C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'19 Z06 Z07 track build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 02:19 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

i would think stage 0 rear is a bad idea as it makes lift. I think a stage 1 or 2 rear with a stage 3 front is the way to go personally.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:35 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

I'm using stage 3 with the bridge at the lowest position also. I came to this after 10 track days this spring, trying from stage 1 to stage 3. I should say that I have stage 3 installed, and maybe someday I'll use it to its fullest potential.
An example of how little we use it, here's Jade Buford running Sebring in 2:16. Met the owner of the car at the time, he said it had stage 1 aero, albeit with Z07 springs.

Although I think my car is faster in the straights with less aero, I still have plenty of speed. I'm faster at the end of the front straight than he is. Also, pulling 1.25 Gs in the turns I feel more comfortable with the aero on.

Last edited by fatsport; 05-27-2019 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added screenshots
The following users liked this post:
bbbvettes.com (05-27-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 09:05 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Unfortunately, our March 22nd track day was canceled. Looks like the first day that works will be April 6th : (

Anyhow, I just realized that the new track dashboard also shows the MAX of each bar during first switch to the display:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwTSdRZ36cw
320 (Oil), 260 (Coolant), 300 (Transmission), 80 (Oil pressure)
I assume the 320/260/300/80 are theoretical maximum values and the little bars toward the top are the warning levels. Anyone can confirm?
Old 05-28-2019, 09:25 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
I assume the 320/260/300/80 are theoretical maximum values and the little bars toward the top are the warning levels. Anyone can confirm?
Manual car goes into limp mode at 263 coolant. Oil only reads up to 302 according to gspeed so the 320 limit is useless unless later year cars were updated.

I don't know what the other temps and pressure sensors actually max at.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 05-28-2019 at 09:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrunoTheMellow:
bbbvettes.com (05-29-2019), range96 (05-28-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:57 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by fatsport
I'm using stage 3 with the bridge at the lowest position also. I came to this after 10 track days this spring, trying from stage 1 to stage 3. I should say that I have stage 3 installed, and maybe someday I'll use it to its fullest potential.
An example of how little we use it, here's Jade Buford running Sebring in 2:16. Met the owner of the car at the time, he said it had stage 1 aero, albeit with Z07 springs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W0Ib_-WrZY

Although I think my car is faster in the straights with less aero, I still have plenty of speed. I'm faster at the end of the front straight than he is. Also, pulling 1.25 Gs in the turns I feel more comfortable with the aero on.

Jade is a great driver and a good coach. He rode with me both days at the last Chin event that I attended and had some good tips for me. I feel more comfortable with the aero at VIR it really keeps the car planted in the upper esses.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

No doubt the aero helps in the esses.
Quote from Car and Driver when they ran the Z in the Lightning Lap: In the Z06 you enter at 134.8 mph,(esses) average 128.4 mph, and leave going 122.6 mph while cornering at 1.47 g’s.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:31 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Quote from Car and Driver when they ran the Z in the Lightning Lap: In the Z06 you enter at 134.8 mph,(esses) average 128.4 mph, and leave going 122.6 mph while cornering at 1.47 g’s.
Aero definitely helps, especially at 130mph, But having more imbalanced aero isn't necessarily a good thing. Adding a ton of rear grip on an already understeering car isn't really going to help much.

BTW: a lot of that grip is the Cup2
Old 05-29-2019, 02:43 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

You can enter at 140 and exit at 130 as well with cups and aero. I did it once and toned it down afterwards. I was trying to catch up to another car and almost ran out of talent.lol
The following 2 users liked this post by badhabit_wb:
Fagunza (05-30-2019), fatsport (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:05 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Alignment is just finished; I was able to hit -3 with the new lowered front!!
Results:
  • Camber/Caster/Toe (in degrees)
  • -3 / 7.9 / 0.00 Front
  • -2 / 0.8 / 0.05 Rear

The new non-Z07 brake booster is going in right now. I've decided to install the SS lines myself later, to see what the impact of the new brake booster is on the pedal by itself. I am expecting it to restore my soft pedal problem. If it does, I'm going to shout in the forums asking why no-one noticed this when they switched from CCB brakes to an iron setup : )

Last edited by X25; 05-29-2019 at 06:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
village idiot (05-29-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

From the other thread:
Originally Posted by X25
ISSUE SOLVED !!!! The brake booster for CCB cars indeed builds up pressure slower than other C7s with regular brakes!

Now my question is, how come all these people who switched from CCBs to other brakes/calipers (OEM Iron, AP, etc.) have never noticed this? It is somewhat harder to notice at the track, since we often stomp on the brakes too fast, but it is very obvious at the street.

Anyhow, now my brakes feel just like my Z51's with the same type of components (Z06 iron brakes).

I like grabby brakes with firm pedals, but looking from the other way, if you are upgrading to CCBs, and if they're too grabby and have too much initial bite for you, you could do the other way around and install the brake booster that comes with CCB brakes to soften it up.
I am still in shock that no one mentioned this anywhere else, including the vendors. Anyway, I still have the SS brake lines in hand. I'll install them as well, and see if they improve the brake feel even further. Finally, after a few more track days, I will also try out the Castrol SRF, and see if it makes any impact. Regardless, the brakes now feel pretty good as is; I'm very happy about that : )

Last edited by X25; 05-30-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:16 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
From the other thread:

I am still in shock that no one mentioned this anywhere else, including the vendors. Anyway, I still have the SS brake lines in hand. I'll install them as well, and see if they improve the brake feel even further. Finally, after a few more track days, I will also try out the Castrol SRF, and see if it makes any impact. Regardless, the brakes now feel pretty good as is; I'm very happy about that : )
I don't think this would have by just switching to iron rotors. Would it ?

