C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Lukes07Vette
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cam Options?

Hey all,
I am looking to modify my c7 Z06 to change the torque curve to be a little more like my previous C6 Z06. Can you engine gurus out there help me figure out what cam would be best for my desired outcome. I am well aware that changing the cam alone will not change the torque curve to exactly like the LS7. Any useful info would really help.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:19 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Give www.briantooleyracing.com a call tell them what you are looking for from the car & also what you have in the car as far as mods goes. They then can spec you out a cam just for your needs. This is the only way to go to me on a cam. But then again you can tell them to just spec you out a c7 cam to the spec of the ls7 spec cam... Robert
The following users liked this post:
Lukes07Vette (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 01:38 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Probably depends on the goals with your car? Street, strip, road race, etc.

There are tons of good cam options, but if you're looking for some specific use of the car it might help knowing.

If you're just looking for a nice HP gain and spirited street driving I would give LMR or Vengance or Texas Speed a call and they can hook you up with a cam package.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Lukes07Vette
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7
Probably depends on the goals with your car? Street, strip, road race, etc.

There are tons of good cam options, but if you're looking for some specific use of the car it might help knowing.

If you're just looking for a nice HP gain and spirited street driving I would give LMR or Vengance or Texas Speed a call and they can hook you up with a cam package.
I do mostly Daily Driving. I do drag and autocross as well. HP isn't as big of a deal as the way the torque feels. My c6 would continuously push me back in my seat as the RPM went up. My C7 gives a good inimical push but tapers off. I would prefer the continuous push if I have the option.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:21 PM
2014stingrayjoe
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ive got a complete cam kit stage 3 from vengeance racing with less than 1000 miles. phase limiter, c5r chain, comp lifters, springs from brian tooley, atc. were going solid roller f1x 1500hp build. let me know if you are interested. thanks, joe
Old 01-02-2019, 04:39 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lukes07Vette
I do mostly Daily Driving. I do drag and autocross as well. HP isn't as big of a deal as the way the torque feels. My c6 would continuously push me back in my seat as the RPM went up. My C7 gives a good inimical push but tapers off. I would prefer the continuous push if I have the option.
Man a cam isn't going to fix that for you. That's just the result from a positive displacement blower. It hits hard then falls off. If you google up the torque curve on a LT4 you can see it. A PD blower won't continue to make power like a NA car or centrifugal blower.

Last edited by C7&7; 01-02-2019 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lukes07Vette (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 PM
DTOM
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 407 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Would porting the blower help with this?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 AM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts

PM me your cell number and I will send you a video of my set up I just got back from Vengeance Racing. Stage 3 cam, ARH, Borla ATAK
Old 01-03-2019, 12:15 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DTOM
Would porting the blower help with this?
It would help make more power and torque, but it won't change how the torque curve feels to you. It'll hit harder then fall off the same. That's just what PD blowers do. Don't let someone talk you into a cam that has gobs of top end grunt and nothing down low.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey all,
I am looking to modify my c7 Z06 to change the torque curve to be a little more like my previous C6 Z06. Can you engine gurus out there help me figure out what cam would be best for my desired outcome. I am well aware that changing the cam alone will not change the torque curve to exactly like the LS7. Any useful info would really help.
Cam is going to be more for hp than torque. Your large torque gains will come from headers and supercharger overdrive. With our 1 7/8" headers and 15% overdrive kit I generally see 680-690 wtq on A8 cars.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:01 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

Sounds like you want a Procharger swap. The stock blower will always fall off up top but hits harder down low than others. The cam /bolt ons will make more power everywhere but still have a similar power curve. With procharger/meth/headers we are able to see 765-800rwhp on the C7Z without other mods. That will set you back in the seat harder the higher you spin it.

Let me know if your around DE and you could swing by our shop to discuss options. We almost always have Procharged C7Z's here, as well as cammed stock blower builds.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Man a cam isn't going to fix that for you. That's just the result from a positive displacement blower. It hits hard then falls off. If you google up the torque curve on a LT4 you can see it. A PD blower won't continue to make power like a NA car or centrifugal blower.
Sounds like you have some really faulty old information. Or perhaps you are going off feel?

For certain the centri's build boost with RPM's so I think that the centri would definitely provide more of the feel OP is looking for.

At the same time, the PD blowers are at peek boost as soon as you mash the pedal and they stay there throughout. When you look at the numbers at the same boost levels wirh the same cam, PD's make significantly more torque, period. You might say they "fall off", but even with the second car only running 10psi still over 600wtq at redline.

in reality the difference is seat of the pants. The torque hits right at the beginning and there is no letup...but there is also no building of boost as experienced with the centri.

for what it's worth, I have run the Vortech and 2 Prochargers, P1 qnd D1 on Vettes...so I completely get the different feel. But performance shows it to be a bit of a mirage.

Here are a couple samples of the PD blower torque curve when not using the anemic LT4 blower:

Old 01-04-2019, 01:27 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Another sample of the PD falloff...if by "fall off", you mean flat like a table.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:37 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hogurt
Another sample of the PD falloff...if by "fall off", you mean flat like a table.

Appreciate the dyno charts, but the the OP has a stock blower and that's what we're discussing simply falls off throughout the power band.

Also nobody is arguing a PD blower comes on hard and has somewhat of a flat torque curve, but it's a fact they do fall off compared to a centrifugal that will come in slower but continue to build power and torque for that gradual hold you in the seat feeling the OP was talking about.

Last edited by C7&7; 01-04-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:55 PM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Give us call I will put you a package together with one of our custom cams.
Thanks,
Billy
Old 01-04-2019, 08:07 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Appreciate the dyno charts, but the the OP has a stock blower and that's what we're discussing simply falls off throughout the power band.

Also nobody is arguing a PD blower comes on hard and has somewhat of a flat torque curve, but it's a fact they do fall off compared to a centrifugal that will come in slower but continue to build power and torque for that gradual hold you in the seat feeling the OP was talking about.
i agree that the centri might provide the feel of building...but it is not reality. It's a feel. In reality, the feel is simply a function of running no boost, 2psi, 4psi, 6psi, and peaking at 10psi right before readline. With the PD, the power is all in right from the beginning (10psi from 2000-6500rpm's) and the area under the curve is a substantial advantage...to go with more torque at the same boost throughout.

The exact same is true with the stock LT4 blower. It just can't provide as much boost/power as the other more capable blowers. With the right cam, however, he should have a graph that looks just like the ones I have posted. I can probably grab some with the stock LT4 blower too.

Please note, I am not really arguing with you other than to say, the notion the torque of a PD falls off is fallacious (because at the same boost level the PD generates more torque everywhere in the band). The torque curve will definitely reflect the cam profile.

I think I wrote this earlier too, but the centri may be a better fit for what the OP wants to feel (until he is running with a centri that has traction).

Unless you are going full race setup with the F1...different game. . .and even that is likely to change since all of the 2650 PD's are just being released.

That being said, if running a manual transmission, the centri really might be a great choice (and I may return to the centri on my new addition).

Last edited by hogurt; 01-04-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 PM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Vr cam

got to admit... love the sound if nothing else!

Last edited by jabeasley1; 01-04-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam Options?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey all,
Check out this camshaft that we chose for this customers Zo6 corvette! Really awesome power with this package that we performed as well as the sound is just amazing, This kit we would perform would also include our DOD Delete kit as shown below, for extra info shoot me a pm or a call at 313-561-5500 ext 104 my name is cody and ill be glad to assist you! Below i have attached a picture of one of our specials going on right now as well as a video of the idle with the camshaft installed:

Last edited by Livernois Motorsports; 01-10-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 01-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

I had the BTR installed and couldn't be happier. That thing is a beast!

Quick Reply: Cam Options?