C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soften clutch pedal push required?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Edinacorvette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Soften clutch pedal push required?

Hello - I searched here and Google and coming up nada, I'm asking the ?
I have a 2014 z51 M7, 31k miles, all stock.
While I enjoy leg day driving it, is there any way to reduce the amount a pressure needed to push the clutch pedal? Maybe use a different spring attached to the pedal?
thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:14 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Have you considered a pedal extension? In theory your leg wouldn't have to extend as much to get the clutch fully in.
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...sion-2014.html
This would not change the effort required or the pivot point but its an easy mod to test. Compared to my Nissan 350Z the C7 clutch is very easy to push in. The Nissan was like having a gym membership! On the flip side the lightest clutch pedal I have ever experienced was a Volvo C30 (nobody bought these they are very rare), I swear you could push it to the floor with just a toe!
Old 01-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
Have you considered a pedal extension? In theory your leg wouldn't have to extend as much to get the clutch fully in.
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...sion-2014.html
This would not change the effort required or the pivot point but its an easy mod to test. Compared to my Nissan 350Z the C7 clutch is very easy to push in. The Nissan was like having a gym membership! On the flip side the lightest clutch pedal I have ever experienced was a Volvo C30 (nobody bought these they are very rare), I swear you could push it to the floor with just a toe!
I think the OP is trying to reduce the effort required to operate the clutch, not that he can't reach the pedal, which I think is what this extension would do.
Only way to reduce the pedal effort is to lengthen the pedal (which increases the stroke) or change the master cylinder to a smaller bore (which also increases the stroke).

Old 01-09-2019, 11:19 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

What about the ZR1 or McLeod dual disc? Perhaps the effort is much lighter on it, but I don't have a way to check. On paper it should be.

Has anyone driven both and noticed any difference between the ZR1 and Z06 clutches?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:47 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

When I bought mine I started extra strength training on the left leg.Now i'm fine.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Edinacorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by thrilled
When I bought mine I started extra strength training on the left leg.Now i'm fine.
Funny, lol. My left calf is now larger too. I read guys we're swapping the c5 spring to the c6 to reduce the pressure. I couldn't find an answer, could the c5 fit the c7?
<thanks for the info about the master cylinder. I might just have to live with walking lopsided from a larger left leg, haha>

Last edited by Edinacorvette; 01-10-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:12 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Edinacorvette
Funny, lol. My left calf is now larger too. I read guys we're swapping the c5 spring to the c6 to reduce the pressure. I couldn't find an answer, could the c5 fit the c7?
<thanks for the info about the master cylinder. I might just have to live with walking lopsided from a larger left leg, haha>
That spring isn't what your leg is working against, it's not more than a simple pedal return spring. The leg workout you're referring to is from the pressure plate, not the pedal spring.
The following users liked this post:
Rayland (01-18-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Edinacorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by davepl
That spring isn't what your leg is working against, it's not more than a simple pedal return spring. The leg workout you're referring to is from the pressure plate, not the pedal spring.
I understand now, thank you!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

A lever (pedal arm) long enough "... and I'll move the world." Archimedes.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Hard to imagine making the stock clutch any easier to operate. It is damned easy in stock form.

Bill
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 PM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Hard to imagine making the stock clutch any easier to operate. It is damned easy in stock form.

Bill
I agree. Those with concerns about the modern day hydraulic clutch actuation would have really been unhappy with a mid-sixties mechanical linkage.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

I have mechanical linkage on the M-20 and on the TKO-600, they're both a lot heavier than a base hydraulic clutch! But it's also 40 years later!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

FWIW I'd thick a stiff clutch is related to the spring fingers on the pressure plate to throw out bearing.

I don't think there is an easy cure, yet some options are posted above.
I also believe there is a tension return spring on the pedal to the under dash framing, yet I don't think
changing that is what the OP is complaining about.
Lastly I didn't see a mention if this was the factory clutch or a replacement.
If replacement, well maybe there is an assembly or product issue.

So a clutch fluid flush may be the only easy option and then report if this improves the situation.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

On the C6 many people simply remove the clutch pedal spring altogether without issues, and also without long term issues as well. Much more comfortable to drive.

The original equipment C6 spring was uncomfortable, and switched to the lighter spring, or removing it completely, was much more comfortable car to drive. After years of either modification I never heard of any resulting issues.

I have not yet even looked up under the dash to see if the C7 even has a spring...

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 01-18-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Soften clutch pedal push required?

Quick Reply: Soften clutch pedal push required?