This is so weird. It has to be the different rear caliper pistons as the fronts are identical area (just further out on the disc)

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 05-30-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by X25
From the other thread:

I'm also surprised of your findings. I wonder what makes it different with the booster, a larger vacuum diaphragm or just different valving internally, different linkage or a less restrictive vacuum orifice. Would love to hear someone experiencing with the stronger booster with CCB rotors. Was there an adjustment necessary on the brake pedal linkage during the booster installation?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:22 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I don't think this would have by just switching to iron rotors. Would it ?

This is so weird. It has to be the different rear caliper pistons as the fronts are identical area (just further out on the disc)
The initial bite with the CCB brakes is much higher. This change might be merely done to compensate for that. Well, you can always "Ask Tadge".

Originally Posted by range96
I'm also surprised of your findings. I wonder what makes it different with the booster, a larger vacuum diaphragm or just different valving internally, different linkage or a less restrictive vacuum orifice. Would love to hear someone experiencing with the stronger booster with CCB rotors. Was there an adjustment necessary on the brake pedal linkage during the booster installation?
Haven't tried it at the track, but it now builds up enough pressure with much less pedal movement at the street. With the other booster, it felt like I had a dead initial spot, where I felt that the brakes are engaging, but just not as strong as you'd like. Keep in mind, I have race pads (ST43) in there. It was predictably even worse with OEM pads.

To be honest, this even made me wonder if I could use RX8 brake booster on my NC Miata : p

Last edited by X25; 05-30-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:54 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by X25
The initial bite with the CCB brakes is much higher. This change might be merely done to compensate for that. Well, you can always "Ask Tadge".

Haven't tried it at the track, but it now builds up enough pressure with much less pedal movement at the street. With the other booster, it felt like I had a dead initial spot, where I felt that the brakes are engaging, but just not as strong as you'd like. Keep in mind, I have race pads (ST43) in there. It was predictably even worse with OEM pads.

To be honest, this even made me wonder if I could use RX8 brake booster on my NC Miata : p
I'm not planning to swap out the CCB to iron rotors.

I'm asking so I can accurately diagnose a soft pedal on my other car. (No visible external leak, no air in the system, no improvement after new master cylinder).
Old 05-31-2019, 12:52 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Since no one else has had this issue. Maybe there was something wrong with the original brake booster?
Old 05-31-2019, 01:28 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by djnice
Since no one else has had this issue. Maybe there was something wrong with the original brake booster?
Let's open up on that: do you know of anyone who's switched to OEM Z06 system from OEM CCBs? I don't know of anyone else myself. FYI, my brakes are stock Z06 iron system, including the lines.

Most forum members you see here move on to an aftermarket BBK system (AP Racing, etc) when they want to move on from CCBs, and all those kits come with SS braided brake lines and also possibly race pads. Now, when you switch to a system like that, how do you know how they should feel? Whatever they feel to you, you'd likely assume that's how they should feel.

In my case, I first started with a C7 Z51, upgraded its brake system to OEM Z06 iron brakes identical to what I currently have on this car, and had great experience with them. Once I did the very same switch on this car, since I was already experienced in the setup, I was able to see the difference, and knew it was not as good as it should be. Now that I've changed the booster, it feels EXACTLY same as my older Z51 car's brakes.

If you think about it, it makes sense. GM is not able to reduce the very high friction coefficient of the rotors and pads, since carbon brakes have naturally high friction. Instead, lowering the boost a bit to get it less touchy would make complete sense to me.

As a verdict, for those who switched to aftermarket BBKs from OEM CCBs, they can likely improve their brake feel and possibly feedback by switching to this booster : )

Last edited by X25; 05-31-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:27 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

RR tires will be mounted on my wheel set #2, tomorrow. The new front (R7) tires for my set #1 will be here on Tuesday. I intend to go to RMP on Wednesda with the RR tires, my new alignment, more rake, and better brakes; looking forward to seeing how it pans out! I will have the new R7s mounted up front later next week, and hoping to use them at ORP on the following Saturday. Busy week!

Toyo RRs 315/30/18, 345/30/19. The 345 size is new.

Last edited by X25; 05-31-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To '19 Z06 Z07 track build thread

Old 05-31-2019, 02:30 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by X25
GM is not able to reduce the very high friction coefficient of the rotors and pads, since carbon brakes have naturally high friction.
I believe your CCB booster feels mushy with iron rotors. The question is that is that caused by a stronger or weaker booster? CCB brakes are better to handle the heat, I don't think their friction coefficiency is better. The rotors look almost like mirrors when new.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:17 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Back when I supercharged it, I used a carbon clutch on my Miata to much increase the torque capacity. The unit was based on an OEM unit, and as such, had identical springs and pedal hardness. Even though it didn't have any stiffer pressure plate, though, the clamping was much higher, about doubling the torque rating for when it starts slipping.

Not to be confused with dust free carbon ceramic brake pads that are mated to iron rotors, carbon to carbon systems have always been significantly more grabby in my experience.

Last edited by X25; 05-31-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:53 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by X25
Back when I supercharged it, I used a carbon clutch on my Miata to much increase the torque capacity. The unit was based on an OEM unit, and as such, had identical springs and pedal hardness. Even though it didn't have any stiffer pressure plate, though, the clamping was much higher, about doubling the torque rating for when it starts slipping.

Not to be confused with dust free carbon ceramic brake pads that are mated to iron rotors, carbon to carbon systems have always been significantly more grabby in my experience.
That certainly would support a weaker CCB Booster scenario.

Perfectly clear on ceramic pads, I wouldn't use them.

Last edited by range96; 05-31-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: '19 Z06 Z07 track build thread