C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 GS Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 02:00 PM
yellow34cpe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 GS Brake Dust

I would like to look at 2-3 options for different manufactures of brake pads for street use?
The stock pads really has excessive dust!
Old 12-27-2018, 03:15 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-gs-pads.html

the part number may be different depending on whether you have a Z06, GS, Z51, Stingray. Whatever you decide just speak with dealer to insure you order the correct part.

Last edited by MMD; 12-27-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:56 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Lots of threads already on this subject, so do a search to get lots of opinions. I chose the Powerstop Z26 and they reduced the dust impressively without any noticeable performance loss in street use. They are not an option if you track the car, so be clear on that. Some report discolored rotors with the Z26 pads but like most I haven't had that problem.
The following users liked this post:
yellow34cpe (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

For a high quality low dust performance street pad I would recommend the Carbotech 1521 100% made in the USA. Non-corrosive dust will not harm your wheels or paint. You can order on line at http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ or call me at 216-780-8825. The part numbers you need are front CT1405 and rear CT1718 these will be listed under the C7 ZO6 section. Use promo code z28 at check out to receive your forum discount.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use. If you want
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 12-28-2018 at 09:34 AM.
yellow34cpe (12-28-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 09:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow34cpe
I would like to look at 2-3 options for different manufactures of brake pads for street use?
The stock pads really has excessive dust!
This may be more info than you want but discusses why I chose Carbotech 1521 pads and there superior performance. http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf
Old 12-31-2018, 05:47 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

+1 for the Z26 Powerstops. They are very low dust and very affordable. I have not seen any issue with rotor wear or discoloring. I can't see any real advantage to spending big dollars on street pads. Track pads are a completely different story but you don't need that.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:45 PM
STUARTF
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbotec 1521 not so Great!

I installed OEM factory Rotors on all 4 wheels of my 2014 Z51 Stingray along with Carbotech 1521 pads. After reading the post on the forum, mostly by the Carbotech rep, I thought they would be a great alternative to get rid of brake dust without sacrificing performance. They do reduce dust. However, they intermittently squeak horribly. It seems like after a couple days of normal driving they will squeak line a trash truck unless washed with a pressure washer. I called Carbotech and the lady answering said someone would call me back. That did not happen. Poor quality and poor customer service. I do not recommend!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:33 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by STUARTF
I installed OEM factory Rotors on all 4 wheels of my 2014 Z51 Stingray along with Carbotech 1521 pads. After reading the post on the forum, mostly by the Carbotech rep, I thought they would be a great alternative to get rid of brake dust without sacrificing performance. They do reduce dust. However, they intermittently squeak horribly. It seems like after a couple days of normal driving they will squeak line a trash truck unless washed with a pressure washer. I called Carbotech and the lady answering said someone would call me back. That did not happen. Poor quality and poor customer service. I do not recommend!
Don't squeal at all for me . 4 years so far. Back and forth with xp10s.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:40 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by STUARTF
did you apply brake grease to the pad late edges and to the plate at the point where the pistons contact the plates? Just a small smear on these surfaces and proper burnishing pads which take care of this. If you did not then redo the install.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:05 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

did you apply brake grease to the pad late edges and to the plate at the point where the pistons contact the plates? Just a small smear on these surfaces and proper burnishing pads which take care of this. If you did not then redo the install.

I used a Permatex Ceramic brake pad grease as noted, a small amount on the pad sides and some on the pad bad.

However I also bedded the pads using an old Carbotech procedure for 1521 street pads. I did that on my 2014 Z51 and did the same on my Grand Sport. The reason is the OEM Z51 pads after the 500 mile break-in, as suggested with no aggressive braking, at ~1000 miles "squealed like a stuck pig" on some slow speed stops. After bedding not a peep! Never had any noise on my 1521 pads. The 2014 was fine for 3 years before I sold it and the Grand Sport now ~2 years.

Adam who is a Carbotech forum vendor, said the old published procedure below was eliminated as a suggestion for the 1521 pads as some folks were using an aggressive bedding procedure outlined for the OEM pads for Tracking in the Owner's Manual, causing glazing.
(This is the procedure in the Owner's Manual outlined for new rotors using 25 stops from 60 to 30 mph with 1/2 mile between followed by up to 25 aggressive stops (0.8 "g") from 60 to 15 mph with a 1/2 mile between stops. Then a cool down by driving 10 miles at 60 mph and finally moderate braking from 60 to 30 mph with 1/2 mile between brake applications. Need a race track to have space to perform!)

The much less aggressive old published procedure for 1521 pads outlined below should be tried.

1. Brake fairly aggressively from 60mph to 30mph (not 15 mph.)
2. Repeat step # 1, five to six times.
3. Let your brakes cool for about 2-3 minutes while driving.
4. Allow the brake pads and discs to cool down to ambient temperature (driving about 30 minutes without stopping). (I pulled onto the Interstate after performing step 1 and 2 five times.)

NOTE: Proper bedding of pads & rotors will result in greater performance and longer pad & rotor wear.
Lots of info on brake pad bedding on the net (note the Owner's Manual calls it burnishing.) The objective is to get a thin layer of brake pad uniformly on the rotors in addition to conditioning the pads. A recent article said, especially for race type pads (like the OEM) you must apply the brakes aggressively periodically to maintain the uniform layer. If you don't it could build in areas and cause vibration and noise. Although that very thin layer is not visible it must removed when changing pads of a different compound. I used 60 grit pads and the removed OEM pad material on both sides of the rotors and it was very visible. An advantage of using Carbotech pads is they indicate the 1521 pads and all their race pads have compatible composition and can be swapped without cleaning the rotors.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-02-2019 at 07:09 AM.
yellow34cpe (01-04-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:58 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have also used the Hawk Performance Ceramic (yellow box) and had real good luck with those.
MMD (01-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 GS Brake Dust

Quick Reply: 2017 GS Brake Dust