for the wires to come through?
I did bottom right corner, because that is where I put my gauge. The cubby is basically against a wall so I'm not sure any area is better than any other as far as feeding wires to your destination. If you are connecting to the OBD2, obviously the bottom left makes more sense (but blocks the USB), but I think you may still have some difficulty getting a plug fed to, or through the hole. When I put everything back together I tried to fish some of the extra wire back out of the hole I drilled and my wires were basically pinched in place and would not move.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Vette_z07
Instructor

I did bottom right corner, because that is where I put my gauge. The cubby is basically against a wall so I'm not sure any area is better than any other as far as feeding wires to your destination. If you are connecting to the OBD2, obviously the bottom left makes more sense (but blocks the USB), but I think you may still have some difficulty getting a plug fed to, or through the hole. When I put everything back together I tried to fish some of the extra wire back out of the hole I drilled and my wires were basically pinched in place and would not move.
Okay, I bought a cubby mount and it goes on the right side so I can maintain the USB, so anywhere in the bottom right corner then I guess. Just wasn't sure if at the very bottom or up an inch, in to the left a inch, etc.

Thanks to both of you for the replies!
Old 11-29-2018, 12:03 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

I agree plus in a part of the back stuff is back behind it. I put 3 diff gauges in plus my meth controller also in it. I pull my stuff out really don't see how it could be done without pulling it..Robert
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I did mine bottom left (2016 Z51). I didn't take it a part but I was real careful when I drilled it...I removed the drill bit from the hole saw. Was hard to get it started but ended up ok.
Guess it would be safer to take it apart but I was lazy

More pics in my album...https://www.corvetteforum.com/g/album/8611774

HTH,
Pj
Old 11-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Vette_z07
Instructor

Guess I will be removing the dash and radio then. Hopefully I don't break clips etc lol.

I will plan on wires going out the bottom right so it is behind the cubby mount as that is the side the mount goes.

I appreciate it guys and I looked at your pics, like your setup pj-c7
Old 11-29-2018, 08:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I was able to feel up around that area with my hand and could confirm that where I drilled (back, bottom, left) was clear. Everything worked fine except my radio doesn't work now.

Get notified of new replies

To Ngauge install in cubby

Quick Reply: Ngauge install in cubby