Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramped up

Old 01-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Taevon lee
CF Senior Member

Default Ramped up

opinions on the best car ramps for my 2018 stingray, not lowered. I see a lot of choices out there, I just want to do my own service work at 73 this is the first car Iíve had to take in for oil changes, I have one free one left, then itís on me. Any advice will be appreciated thanx in advance.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM
1BadRS
CF Member

get the 2 piece race ramps. They are expensive for ramps, but they are light, long and very easy to get the car on.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1BadRS For This Useful Post:
Avanti (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:58 PM
MMD
CF Senior Member

oil
Originally Posted by Taevon lee View Post
opinions on the best car ramps for my 2018 stingray, not lowered. I see a lot of choices out there, I just want to do my own service work at 73 this is the first car Iíve had to take in for oil changes, I have one free one left, then itís on me. Any advice will be appreciated thanx in advance.
Make sure your get the " Race Ramps" brand. These are the best. Not made from plastic and they don't move when you drive up them like other wannabes do. I have been using them for 6 years to do exactly what you want. Just did my 500 mile change on my GS last month using them, There is a vendor on here that sells them. Look in the Marketplace menu for Vendor "Reverse Logic Limited" and chat with Fred. He'll set you up. Go here to check them out.

http://www.reverselogic.us/
The Following User Says Thank You to MMD For This Useful Post:
ImpliedConsent (01-21-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Avanti
CF Senior Member

Yes, two-piece Race Ramps are the way to go! I highly recommend them. Mine just clear my '18 'Ray as delivered.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Sconn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MMD View Post
oil
Make sure your get the " Race Ramps" brand. These are the best. Not made from plastic and they don't move when you drive up them like other wannabes do. I have been using them for 6 years to do exactly what you want. Just did my 500 mile change on my GS last month using them, There is a vendor on here that sells them. Look in the Marketplace menu for Vendor "Reverse Logic Limited" and chat with Fred. He'll set you up. Go here to check them out.

http://www.reverselogic.us/
Had a set move on me. Could have been worse than it was, but still scary.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Thanked 3,203 Times in 2,149 Posts

If you are a typical Corvette Owner that puts 6K or less miles per year on the car you only one need oil change per year. One trip to the dealership per year is not a bad thing to do since you can have them check other things as well.

Bill
Old 01-07-2019, 07:55 PM
MMD
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
If you are a typical Corvette Owner that puts 6K or less miles per year on the car you only one need oil change per year. One trip to the dealership per year is not a bad thing to do since you can have them check other things as well.

Bill
they are helpful if you detail your vehicle. It's a lot easier on the back to use them then without using them.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:19 PM
Patman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,284 Times in 806 Posts

I just have the basic Race Ramps (the one piece 56" model) and even though mine is lowered one inch these ramps still work well for me. So if you're on a budget, just go for these ones and you'll be fine especially since your car isn't lowered so it'll give you even more clearance.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:35 PM
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Patman View Post
I just have the basic Race Ramps (the one piece 56" model) and even though mine is lowered one inch these ramps still work well for me. So if you're on a budget, just go for these ones and you'll be fine especially since your car isn't lowered so it'll give you even more clearance.
Just to clarify: do you have a aftermarket front splitter? I'm seriously considering the 67" RR-XT-2 ramps because my front splitter is only 4" from the ground. Is 67" overkill then?
Old 01-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Patman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,284 Times in 806 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
Just to clarify: do you have a aftermarket front splitter? I'm seriously considering the 67" RR-XT-2 ramps because my front splitter is only 4" from the ground. Is 67" overkill then?
Mine is just a base Stingray so I have no splitter at all, so I'm not sure what would work best for those with splitters.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:48 PM
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor

The RR-XT-2 (67" ramps) have the same exact slope as the RR-56-2 ramps, 10.8 degrees. So when the ramps are pushed up against the tires the car-to-ramp clearance is the same for both of these ramps models. Think of the additional length of the RR-XT-2 ramps as being added to the higher end of the ramps. That's why they are 10" high compared to 8" for the 56" ramps.

To visualize the clearance for a 10.8 degree ramp, do this slight variation of the yardstick test described on the Race Ramps website.

1) Push a yardstick up against the inboard edge of the front tire.
2) Prop the opposite end of the yardstick up so that it is 7.25" high. You can prop the yardstick up anywhere along its length using whatever convenient item you have kicking around (ie. block of wood, can of paint, brick, etc)
3) Keep in mind that the clearance will increase as you climb the ramps because the effective approach angle increases as long as the rear tires are still on the ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 PM
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
1) Push a yardstick up against the inboard edge of the front tire.
2) Prop the opposite end of the yardstick up so that it is 7.25" high. You can prop the yardstick up anywhere along its length using whatever convenient item you have kicking around (ie. block of wood, can of paint, brick, etc)
Yeah, so I tried, but I'm bending (scraping) the yardstick to get 7.25. I'd have to have a smaller angle of approach. I don't want to hijack this guy's thread, but I guess it ties into his "what's best" question.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:40 PM
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor

Yeah, so I tried, but I'm bending (scraping) the yardstick to get 7.25. I'd have to have a smaller angle of approach. I don't want to hijack this guy's thread, but I guess it ties into his "what's best" question.
If you can raise the yardstick to 6" then the RR-80-10-2 ramp with an 8.5 degree approach angle will work.

If you can raise the yardstick to 5" then you can use one of the options with a 6.8 degree slope. This includes RR-72-2, RLL-80-2, RLL-87-2 and adding an Extender ramp to either the RR-56-2 or RR-XT-2.
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:10 PM
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you can raise the yardstick to 6" then the RR-80-10-2 ramp with an 8.5 degree approach angle will work..
That's it right there. I can get about 6.5" no scrape. Thanks for response. I hope the OP learned something from my hijack. Sorry.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:28 AM
djbelt
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I really like my KWIK-LIFT. My 2 car garage gets crowded, so I park my 2016 LBR on it, and with the caster kit I can move it all the way to the wall to give the better half all the room she needs. A bit pricey, but it works great for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 PM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

The race ramps work great. That said I bought a quickjack last year and it is so much better. I keep them in the center of the garage and park over them. I use a separate set of race ramps for my trailer but I doubt I will ever use mine again just for an oil change etc. With the quickjack I do oil changes and tire changes with no problems at all.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:52 AM
lakemg
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb View Post
The race ramps work great. That said I bought a quickjack last year and it is so much better. I keep them in the center of the garage and park over them. I use a separate set of race ramps for my trailer but I doubt I will ever use mine again just for an oil change etc. With the quickjack I do oil changes and tire changes with no problems at all.
I love my race ramps, but you got me thinking about the quickjack...it definitely would be a huge help for rotating tires (for my non-staggered wheel cars).

Last edited by lakemg; 01-27-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:26 PM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

I end up using them almost every week. I can do it without any help and I don't have to worry about driving up a ramp. They really are a lot better buy. If you subtract what the race ramps cost from the cost of the quickjack it's a great deal. They are also having a sale now I think. Someone on the forum had a code for 100 off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ramped up

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: