C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS supercharger kit on C7 GS without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:29 AM
sz-zsombor
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECS supercharger kit on C7 GS without tune?

Possible to install an ECS 1500 kit and without post tune process? I live in Hungary, Europe and the experience is very poor about tuning a C7 (and generally all other USA cars too). I have a 2017 Grand Sport and I would like ~100 - max. 150 extra HP. Maybe an X-pipe + CAI can do ~30 - 40HP but as I see the supercharger is the most popular. The physically install is not a question, simple by my car mechanic. But I don't know anybody with experience in tuning a C7 Corvette (and generally any other USA cars). I know a few companies with dynos, so I will measure the result by them, but I'm worry it's not just a "plug & play" thing. But I hope yes
If the supercharger install is not so easy as I think then may I stay at the basic extras: X-pipe, CAI and that's all. Please help with some ideas for a new Vette member ;-) Thank you!!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

There is no way I would do it ..... when you add boost you need to add fuel and change timing etc ....

There are plenty of tuners that offer MAIL order tunes , you can start out with a basic Blower startup tune and then have them fine tune it

Talk to Doug at ECS as I am almost 100 % sure he offers the service

Dave
The following users liked this post:
sz-zsombor (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:02 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I would say not for one big reason: torque demand tables.

Let say at 4000rpm your motor made 400lb-ft of torque. Add a blower and now it makes 650lb-ft at 4000... guess what the computer will do? It will retard timing and even close the throttle blades to bring the torque back down to the "expected" 400. Not what you want at all. At least that's how I understand and have witnessed the LS7 controller, as one example, on the engine dyno myself.

So yes, you need a tune.

Last edited by davepl; 12-30-2018 at 11:03 AM.
sz-zsombor (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:56 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Nope. You can work with a tuner to get a custom tune, or you can get a base tune from the manufacturer.

The best option is to work with a tuner. It's a really easy process.

1. They will give you a base tune for after the install.
2. You will drive the car and log performance in different conditions...
3. The tuner will update the tune and you will load it...
4. Rinse and repeat until the car is exactly right.

I did my last build with Jannetty Racing and it was a great experience.
sz-zsombor (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 02:35 PM
sz-zsombor
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all your help!
It should be great I can do it online between me and a tuner in USA. Of corse not free, I'm looking for payed services. But I'm an ordinary people without any mechanic skill... So if I understand good then I simple download anything (a file? like a firmware from an electric equipment) and send it in e-mail to the tuner. He check it, adjust the datas then send the modified file back to me. I will upload it and enjoy the optimised performance, fuel consumption. Am I right?
Or I try a simple factory tune what I will get with the kit. As you mentioned.

So in order:
1. Order a kit from a webshop and ask about the basic tune file for my 17' C7 GS
2. Install by my car mechanic
3. Test the car with new SC kit and new basic tune.
4. If I notify any abnormal thing, or too big fuel consumption, less power than I expected...etc then I order a custom tune from a tuner who will offer online service.

Is this right?

In this case, can you recommend a tuner company with online tuning? OF CORSE THE BEST should be if I find an all in one place. Where I can buy the kit and after solve the tune online. Do you know one? (and send the stuff in Europe/Hungary by UPS, FEDEX or DHL)

And need any special tool for "download" the data from the car? Dumb questions I know...:-) sorry.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:41 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by sz-zsombor
Thanks for all your help!
It should be great I can do it online between me and a tuner in USA. Of corse not free, I'm looking for payed services. But I'm an ordinary people without any mechanic skill... So if I understand good then I simple download anything (a file? like a firmware from an electric equipment) and send it in e-mail to the tuner. He check it, adjust the datas then send the modified file back to me. I will upload it and enjoy the optimised performance, fuel consumption. Am I right?
Or I try a simple factory tune what I will get with the kit. As you mentioned.

So in order:
1. Order a kit from a webshop and ask about the basic tune file for my 17' C7 GS
2. Install by my car mechanic
3. Test the car with new SC kit and new basic tune.
4. If I notify any abnormal thing, or too big fuel consumption, less power than I expected...etc then I order a custom tune from a tuner who will offer online service.

Is this right?

In this case, can you recommend a tuner company with online tuning? OF CORSE THE BEST should be if I find an all in one place. Where I can buy the kit and after solve the tune online. Do you know one? (and send the stuff in Europe/Hungary by UPS, FEDEX or DHL)

And need any special tool for "download" the data from the car? Dumb questions I know...:-) sorry.
Not If you notice something abnormal. You'll actually use the device that the tune is in to datalog the car and send it back to the tuner. He can verify everything and made adjustments as needed.
sz-zsombor (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 05:54 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Not If you notice something abnormal. You'll actually use the device that the tune is in to datalog the car and send it back to the tuner. He can verify everything and made adjustments as needed.
Yep. I bought HP tuner software so the tuner and I simply emailed back and forth. I sent him the recorded log files and he sent me updated tune files.

If you order from Procharger or Magnuson, I believe they will provide a reasonable tune assuming the supercharger was the only performance mod.

Personally, I would recommend looking online for JRE Racing. Ted Jannetty is the owner. If you email them they can tell you exactly what needs to happen. (Tell him Russ told you to email). I am sure there are others here...just haven't been back in the Corvette world long enough yet.
sz-zsombor (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 12:52 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

SERIOUSLY? I don't care where you live... NO way! From the sound of your situation, I wouldn't mod it in any way that requires the electronics being tweaked. Just no way to "rough" it successfully. Either you'll blow it up and/or just end up with a big, heavy, expensive door-stop that doesn't run, at least not correctly if at all. Enjoy it like it is and all the BEST!!!
Old 12-31-2018, 03:01 AM
sz-zsombor
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hogurt
Yep. I bought HP tuner software so the tuner and I simply emailed back and forth. I sent him the recorded log files and he sent me updated tune files.

If you order from Procharger or Magnuson, I believe they will provide a reasonable tune assuming the supercharger was the only performance mod.

Personally, I would recommend looking online for JRE Racing. Ted Jannetty is the owner. If you email them they can tell you exactly what needs to happen. (Tell him Russ told you to email). I am sure there are others here...just haven't been back in the Corvette world long enough yet.
I wrote from contact form of jreraceengines.com and addressed to Ted Jannetty. Otherwise I also asked eastcoastsupercharging.com too, I hope somebody will reply. I think this "online tuning", "mail order tune" or how is called will a good solution. I will buy the neccesary tool/software and start the process.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 PM
hogurt
Drifting

I wrote from contact form of jreraceengines.com and addressed to Ted Jannetty. Otherwise I also asked eastcoastsupercharging.com too, I hope somebody will reply. I think this "online tuning", "mail order tune" or how is called will a good solution. I will buy the neccesary tool/software and start the process.
Have fun.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:21 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

You can do it by purchasing HP tuners at the same time. I can send you a base file that will be 99% of the way there already and you can send me log files for final tweaking. We have had to do this 100 times all over the world where GM tuners are scarce.

This is not a very difficult process, feel free to email us and we can discuss this further in depth, thanks for your interest in our products!
sz-zsombor (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 07:42 AM
sz-zsombor
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
You can do it by purchasing HP tuners at the same time. I can send you a base file that will be 99% of the way there already and you can send me log files for final tweaking. We have had to do this 100 times all over the world where GM tuners are scarce.

This is not a very difficult process, feel free to email us and we can discuss this further in depth, thanks for your interest in our products!
Is this the right item? And need any other tool, software, licence, credit...etc? I saw another e-bay link with higher price and with 4 credit. But of corse the "how to" questions later.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Tuners-M...1:pf:0&vxp=mtr
Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

When a tuner does a certain amount of the same tunes over and over again, they pretty much have the tune dialed in 99% like Doug said. At that point it's just very minor tweaking. This is how they come out with off the shelf tunes for mods. Many superchager companies have complete kits they sell with tuners that will have the car 99% dialed in just from tons of data from previous cars they have tested. I would certainly go with ESC as it's their kit and they are great to work with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tennispro1986:
DOUG @ ECS (01-02-2019), sz-zsombor (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 07:04 AM
sz-zsombor
Heel & Toe

Maybe not this is the right thread but a quesion about methanol kit (for example Alky). So here is my car: Grand Sport 2017 automatic. Only an ECS 1500 will be installed and tuned (only this without head, cam, headers or other mods. Just factory car + ECS 1500 + tune.). I still in learing process and I saw many people installed meth kit too. Now I think on this as a "nice to have" stuff. Still not for dragrace or trackdays but for touring with some pull outs. I heard the methanol kit causes better engine durability with better cooling, clean the pistons...etc. Of corse add some extra HP too. Maybe the gas mileage will better too? (average)
~$700 is not a big cost if it's an "investment" in daily driving for years, better engine durability. Or refute me if I'm in misunderstand (for example if the meth kit is good for race use only).
Old 01-02-2019, 08:44 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Maybe not this is the right thread but a quesion about methanol kit (for example Alky). So here is my car: Grand Sport 2017 automatic. Only an ECS 1500 will be installed and tuned (only this without head, cam, headers or other mods. Just factory car + ECS 1500 + tune.). I still in learing process and I saw many people installed meth kit too. Now I think on this as a "nice to have" stuff. Still not for dragrace or trackdays but for touring with some pull outs. I heard the methanol kit causes better engine durability with better cooling, clean the pistons...etc. Of corse add some extra HP too. Maybe the gas mileage will better too? (average)
~$700 is not a big cost if it's an "investment" in daily driving for years, better engine durability. Or refute me if I'm in misunderstand (for example if the meth kit is good for race use only).
Meth systems are a very common addition to a blower setup yes. Allows you to run a little more boost and supplement the fuel system when doing so. Also cools things down a bit. If you decide to do meth please get the Alky kit. Since Doug at ECS offered you tuning help that is the kit he will mandate I am sure. That is also the kit he probably has 200 tunes on his computer for. You're in good hands.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7&7:
DOUG @ ECS (01-02-2019), sz-zsombor (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Meth does three things.

1. It acts as a fuel supplement. At higher boost levels, more fuel is needed, so meth can be added for the extra fuel.

2. It reduces intake air temps significantly. With more boost equals more heat. Bringing down intake temps allows for more spark timing, which adds more power.

3. It sprays through the intake port, cleaning the intake valves which on direct injection engines like ours, helps prevent carbon build up.

I believe you would pick up about 50hp or so with an ECS kit if you add meth, so it comes down to if you want that extra horsepower or not. You're already gonna be in the high 500's I think, so with meth I would think somewhere like 630-650. I would just ask whoever you choose to do the tuning (hopefully Doug) about adding meth with stock catalytic converters.
sz-zsombor (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 04:29 PM
sz-zsombor
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
Meth does three things.

1. It acts as a fuel supplement. At higher boost levels, more fuel is needed, so meth can be added for the extra fuel.

2. It reduces intake air temps significantly. With more boost equals more heat. Bringing down intake temps allows for more spark timing, which adds more power.

3. It sprays through the intake port, cleaning the intake valves which on direct injection engines like ours, helps prevent carbon build up.

I believe you would pick up about 50hp or so with an ECS kit if you add meth, so it comes down to if you want that extra horsepower or not. You're already gonna be in the high 500's I think, so with meth I would think somewhere like 630-650. I would just ask whoever you choose to do the tuning (hopefully Doug) about adding meth with stock catalytic converters.
Do you think that I must cut off the cat? Or change the factory mid pipe to cat less x-pipe? (Corsa or Borla for example). I decided that I try not to be greedy too much and keep the car for daily driving...as I can. :-) Or a cat less xpipe is a nice to have stuff too?
I'm worry the car will too loud with closed npp valves too. Usually I use the sound in track mode always but I like the quiet mode when I dont want pity loud sound for example when I arriving somewhere. Or when I arriving in my garage (sleeping family). So I don't know how the quiet stealth sound will change after a cat less xpipe.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:18 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Do you think that I must cut off the cat? Or change the factory mid pipe to cat less x-pipe? (Corsa or Borla for example). I decided that I try not to be greedy too much and keep the car for daily driving...as I can. :-) Or a cat less xpipe is a nice to have stuff too?
I'm worry the car will too loud with closed npp valves too. Usually I use the sound in track mode always but I like the quiet mode when I dont want pity loud sound for example when I arriving somewhere. Or when I arriving in my garage (sleeping family). So I don't know how the quiet stealth sound will change after a cat less xpipe.
With my primary cats delete and borla x pipe, the car is still very quiet when the valves are closed, so you don't have to worry about it being too loud. I would contact a professional and ask them your questions about meth. Good luck
sz-zsombor (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:27 AM
sz-zsombor
Heel & Toe

Guys thank you very much!! Now I know everything. I'm pleased how big and helpful this corvetteforum. My last mission is convince my wife that the supercharger, the meth system and the xpipe will be neccesary She already shocked how strong this car.

Get notified of new replies

To ECS supercharger kit on C7 GS without tune?

Quick Reply: ECS supercharger kit on C7 GS without tune?