Corvette crash after loss of Traction Control - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Corvette crash after loss of Traction Control

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette crash after loss of Traction Control

Old 12-07-2018, 10:28 AM
ttx350z
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DerrickL View Post
...If my tires had no traction, there was a good chance people behind me didn't have traction afterwards...
Wet traction and hydroplane resistance are 2 separate things. You can have a compound thats grippy when wet, but if the tread or lack of tread pattern canít evacuate the water, itís still gonna hydroplane leaving you with no grip.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:40 PM
thrilled
CF Senior Member

Whenever I hit wet pavement I dial it to weather and get it home.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:20 AM
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,385 Times in 920 Posts

I've only had the back end get totally "light" on me once. I was driving on a 55mph freeway and it started to rain, and I had drag radials on the back. No traffic so I slowed to 40, thinking that slow would always be safe. But it rained a little harder and the rear tires hydroplaned.

That is a SPOOKY feeling that induced some major pucker.

Remember, at that point physics has won the argument, and there's not much that DSC can do unless the car comes around far enough to gain traction at the tires.

Hard to know why the light was on after. No airbag, right? I don't think the -car- considers a crash event to have happened unless there's an airbag deployment, so I don't think it was a reaction to that. Just guesses though!

Last edited by DAVE396LT1; 12-08-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Plstxmd
CF Member

Standing water and physics. Wide tire, hydroplanes, loss of control. Nothing to do w the systems, as there’s no longer contact of the tires w the road surface. Glad you are ok!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:04 AM
dork
CF Senior Member

Dunno why the OP was the 'victim' of an accident, but two things are apparent from the video...

Vehicle speed in the video was no less than 75mph; the length of the lines and the distance between them are standardized--anyone can gauge by approximation how fast that car was traveling in the film. (If you doubt me, clock the time it takes YOU to traverse the lines at 75mph in dry weather and then watch the video again.) Secondly, no car(s) were 'plowing' water ahead; the video shows plainly that the water in the lane is undisturbed, there's not even a semblance of a "damp" surface--the water is "standing" undispersed. (There's even a car ahead throwing water into the driver's lane.)

On the freeway during a rain, I do my best to trail someone who'll dissipate the water ahead of me some. These tires are 'way too wide to expect them to disperse water infallibly at posted speeds +5mph in a rain. No insult intended. At least no one got hurt. An 'expensive' lesson, but kudos to the OP for posting the video for all to see--despite the best manufacturer claims, even new winter tire treads will fail to disperse water/snow when pushed beyond their inherent limits. We take a lot for granted; I know I do, and I, too, learned the hard way (years ago).

Last edited by dork; 12-10-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM
TriPinTaZ
CF Senior Member

How was the tread on your rear tires? It's possible you hit a patch of oil or something too. Doesn't look like you were driving beyond the cars limits unless either your rear tires were worn out or you ran into oil on the road.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Marcho Polo
CF Senior Member

Former Moderator
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by DerrickL View Post
After I hit the wall, I noticed that my "Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Off Light" was lit (I did not recall it being lit before) This is the one that you have to hold down the button turn it off. Only this light was lit and not the Traction Control light.
If you did not notice the light before the impact, I would think perhaps the light was on due to the impact, maybe a sensor is damaged and ESC can't work now. Does the light stay on after turning the car off and back on again?

What Michelin tires were you driving on? The regular Pilot Sport or the Cup 2 tires? How many miles on them?

I recall hearing a Michelin spokesperson at an IMSA race in the Corvette Corral mention that the Pilot Sport are actually not bad in the wet, it's the temps that impact their performance.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Marcho Polo
CF Senior Member

Former Moderator
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

oh and another important question, did you have cruise control on when this happened?

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: