Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Cold Air for C7

Old 02-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Dcasole
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
You know that In track mode, as long as you're not below 1750 rpm in 4th gear, the exhaust is wide open at all times. At least in the manual.
Yep I know, I want them open at all times , closing at 1750 is unacceptable to me

Dave
Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Johnsz51
CF Member

Thanks Dave for all the answers. Also I got the A8 so not sure how the exhaust Moses work but she is louder when you turn the dial lol.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 PM
Dcasole
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Johnsz51 View Post
Thanks Dave for all the answers. Also I got the A8 so not sure how the exhaust Moses work but she is louder when you turn the dial lol.
No problem at all , if u want to see if a mild to wild switch is for u , pull the NPP fuse . If you like it you can get a mild to wild switch and then pair it with the buttons on your visor to open and close depending on your mood lol

Good luck with the Vararam , I am sure you will love it ..

Dave
Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 AM
Poppacapp
CF Senior Member

I have the Halltech.

IMO only replacing the filter does not help as much as a replacement CAI due to the OEM intake tube sound baffles which interrupt linear airflow into the throttle body in favor of sound reduction.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM
David Gordon
CF Senior Member

Anyone tried one the the ported throttle bodies? I have seen anywhere from no gains to 12 rwhp gains.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Gordon For This Useful Post:
marsheng (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Dcasole
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by David Gordon View Post
Anyone tried one the the ported throttle bodies? I have seen anywhere from no gains to 12 rwhp gains.
So I have one to install , but only because I got a smoking combo deal on a ported manifold and throttle body , there are gains with porting a LT 1 intake but I don't really think there will be any gain with the ported throttle body on my LT1 other than better throttle response

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Dcasole For This Useful Post:
David Gordon (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM
[email protected]
Premium Supporting Vendor

Matt at Dedicated Motorsports ran back to back tests on intakes recently. I think it was a C7Z but the best combo was a halltech intake with a green filter, which happens to be the same combo we've used in house and had great results. Not in for debate just throwing the info out.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Johnsz51
CF Member

On the Z06 there is not much debate pick a drop in filter or a Cali and there is gains for sure with the supercharger but the LT1 different story. Makes sense they use the same intake for both cars so must be choked up on the Z06 or we got all the intake we need lol
Old 02-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Bubbletop409
CF Senior Member

This is a little off subject, but while waiting for service on my car I was checking out the dealers inventory of new Corvettes, One of the cars noted in the optional equipment column that it included the new GM performance air intake system for $ 595.00, with a note stating it was a dealer installed option.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:52 PM
James Dean

I have very limited experience with the C7 platform but the shop ran by a friend sees some intakes suffer more from heatsoak so take that into consideration.

Very consistent and simple gains do come from a ported throttle body and a filter like BMS' drop in.

It's a bit more power everywhere with no heat soak so it stays consistent.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 PM
David Gordon
CF Senior Member

Waste of money.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:32 AM
Johnsz51
CF Member

Waste of money.
David I seen you had a Vararam on order so when you say waste of money please be more informative. Did you receive intake and not like it or just putting a drop in with a ported throttle body. Thanks

Last edited by Johnsz51; 02-14-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 AM
David Gordon
CF Senior Member

I read the GM press article, said NO horsepower gain on regular Vette, 11 horsepower on a ZO6. All that for $600. I based it off their own press release.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Dcasole
CF Senior Member

I read the GM press article, said NO horsepower gain on regular Vette, 11 horsepower on a ZO6. All that for $600. I based it off their own press release.
David , no cold air or air cleaner will add HP unless there is a restriction like on a Z06 but what the Vararam did for me was lower my IAT on my LT1 enough to stop the ECM from pulling timing and allowed the engine to produce all the power it is supposed to make . A car on a dyno with fans blowing on it s not going to show this gain . I can only speak to my experience on both my C6 and now on my C7 . Is it better at not allowing heat transfer thru the tube , is it because its pulling air from the area by the hood fender seam , dont know but what I can say is I log every run I do at the drag strip along with weather conditions, 60 ft times etc and I have seen a huge improvement in my times

Folks have stated they got dyno gains just from removing the plastic piece that covers a hole directly over the air box located on the fender by the hood hinge , is this because it reduced the restrictions or because it allows the stock air setup to pull cold air from the same place the Vararam is pulling from .... dont know ....

Dave
Old 02-14-2019, 03:24 PM
David Gordon
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dcasole View Post
David , no cold air or air cleaner will add HP unless there is a restriction like on a Z06 but what the Vararam did for me was lower my IAT on my LT1 enough to stop the ECM from pulling timing and allowed the engine to produce all the power it is supposed to make . A car on a dyno with fans blowing on it s not going to show this gain . I can only speak to my experience on both my C6 and now on my C7 . Is it better at not allowing heat transfer thru the tube , is it because its pulling air from the area by the hood fender seam , dont know but what I can say is I log every run I do at the drag strip along with weather conditions, 60 ft times etc and I have seen a huge improvement in my times

Folks have stated they got dyno gains just from removing the plastic piece that covers a hole directly over the air box located on the fender by the hood hinge , is this because it reduced the restrictions or because it allows the stock air setup to pull cold air from the same place the Vararam is pulling from .... dont know ....

Dave
I believe you, but it stand to reason that the smoother bellow and less restrictive pieces will let all the air in as the engine can use. I have had 4 Vettes 3 SS LS1 camaros and several Mustangs and Cobras. They all benefited some from the Cold air kits we added. I added the new Vararam to my 18 GS and it sounds fantastic. Did it gain rwhp who knows, but once I add a tune, a ported throttlebody and put the Borlas X-pipe on it I feel the added airflow will help the car make more power.
The Cold air kit I was referring to was the Jake piece GM makes and sell for $625, only the airbox.

Last edited by David Gordon; 02-14-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:39 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Johnsz51 View Post
David I seen you had a Vararam on order so when you say waste of money please be more informative. Did you receive intake and not like it or just putting a drop in with a ported throttle body. Thanks
He is talking about the gm "performance" airbox.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:41 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Dave
Hmmm I never heard of this plastic piece. Got a link? Or do you mean the guy that made a ram air intake out of his brake duct? No thanks. I track my car.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 02-14-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Dcasole
CF Senior Member

The Cold air kit I was referring to was the Jake piece GM makes and sell for $625, only the airbox.
Ah, I see , yes I agree the $600 box is a waste

Dave
Old 02-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Dcasole
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
Hmmm I never heard of this plastic piece. Got a link? Or do you mean the guy that made a ram air intake out of his brake duct? No thanks. I track my car.
I track mine also so.......

No not that guy , there was a post here where a guy posted back to back dyno results, if you open your hood and look on the passenger side right by the air intake , right at the joint between the fender and front bumper there is a plastic piece that is snapped into a hole in the fender , that is what he removed

I could not place what he was taking off so I went out to the garage and looked at my car and sure enough on both sides is this black plastic cover , when u unsnap it there are two holes that lead right into the air box

Dave
Old 02-14-2019, 07:11 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

I track mine also so.......

No not that guy , there was a post here where a guy posted back to back dyno results, if you open your hood and look on the passenger side right by the air intake , right at the joint between the fender and front bumper there is a plastic piece that is snapped into a hole in the fender , that is what he removed

I could not place what he was taking off so I went out to the garage and looked at my car and sure enough on both sides is this black plastic cover , when u unsnap it there are two holes that lead right into the air box

Dave
This guy?

The Following User Says Thank You to BrunoTheMellow For This Useful Post:
Dcasole (02-14-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Cold Air for C7

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: