C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramped up

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Ramped up

opinions on the best car ramps for my 2018 stingray, not lowered. I see a lot of choices out there, I just want to do my own service work at 73 this is the first car I’ve had to take in for oil changes, I have one free one left, then it’s on me. Any advice will be appreciated thanx in advance.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM
1BadRS
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

get the 2 piece race ramps. They are expensive for ramps, but they are light, long and very easy to get the car on.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 01:58 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

oil
Originally Posted by Taevon lee
opinions on the best car ramps for my 2018 stingray, not lowered. I see a lot of choices out there, I just want to do my own service work at 73 this is the first car I’ve had to take in for oil changes, I have one free one left, then it’s on me. Any advice will be appreciated thanx in advance.
Make sure your get the " Race Ramps" brand. These are the best. Not made from plastic and they don't move when you drive up them like other wannabes do. I have been using them for 6 years to do exactly what you want. Just did my 500 mile change on my GS last month using them, There is a vendor on here that sells them. Look in the Marketplace menu for Vendor "Reverse Logic Limited" and chat with Fred. He'll set you up. Go here to check them out.

http://www.reverselogic.us/
ImpliedConsent (01-21-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:01 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Yes, two-piece Race Ramps are the way to go! I highly recommend them. Mine just clear my '18 'Ray as delivered.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
oil
Make sure your get the " Race Ramps" brand. These are the best. Not made from plastic and they don't move when you drive up them like other wannabes do. I have been using them for 6 years to do exactly what you want. Just did my 500 mile change on my GS last month using them, There is a vendor on here that sells them. Look in the Marketplace menu for Vendor "Reverse Logic Limited" and chat with Fred. He'll set you up. Go here to check them out.

http://www.reverselogic.us/
Had a set move on me. Could have been worse than it was, but still scary.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

If you are a typical Corvette Owner that puts 6K or less miles per year on the car you only one need oil change per year. One trip to the dealership per year is not a bad thing to do since you can have them check other things as well.

Bill
Old 01-07-2019, 06:55 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are a typical Corvette Owner that puts 6K or less miles per year on the car you only one need oil change per year. One trip to the dealership per year is not a bad thing to do since you can have them check other things as well.

Bill
they are helpful if you detail your vehicle. It's a lot easier on the back to use them then without using them.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I just have the basic Race Ramps (the one piece 56" model) and even though mine is lowered one inch these ramps still work well for me. So if you're on a budget, just go for these ones and you'll be fine especially since your car isn't lowered so it'll give you even more clearance.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I just have the basic Race Ramps (the one piece 56" model) and even though mine is lowered one inch these ramps still work well for me. So if you're on a budget, just go for these ones and you'll be fine especially since your car isn't lowered so it'll give you even more clearance.
Just to clarify: do you have a aftermarket front splitter? I'm seriously considering the 67" RR-XT-2 ramps because my front splitter is only 4" from the ground. Is 67" overkill then?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Just to clarify: do you have a aftermarket front splitter? I'm seriously considering the 67" RR-XT-2 ramps because my front splitter is only 4" from the ground. Is 67" overkill then?
Mine is just a base Stingray so I have no splitter at all, so I'm not sure what would work best for those with splitters.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:48 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

The RR-XT-2 (67" ramps) have the same exact slope as the RR-56-2 ramps, 10.8 degrees. So when the ramps are pushed up against the tires the car-to-ramp clearance is the same for both of these ramps models. Think of the additional length of the RR-XT-2 ramps as being added to the higher end of the ramps. That's why they are 10" high compared to 8" for the 56" ramps.

To visualize the clearance for a 10.8 degree ramp, do this slight variation of the yardstick test described on the Race Ramps website.

1) Push a yardstick up against the inboard edge of the front tire.
2) Prop the opposite end of the yardstick up so that it is 7.25" high. You can prop the yardstick up anywhere along its length using whatever convenient item you have kicking around (ie. block of wood, can of paint, brick, etc)
3) Keep in mind that the clearance will increase as you climb the ramps because the effective approach angle increases as long as the rear tires are still on the ground.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:35 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
1) Push a yardstick up against the inboard edge of the front tire.
2) Prop the opposite end of the yardstick up so that it is 7.25" high. You can prop the yardstick up anywhere along its length using whatever convenient item you have kicking around (ie. block of wood, can of paint, brick, etc)
Yeah, so I tried, but I'm bending (scraping) the yardstick to get 7.25. I'd have to have a smaller angle of approach. I don't want to hijack this guy's thread, but I guess it ties into his "what's best" question.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:40 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, so I tried, but I'm bending (scraping) the yardstick to get 7.25. I'd have to have a smaller angle of approach. I don't want to hijack this guy's thread, but I guess it ties into his "what's best" question.
If you can raise the yardstick to 6" then the RR-80-10-2 ramp with an 8.5 degree approach angle will work.

If you can raise the yardstick to 5" then you can use one of the options with a 6.8 degree slope. This includes RR-72-2, RLL-80-2, RLL-87-2 and adding an Extender ramp to either the RR-56-2 or RR-XT-2.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:10 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
If you can raise the yardstick to 6" then the RR-80-10-2 ramp with an 8.5 degree approach angle will work..
That's it right there. I can get about 6.5" no scrape. Thanks for response. I hope the OP learned something from my hijack. Sorry.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 PM
djbelt
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I really like my KWIK-LIFT. My 2 car garage gets crowded, so I park my 2016 LBR on it, and with the caster kit I can move it all the way to the wall to give the better half all the room she needs. A bit pricey, but it works great for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:47 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

The race ramps work great. That said I bought a quickjack last year and it is so much better. I keep them in the center of the garage and park over them. I use a separate set of race ramps for my trailer but I doubt I will ever use mine again just for an oil change etc. With the quickjack I do oil changes and tire changes with no problems at all.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:52 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
The race ramps work great. That said I bought a quickjack last year and it is so much better. I keep them in the center of the garage and park over them. I use a separate set of race ramps for my trailer but I doubt I will ever use mine again just for an oil change etc. With the quickjack I do oil changes and tire changes with no problems at all.
I love my race ramps, but you got me thinking about the quickjack...it definitely would be a huge help for rotating tires (for my non-staggered wheel cars).

Last edited by lakemg; 01-27-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I end up using them almost every week. I can do it without any help and I don't have to worry about driving up a ramp. They really are a lot better buy. If you subtract what the race ramps cost from the cost of the quickjack it's a great deal. They are also having a sale now I think. Someone on the forum had a code for 100 off.

Get notified of new replies

To Ramped up

Quick Reply: Ramped up